Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pulling a trailer safely

• 26-06-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055602635

In response to the above question regarding the regulations around a Pajero pulling a 6 wheel trailer I am curiouse to know;
    What are the regulations regarding towing trailers?
    I drive a 1997 Toyoat Hilux 2.4 Turbo diesel and often load sand in the back without a trailer. 1 ton yesterday. I was planning to get a trailer to pull stone, sand etc. regularly.
    I am not so much concerned about keeping within the law as being safe. ie. I don't want to kill or injure anyone.

I didi not want to ask this question on the Pictures thread as it's going off topic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Thanks for starting a new thread.

If you look at the VIN plate it will tell you the max train weight for both the pick-up and trailer. Your Pick-up unladen weight is on your tax disk if taxed commercially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

I don't make the rules. The people in Toyota and Mitsubishi etc. decide (through vigerous testing i'm sure) what the towing limit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Either look in your handbook if you have it or do a search for the maximum recommended towing capacity and train weight for your vehicle. With over-run brakes it's usually 3.5t for the trailer, possibly a bit less. Trouble is a 2 or 3 axle Ifor Williams and the like will carry a lot more and the Hilux will pull it, stopping or loising control is a different matter:eek: As a builder I'm sure your aware of the weights of materials and wouldn't be tempted;) To really get in trouble big style, put a mini digger on the top, not that I know someones who's done it:rolleyes:

The Garda around Tipp and Limerick have been checking trailers and weights recently. I don't know when you passed your test but they were catching a lot of drivers not entitled to tow over 750kg plus others grossly overloaded.

I have posted this here before but will do it again in case people havent seen it.

This is a VIN plate from a 07 Transit. The transit is under 3.5t so can be driven on a car licence and does not require a tachograph.

f_DSC00117m_5c0822f.jpg

This vehicle is part of a major fleet and because it regularly tows a combined weight of more than 3.5t has had a tacho fitted.

f_DSC00115m_4b4aa41.jpg

Legally it is now allowed a combined weight (van and trailer) of 6t with the right equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Isn't the 6000 the gross towing weight, i.e. the max. weight of vehicle, trailer and load ?

• Advertisement

Yep, sorry, slip up on my part. Meant to say train weight. :o

Advertisement