Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

PauloConn wrote: »
    €6.48 for both. That's going to be hard to turn down. Is it on the big screen too???

No idea what screen it's on. Hopefully it's 17, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well, the film has a lot to go through:

• Bruce's mental decline.
    • Establishing Catwoman and Bane.
    • Establishing new characters such as Blake and Tate.
    • Doing justice to current support characters such as Alfred, Fox and Gordon.
    • Batman's apparent defeat at the hands of Bane and his imprisonment.
    • The state of Gotham in Batman's absence.
    • His return and establishing his (I'm guessing) alliance with Catwoman.
    • The final battle for Gotham.

It's a lot of content to get through, and it has to be done right...and if it is done right, those 3 hours should fly by.
    If that's all then 3hours doesn't seem like enough,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So what you're saying is the story should have the length it deserves but not the one it needs?

well played :pac:

It's the cinematic equivalent of a duble album. I've no problem with bios etc. , but a comic book character such as Batman has no business being near the three hour mark.

wait, why? just because he's a comic character doesn't mean it can't have an expansive story, comics have some superb story arcs that last for loads of issues across different titles. take the time and do them right and the film will only benefit from a longer running time.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

but a comic book character such as Batman has no business being near the three hour mark.

Hmmm, just wondering if you had similar opinions about the original Superman movie (another iconic comic book character) that clocks in at anywhere between 137 or 145 minutes depending on which version you watch. My opinion is that if a story takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours to tell then so be it, once it is told well is all that matters. I'd much prefer it to be told properly then end up with a sub 90 minute rushed mess that the multiplexes are overflowing with week in, week out. But that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

phil1nj wrote: »
    You probably should wait for the DVD if that's your attitude. You won't be as disappointed then and you mightn't be be seen as a clown for attempting to troll on a cinema pre-release discussion thread.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The TDK fanboys are tres touchy, you should be more careful! ;) Nerves may get touched.

Even though I prefer BB, I would say BB is far heavier on the exposition than TDK. Maybe you are confusing the films?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Andy!! wrote: »
    phil1nj wrote: »
    You probably should wait for the DVD if that's your attitude. You won't be as disappointed then and you mightn't be be seen as a clown for attempting to troll on a cinema pre-release discussion thread.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The TDK fanboys are tres touchy, you should be more careful! ;) Nerves may get touched.

Even though I prefer BB, I would say BB is far heavier on the exposition than TDK. Maybe you are confusing the films?
    Handbags at 50 paces

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Make it thirty, apparently Batman doesn't deserve 50 paces, because he's only a comic book character?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Andy!! wrote: »

Touchy? Not a chance. I just figured that such an inane attempt to troll should be called out. Funny how the guy that posted the original gem of wisdom about a movie that no one has seen yet hasn't been back since. Must have confused this forum for AH......does happen a bit :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

• Advertisement

holy giant image Batman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

We finally find out what the "Rise" is all about.
    1769465_orig.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone going to the 5am screening in Vue Liffey Valley? Wierd time don't think I'd have my wits about me to fully enjoy it? Then again less likely to have scanger kids at it! Any midnight screenings on anywhere?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone going to the 5am screening in Vue Liffey Valley? Wierd time don't think I'd have my wits about me to fully enjoy it? Then again less likely to have scanger kids at it! Any midnight screenings on anywhere?

What day of the week is it? you might get folks on all night sessions before the film :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What day of the week is it? you might get folks on all night sessions before the film :eek:

It'd be a Friday morning, I am going to the 5am showing in Rathmines. Didn't know Vue had one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Reckon i'll just take the day off work, double session in the gym to get totally pumped, get some brunch at catch the 12.30 show in either Point Village or Cineworld....
    Can't freakin wait.
    Must get tickets to the double bill on the 17th as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Tickets booked for IMC Dun Laoghaire on the 20th, not a big fan of that cinema but its were I watched Begins which is the reason I wanted to go again for some reason.

Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Over 3k replies in this thread, wtf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Picked up my ticket in Mahon Point in Cork earlier, not long to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Temaz wrote: »
    Picked up my ticket in Mahon Point in Cork earlier, not long to go!!!

Are Mahon doing an early screening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Corholio wrote: »
    Are Mahon doing an early screening?

So far it's first showing is 1pm on July 20th, they still might add an early show, guess I should have asked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Lighthouse Cinema are offering free breakfast with their 5AM screening. I sh*te you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

^That is mighty tempting. I'm going on holidays early on the 21st, and can't really get to see this until probably the 27th. Unless I go to a 5am show.

My GF will prob go mental if I go by myself and see it before her, but I cant take waiting a week and hearing people talk about how great it is and risk possible spoilers...screw that!

Might have to just do it and keep shtum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Just booked my tickets for Wexford for the 20th at 8.40pm. Can't go earlier because of work. Will go again on the Sunday afternoon and another few times the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

No spoilers, production notes released. A lot we already know but interesting none the less

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/07/06/dark-knight-rises-production-notes_n_1653717.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Received a standing ovation at a press screening

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

IMAX poster:

dkrmaxsmall.jpg?1341593094

shot of the 1/6 scale figure. the armour looks different, huge shoulder pads

582698_10150912831432344_1403134414_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Received a standing ovation at a press screening
    Source?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A quick google of Dark Knight standing ovation throws up several articles about it.

I wouldn't read too much into it one way or t'other (especially if it was America ;)), but hey it seems like a positive sign.

Advertisement