Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor Tax online?

Options
  • 29-02-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Changed car 3 weeks ago and received the registration cert in the post today.
    Is there any way of taxing it now online, i don't have a pin no?

Do i have to go the the tax office for the first time its taxed after a change of ownership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

At the moment you have to go to the tax office as far as I am aware.
    After the first time you tax it you should be able to tax it online there on after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As above, you need to go to the tax office.
    Just download the form and post it, I reckon it's less hassle then queing in the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dugout16

Ya thought it probably wasn't possible to do online. Was just looking for a way with less hassle than standing in a Q! Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You can call Shannon and get them to post out a renewal pin

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

contact online with them like email,
    i had same problem and they send pin in email in 1 hour time.

• Advertisement

I don't think i can get a pin because it will be my first time taxing this car....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AFAIK you have to tax it the old fashioned way if you're changing ownership

yes i think thats correct, then i can do it online for the following renewals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I vaguely remember something about the pin number being the last digits of your chassis number or something.......or was I dreaming:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I vaguely remember something about the pin number being the last digits of your chassis number or something.......or was I dreaming:p

Old wives tail (sic) - if it was true, your Chassis number would change every time you taxed the car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

It is for first taxation only of a newly registered car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Spit62500 wrote: »

I knew I wasn't dreaming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Spit62500 wrote: »

That's right. Last 6 digits of the chassis number is the pin. Doesn't work if the car has been taxed before in Ireland by someone else
    kbannon wrote: »
    You can call Shannon and get them to post out a renewal pin

Tried that but couldn't get through. Sent them an email and to my surprise, I got an email back in 20 minutes confirming they were sending out a renewal form plus pin

Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

I got my first car two weeks ago and I have nothing back yet, what do I get back from shannon and what do i need to tax my car for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

When I got my car (only had one so far), I got the cert in the post and then when the tax was up (a month or two later) I got the other form in the post with the PIN number on it, so I've never needed to go to the motor tax office for anything other than getting my licenses. Was there no tax left when you got it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think it depends whether or not the car is still taxed when you buy it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think it depends whether or not the car is still taxed when you buy it.

I don't think so. Anyway it doesn't state that anywhere in the FAQ. The change of ownership date is on the RF101 form (or whatever number) and the new onwer owes tax from the first day of that month, so it's pretty straight forward

I bought the car two weeks ago and the tax is up since saturday, will I get the Vehicle cert and the reminder with the PIN together or can I just take the cert, proof or ownership and insurance to the local tax office and tax it that way, if I do that will I get the replacement disc on the day or a few days later?

Thanks for all your advice.

kenny11 wrote: »
    will I get the Vehicle cert and the reminder with the PIN togethe

No you won't. You'll have to request the pin separately

If you go in to the tax office, you'll get your disc straight away once you pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

right just vrt'd my car yesterday. Jumped onto www.motortax.ie , and indeed my reg plus last 6 digits of the chasis let me in. My first page on the site then asks do I want private or commercial tax <-- picked private, don't think I'd get away with commercial in a boxster =)

• Advertisement

Unkel,

Thanks for the advice, do I need the PIN to go to my local tax office or if I bring the old disc with the vehicle reg cert and insurance cert will that do?

Got the pin in the post today, 3 days after I requested it. Not bad. Car taxed online today.
    kenny11 wrote: »
    the vehicle reg cert and insurance cert will that do?

Those two will do afaik. But why not email shannon and request a pin like I did? Why go out to the county council and wait for hours in a queue when you can do it online in a minute?
    ondafly wrote: »
    right just vrt'd my car yesterday

I haven't seen a new thread with pictures from you yet. What are you waiting for? ;)

Anyway, well wear :D

What Boxster did you get? Any link to an ad so we can have a sneak preview of some pics?

Advertisement