Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1st car! Looking at 1.0 Opel Corsa any advice?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi lads Im just after pasting my driving test and am hoping to buy my first car, was looking at a 1.0 corsa since they are cheap to insure.
    What sort of Mpg do they do? Or would you suggest something else.
    Would have to be a 1.0 cause the cheapest quote i can get for a 1.0 is 2400 so can afford bigger engine. :mad: Has anyone has had any problems with the 2000 to 2001 corsas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How much have you got to spend on a car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

How much have you got to spend on a car?
    I'd like to say 1500 but realistically under a 1000 since most of my money is going towards the insurance and im since a student so the money isnt exactly flowing in if you know what i mean :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You could consider a punto, or a brava, or something like that. Not as reliable statistically, but the brava is a decent first car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

corkoian wrote: »
    I'd like to say 1500 but realistically under a 1000 since most of my money is going towards the insurance and im since a student so the money isnt exactly flowing in if you know what i mean :o

Seat Ibiza 2000. €1500, Long NCT.

You could throw in a low-ball offer and see where it goes.

Are you in Munster? Might not be worth travelling too far for a car worth ~1K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Punto/Micra would be a much better option as the Corsa is a horrible little car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

goz83 wrote: »
    You could consider a punto, or a brava, or something like that. Not as reliable statistically, but the brava is a decent first car.

+ 1

Corsa is one hateful little bag of bolts.

A Fiesta would be a neat little starter car. Even a Yaris.... (says the anti toyota head! :eek:)

But if you get a Brava/ Bravo in decent nick, it'd be a great starter car, in 1.2 guise. No bias whatsoever.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If you can find a clean yaris that would be your best option in that bracket.

What dont ye like about the Corsas? Uncomfortable? I've never drove one but between a yaris or a corsa, appearance wise id probably prefer the corsa but i suppose there isnt much point in having a nice car if it breaks down even 2 day or if im in agony driving it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

How much do have you to spend?

The Corsa is just crap in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

dgt wrote: »
    + 1

Corsa is one hateful little bag of bolts.

A Fiesta would be a neat little starter car. Even a Yaris.... (says the anti toyota head! :eek:)

But if you get a Brava/ Bravo in decent nick, it'd be a great starter car, in 1.2 guise. No bias whatsoever.... :pac:

Nice silver Bravo on Donedeal at the moment with 74000 miles going for just over a grand, can't post link at this minute.

• Advertisement

Nice silver Bravo on Donedeal at the moment with 74000 miles going for just over a grand, can't post link at this minute.

But the OP is looking for a 1.0 car for insurance purposes. So fairly limited choice.

I'd probably go with a Toyota Yaris (998cc) for 12 months. Lose very little and easy to sell-on. Nothing at all wrong with that car for 12 moths, and then more of a choice with 1.3 engine cars. Fiesta 1.25 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Insurance isn't really based on engine size especially between 1.0L and 1.4L, I've noticed this a lot when getting quotes. However going by the OP I'm gonna take a guess that he is 17 and that was a quote from Britton ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Peugeot 106 or citroen saxo?

Neither especially good cars, but better than a corsa.

What dont ye like about the Corsas? Uncomfortable? I've never drove one but between a yaris or a corsa, appearance wise id probably prefer the corsa but i suppose there isnt much point in having a nice car if it breaks down even 2 day or if im in agony driving it

I had the misfortune of owning a 1.2 corsa. It was a hateful 5 door too. The rotten little yoke nearly wouldnt start. It had a hateful interior with that miserable 2 spoke steering wheel. I was sitting in a bag of spuds as opposed to a seat. But the worst part was the pathetic disgrace of an engine that couldnt even pull itself up a slight incline and died halfway up. Scrap of the worst grade.

Quite literally the worst car I have ever had the displeasure of driving. I got some serious enjoyment destroying it, deforming it, cutting it up, smashing it to bits :D

The sister had a corsa one time. That horrible 1.0 three cylinder engine.

On one occasion, a local friendly mechanic was test driving it for one of it's numerous faults (engine trouble this time), and he laughed when a cyclist passed him out. The cyclist was an OAP too. Gods honest truth.

Everything went in that car. Engine, gearbox, electrics, exhaust. Horrible to drive too. That rubbery gearbox. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Had a second hand 1.2 Corsa at one point (around 2005 maybe) when I was learning to drive - never had any problems with it except the break light kept going. Traded it in after having it two years (it was 4 year old at that point).

Price everywhere in the country for a quote it could really make a difference - I ended up ringing about 20 brokers to get the best price at the time and ringing them compared to their online quotes also sometimes saved money.

Yup im only 17, pasted the test on Monday :D The quote I got was from Campion Insurance, i tried Briton and am still waiting a call back :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the posts so far, in response to the Bravo, my dad has a grudge against Fiats so i dont think thats an option :( I dunno if Fiat has every lost the "fix it again tomorrow" slogan :rolleyes:

So Corsa and Bravo are out of the picture, I know people who have had a saxo and were delighted with them so i may consider one but finding low mileage isnt easy :mad:

Yaris, i know there a great runner so maybe buying one till i can afford something better may be a option. One thing i hate about them though is there dash board the the sunk in display!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

An older Suzuki swift.

This one http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3737367 has really low mileage and the interior looks clean/new enough for it to be possibly true. IT could have been some OAP's cr to go to the shops and back. He's looking for €1200 so you could probably get it for €1000.

My sister was given the grans old '95 Rover Metro a a few years back and it only had 25K on it for a 12 year old car.

Yup im only 17, pasted the test on Monday :D The quote I got was from Campion Insurance, i tried Briton and am still waiting a call back :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the posts so far, in response to the Bravo, my dad has a grudge against Fiats so i dont think thats an option :( I dunno if Fiat has every lost the "fix it again tomorrow" slogan :rolleyes:

So Corsa and Bravo are out of the picture, I know people who have had a saxo and were delighted with them so i may consider one but finding low mileage isnt easy :mad:

Yaris, i know there a great runner so maybe buying one till i can afford something better may be a option. One thing i hate about them though is there dash board the the sunk in display!

It will be your loss if you are persuaded by an opinion as opposed to getting into one and driving it, talking as someone who had 3 Bravos, 7 around the house in total and worked on many, many more. A truly underestimated car as proved by ourselves many times over the last 8 years.

But that's just my experiences, I put a lot of time and effort into them and got the results back :)

That image of Fiat is long gone too. People in Ireland don't see it like that though.

On Saxos, beware of the rear axle, wheels tend to lie out due to old age and a new axle is the cure. But a great handling car for its size.

Consider a 106 either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 m.mac

Corsa aren't a great car. Water pumps are a problem with them and so is the oil pressure switch. Numerous other parts that consistently need replacing. Had one a as first time car. Know a few people who are started off in a Saxo and they never seemed to have a problem. The car keep going and was passed down when the next one was starting to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Noisy cramped uneconomical and each gearchange is an pot luck as to what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

dgt wrote: »
    It will be your loss if you are persuaded by an opinion as opposed to getting into one and driving it, talking as someone who had 3 Bravos, 7 around the house in total and worked on many, many more. A truly underestimated car as proved by ourselves many times over the last 8 years.

But that's just my experiences, I put a lot of time and effort into them and got the results back :)

That image of Fiat is long gone too. People in Ireland don't see it like that though.

On Saxos, beware of the rear axle, wheels tend to lie out due to old age and a new axle is the cure. But a great handling car for its size.

Consider a 106 either :)

It's actually a shame that fiats have that generalisation attached.
    Chances are, if a fiat goes wrong it'd be a cheap fix to sort it. If a vag car went wrong you probably wouldn't be out of trouble for less than 700-800.

Advertisement