Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann prices

• 28-12-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Do anyone of you know if Bus Eireann are increasing there prices from wexford to dublin in Jan 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yes they are,by approx 5% it seems.....the entire mishmash is here...

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Cie-operators-fares-increases-Dec-2011.pdf

Cudda been worse.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Would ya not check the private operator on the route for fares?

o/t
    It's peculiar that Dublin to Drogheda is listed as a commuter route by BÉ but Dublin to Wicklow a similar distance isn't listed as a commuter route.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

o/t
    It's peculiar that Dublin to Drogheda is listed as a commuter route by BÉ but Dublin to Wicklow a similar distance isn't listed as a commuter route.

It does say that they are examples directly above the table and therefore not exhaustive. Dublin/Wicklow is definitely a commuter service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

At the moment there isn't much difference between Bus Éireann and Wexford Bus day fares, a day return from Wexford town to Dublin (city) is €19.50 with BÉ, Wexford Bus offering an anytime return at €20. Likewise the day return fare from Gorey is the same (€18). However, when it comes to monthly returns the differences become apparent; BÉ charge €24 in this regard. Similarly Wexford Bus are already significantly cheaper when it comes to weekly tickets (€60 for an adult Wexford-Dublin versus BÉ charging €66.70 for a 10-journey ticket on the same route).

Wexford Bus already have edge (south of Arklow) in terms of journey times, with BÉ really only winning on frequency here. So taking all this into account one might question the wisdom of further fare increases on the 002, it'll only drive its County Wexford passengers to the competition. Granted it probably won't affect the Arklow business as badly simply because the Wexford Bus stop is less than conveniently placed outside the town itself.

It will be nearly three years since the fares went up but bear in mind they actually went up twice on the 002 in 2009. From memory in January 2009 the adult return fare from Gorey to Dublin rose from €15 to €16, going up to €18 around late February/March, presumably to do with the increased service, but if goes any further it will have been quite a significant price rise over the less than half a decade.

Niles wrote: »

Wexford Bus already have edge (south of Arklow) in terms of journey times, with BÉ really only winning on frequency here.
    So taking all this into account one might question the wisdom of further fare increases on the 002, it'll only drive its County Wexford passengers to the competition. Granted it probably won't affect the Arklow business as badly simply because the Wexford Bus stop is less than conveniently placed outside the town itself.

Niles,not being a Sunny South-Easter myself,how do Wexford Bus manage to achieve the better journey times vs BÉ ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Niles,not being a Sunny South-Easter myself,how do Wexford Bus manage to achieve the better journey times vs BÉ ?
    Arklow is a request stop meaning that if you wish to be collected there heading south you must ring beforehand to arrange pickup, also their busses don't go into Arklow but pickup out on the old Dublin road which probably saves a lot of time. They also take a different route through the city centre and have less stops in Dublin.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Do Wexford Bus accept free travel passes ? Are they strict ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

If Wexford bus now have a higher potential to grab customers from Wexford, surely BE should be renumbering a few of the buses which serve as commuting runs in Gorey and Arklow to 384s, saving a few pennies by not travelling as far as Rosslare with an empty bus.

parsi wrote: »

Strict...?

I'm curious Parsi......:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wexford bus 10 journey flexi ticket is the way to go. 80 clams, lasts forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Strict...?

Do private operators generally accept free travel passes? Is there some scheme for them to claim back the cost of the journey or something? Would imagine it would be difficult to administer.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Do private operators generally accept free travel passes? Is there some scheme for them to claim back the cost of the journey or something? Would imagine it would be difficult to administer.

My granny and her sister were going to Wexford and they got the Ardcavan bus. They had their travel passes so it didn't cost them anything. They usually get the Bus Eireann bus when they are going down to Wexford but they said the Ardcavan bus was much faster as it doesn't stop in Wicklow.

http://www.ardcavan.com/dublin_september_2011.pdf

http://wexfordbus.com/fares/wexford-dublin-city/

According to their website they accept the free travel pass on all routes.

And I doubt they would be strict unless you arrived after departure when they probably would not let you travel!

but if you mean do they check passes and look for photo id i would think they might have a system like JJ Kavanagh's where those with Free passes must fill out a ticket with their name address and pps number as well as date of travel and start and end points, AFAIK JJ Kavanagh's also reserve the right to ask for passport driving licence or other photo id if you are not known to the driver/staff

The buses bypass Arklow town using the motorway, the stop is located some way outside of the town itself (on the old Dublin road, towards the Rubgy club). At peak times avoiding the Arklow traffic would make a difference (the fact that BÉ have five stops in Arklow doesn't help). I suspect this gives them something of an edge in terms of journey times.

The buses bypass Arklow town using the motorway, the stop is located some way outside of the town itself (on the old Dublin road, towards the Rubgy club). At peak times avoiding the Arklow traffic would make a difference (the fact that BÉ have five stops in Arklow doesn't help). I suspect this gives them something of an edge in terms of journey times.

They also refuse to go through Ashford or stop anywhere along the N11 until you get to Dublin, which gives them another edge.

Strict...?

Foggy answered it for me. I was wondering how strict they were with free passes and it appears that they may require additional photo ID.

Foggy answered it for me. I was wondering how strict they were with free passes and it appears that they may require additional photo ID.
    I have seen similar ticket type forms on city link busses to Galway and on Matthews coaches for those with free travel/pensioners so the use of them may be widespread but I do not know about asking for additional photo ID for private operators, but I would think as private operators they would reserve the right to refuse to carry any person for any reason including not proving they were the person listed on their free pass, where bus Eireann can only refuse on certain very limited grounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

They also refuse to go through Ashford or stop anywhere along the N11 until you get to Dublin, which gives them another edge.

Doesn't the 002 only stop in Ashford/Wicklow on the late night and early morning buses?

Doesn't the 002 only stop in Ashford/Wicklow on the late night and early morning buses?
    Seems to stop in Ashford if you ask the driver, too. I know as someone seems to always gets on at Jack White's and asks to go to Ashford, when I only have afternoon lectures and I'll be late if we go through Ashford.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seems to stop in Ashford if you ask the driver, too. I know as someone seems to always gets on at Jack White's and asks to go to Ashford, when I only have afternoon lectures and I'll be late if we go through Ashford.

The 05:30/09:30 ex Rosslare stops in Ashford, the rest in the morning should not even on request. Moan to BE if its not those buses to get the driver to tell said person to get off and wait for whatever the proper bus is.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I have seen similar ticket type forms on city link busses to Galway and on Matthews coaches for those with free travel/pensioners so the use of them may be widespread but I do not know about asking for additional photo ID for private operators, but I would think as private operators they would reserve the right to refuse to carry any person for any reason including not proving they were the person listed on their free pass, where bus Eireann can only refuse on certain very limited grounds.

Thanks for that info Foggy. I don't see why the public operators should be made less able to control false use of passes. Ultimately the tax-payer has to pay.

Thanks for that info Foggy. I don't see why the public operators should be made less able to control false use of passes. Ultimately the tax-payer has to pay.
    Maybe you should take the matter up with some individual group or organisation that can do something about the current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Does anyone know what date the BE prices are due to increase?
    Rail went up today but I don't see any mention of bus.

Thanks

Does anyone know what date the BE prices are due to increase?
    Rail went up today but I don't see any mention of bus.

Thanks

Bus Éireann's provincial city service fares were meant to go up today (4th January), according to their website. Doesn't say anything about other fares though.

Not sure what the story is with Expressway and Commuter fares in general, but 10-journey and Taxsaver tickets are going up according to the NTA's official statement:
    NTA wrote:
    In relation to Bus Éireann, increases of 5.4% on city and stage coach services have been approved.
    An increase of 5.1% has been approved for weekly 10 journey rates on Provincial City, Commuter
    and Local Service. A 3% increase for the annual tax saver tickets on Provincial City, Commuter and
    Local Services has been approved. In general the increases sought by Bus Éireann have been
    approved given that their fares had not been increased since 2009. The Leap Card will be extended
    to include Greater Dublin Area Bus Éireann services and some private operator services in 2012

IIRC the NTA rejected BÉ's application for an increase when IÉ and DB fares rose earlier this year also.

Apparently the rest of the fares are going up from Wednesday 18th January:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=1057&month=Jan
    Bus &#201 wrote: »
    Customer Information re: Fares

Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers that increased fares will apply on Expressway, Commuter and Stage Carriage services from Wednesday, 18 January 2012.
    An average increase of approximately 5% will apply to all Single and Return fares. An average increase of approximately 5% will apply to all 10 Journey and City Weekly/Monthly Commuter fares. An average increase of 3% will apply to annual Taxsaver fares.
    Discounted and promotional fares will also be increased.
    For details of revised fares, please contact your local Bus Éireann office or Travel Centre.

Dublin (01) 836 6111 Limerick (061) 313333
    Cork (021) 450 8188 Galway (091) 562000
    Waterford (051) 879000 Dundalk (042) 933 4075
    Tralee (066) 716 4700 Sligo (071) 916 0066
    Athlone (090) 648 4406

Wednesday, 11th January, 2012

With regard to Wexford Bus, their fares are going up from January 23rd:
    http://wexfordbus.com/page/fare-adjustments-from-23rd-january-2012/
    Fare Adjustments from 23rd January 2012

11:39 am, January 9, 2012
    Wexford Bus is introducing a range of new fares from January 23rd 2012.

In order to maintain the level of service and standards provided, a reluctant decision has been taken to increase a selection of the fares. This price increase is due to a 25% rise in fuel costs in the last 12 months coupled with the 2% VAT increase (which cannot be reclaimed) and a 30% hike in insurance costs since the last fare adjustment.

Wexford Bus will continue to offer excellent value to its customers. For example:

• Annual tax saver tickets are available at €24 net per week (after tax and USC relief) an increase of only €1.38 per week.
    • Weekly student tickets start at €6 per journey between Enniscorthy and Dublin, an increase of €1 per trip.

This is not a decision that we have taken lightly, but all Wexford Bus services must be self financing as no grants or subsidies are received to support the services. Thus, with the steep rise in operational costs these increases are unavoidable.

For full details see www.wexfordbus.com/fares

Got the bus yesterday for the first time after the change, my day-return fare had risen from €18 to €19.50, a steep enough increase, quite above the average 5% increase.

Got the bus yesterday for the first time after the change, my day-return fare had risen from €18 to €19.50, a steep enough increase, quite above the average 5% increase.

only 8% to be fair.

I suppose, it's 50c per year (reasonable enough) if you consider that there were no increases in the last three years (though most 002 fares went up twice in 2009). All the same, the same fare was €15.00 this time four years ago, quite a big leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

only 8% to be fair.

CPI for 2011 was 2.5%.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    CPI for 2011 was 2.5%.

and what was the percentage increase for diesel over the last three years? bit more than 8%, I suspect.

Advertisement