Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 28: Gourgères

• 13-07-2012 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys! I'm making Gourgères. They are essentially Cheese Puffs. I learned how to make these when i was living in France last year. The reason I'm doing them for my week is because they are so simple to make and really tasty also! When i made them i actually forgot to buy chives so i added more cheese :pac: They didnt quite turn out right when i did them and sorry for the crap camera quality :o

What you need:
    • 125ml water
    • 40g of butter, cut into cubes
    • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
    • generous pinch of Chilli Powder or Black Pepper (I like to use a mixture of the two)
    • 70g of Flour
    • 2 large eggs
    • 12 chives, finely chopped/minced (Optional)
    • About 90g of grated Gruyère cheese, but if you dont have it, you can substitute any other grated cheese!

DSCN0963.jpg

Method

1) Preheat the oven to 220C and line a tray with greaseproof paper.

2) Heat the water, butter salt and Chilli/Pepper in a saucepan until the butter has melted
    DSCN0964.jpg

3) Add all over the flour and stir quickly and firmly until it pulls away from the sides to form a small ball and leave rest for 3 minutes
    DSCN0965.jpg

4) Add the eggs one at a time and stirring quickly to make sure the eggs dont "cook". It may appear lumpy at first but it does smooth out.

5) Add your chives and 3/4 of the cheese and stir well

6) Mould your mixture into small balls around the size of cherry tomatoes. You can use a piping bag or if you are like me and dont have one you can put it into a sandwich bag into one particular corner with pressure on it, cut off a small corner and use it that way or use wet hands to create them or two wet spoons work also.
    DSCN0969.jpg

7) Top up each puff with the remaining cheese and place in the oven

8) Bake for 10 mins then turn down the oven to 190C and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes until they are golden brown!

DSCN0971.jpg

They are best served warm. But it is possible to make them in advance the night before. All you need to do is heat them in a low oven for 5-10 mins before serving!

Enjoy! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I first had these at a friend's party. They were delicious when served warm. I asked her for the recipe and it was Martha Stewart's, but never actually gave it a go myself. How many puffs would you get out of this recipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Hey Mrs Fox.

I always screw up with the sizes in this recipe and forget how big they can puff out (sometimes not perfectly). But i generally make 11 fairly big ones and 8 normal ones. But if you kept to the normal small size you would be looking at around 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

my kinda food ill be making this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

These look delicious! Does anyone know if I could use blue cheese in this recipe?

ilovetorun wrote: »
    These look delicious! Does anyone know if I could use blue cheese in this recipe?

Hey!

Im sure you could. I used Chedder Cheese when i made them as i had no Gruyere cheese at the time. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Thanks Pixie Fairy, gonna make these Friday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Just after gorging on these, they're so yum and addictive. Used cheddar and spring onions, and sprinkled parmesan on top. I may have accidentally added extra water in the batter so it was a bit runny. Extra flour didn't seem to firm it up into a dough so I spooned the batter into a bun tin. Result! Thanks Pixie/herisson.

IMG_20141016_125118_zpsjqtnyoil.jpg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Just after gorging on these, they're so yum and addictive. Used cheddar and spring onions, and sprinkled parmesan on top. I may have accidentally added extra water in the batter so it was a bit runny. Extra flour didn't seem to firm it up into a dough so I spooned the batter into a bun tin. Result! Thanks Pixie/herisson.

IMG_20141016_125118_zpsjqtnyoil.jpg

They look gorgeous!

I haven't made these in ages, completely forgot about this thread. :o

I'll make them this weekend.

Glad you enjoyed them :)

Advertisement