Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Email from ASTI....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

They weren't willing to do Haddington Road - So new ballots and threats alongside a media campaign of intimidation (especially Independent Newspapers & RTE) forced teachers to change their decision.

Teachers are weak and compliant - The DES and their unions know this.

We'll be doing the JCSA and marking our own students

Haddington Road didn't affect the exam system; it's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Does anyone have an update on this? 3 months have passed and still no circular to make it all nice and official. Could they delay the implementation beyond next September? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

I rang ASTI about this before Christmas, it has been agreed and will go through in September 2015, circular should be out by Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Draft circular is out.

From memory...
    Reinterview after year one, cid after year two. If hours drop you're up for redeployment.

I'm not certain that this will improve things dramatically in the long term. You could find yourself bring shunted all over the place.

The tui lost a transfer case on first in first out rules abut two years ago...

I'm not sure if the cid at the end of year tw has to be for the hours worked that year or the hours available in the following year.

Hours worked for career break / jobshare can count also afaik but you'll be on the road with your cid to another school when the post holder returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Draft circular is out.

From memory...
    Reinterview after year one, cid after year two. If hours drop you're up for redeployment.

I'm not certain that this will improve things dramatically in the long term. You could find yourself bring shunted all over the place.

The tui lost a transfer case on first in first out rules abut two years ago...

I'm not sure if the cid at the end of year tw has to be for the hours worked that year or the hours available in the following year.

Hours worked for career break / jobshare can count also afaik but you'll be on the road with your cid to another school when the post holder returns.

Wasn't there something in the recommendations that the permanent teacher that was on career break could be the one that was redeployed? It wasn't recommended how long they would have to be on career break for that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Wasn't there something in the recommendations that the permanent teacher that was on career break could be the one that was redeployed? It wasn't recommended how long they would have to be on career break for that to happen.

There was but at the ASTI information meeting in October Pat King said that it won't be introduced in the short to medium term. Even at that. He gave no indication on the number of years a teacher would have to be covering career break/secondment before it is the person on leave who will be redeployed.

petejmk wrote: »
    There was but at the ASTI information meeting in October Pat King said that it won't be introduced in the short to medium term. Even at that. He gave no indication on the number of years a teacher would have to be covering career break/secondment before it is the person on leave who will be redeployed.

It is in the ward report alright. There is a set of recommendations for immediate introduction and a set for longer-term introduction.

In our etb career breaks always have the caveat about transfers on the if the post disappeared while on leave, never heard of it happening. Would be a big upset though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

duffyp wrote: »
    I rang ASTI about this before Christmas, it has been agreed and will go through in September 2015, circular should be out by Feb.

That's good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Draft circular is out.

From memory...

Could this really happen? I don't think principals would be too happy to have to advertise for a post and then do it again the following year. It would make the interview process a joke because obviously if a person who was appointed in year one did a good job, I'm sure the principal would want that person to remain in the position. I suppose there would be an advantage that if the person appointed in year one wasn't the best candidate after all, the principal has a way to get rid of them.

Read the Ward Report, -It's all in there!

It would be a pain in the ass having to re interview good people and there would end up being a lot of sham interviews if you wanted to be fair to a teacher who has done a good year in a school. On the other hand, some would say all interviews are shams anyway!!

• Advertisement

Anyone got a further update on this? They had said that the circular would be out in Feb.

I've emailed and rung the asti, they are very hesitant to put anything in an email and seem to only want to discuss it on the phone (which to me doesn't sound good). Keep missing their return phone calls as they ring during school hours. I'm losing hope on this one.

I've emailed and rung the asti, they are very hesitant to put anything in an email and seem to only want to discuss it on the phone (which to me doesn't sound good). Keep missing their return phone calls as they ring during school hours. I'm losing hope on this one.

Feeling the same myself. I emailed the ASTI at the start of Feb and they said the Circular was due within 2 weeks but that obviously hasn't happened.

sitstill wrote: »
    Feeling the same myself. I emailed the ASTI at the start of Feb and they said the Circular was due within 2 weeks but that obviously hasn't happened.

So much for representing junior teachers:( they seemed more concerned about grace periods for retirees.

So much for representing junior teachers:( they seemed more concerned about grace periods for retirees.

Yeah. Teaching 8 years now, I don't feel like a junior teacher 😒

Yeah. Teaching 8 years now, I don't feel like a junior teacher 😒

5 years here and over 30. Just want to get a flippin mortgage. Glad to be employed don't get me wrong, love my school and job but struggle with the temporary nature of the work:(

All the info from our etb is that this will be effective from Sept. Unfortunately I think that people in year one now may may be in danger between redeployment and everything else as they have no right to an automatic renewal of contract

All the info from our etb is that this will be effective from Sept. Unfortunately I think that people in year one now may may be in danger between redeployment and everything else as they have no right to an automatic renewal of contract

Thanks for that.
    My Principal told me last week that he's certain it will be effective in September too but I don't know where he got his information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thanks for that.
    My Principal told me last week that he's certain it will be effective in September too but I don't know where he got his information.

At the conferences all principals attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

Circular expected soon but redeployment must be completed before either CIDs may be awarded or any position interviewed or any appointments made.

• Advertisement

Kalimera wrote: »
    Circular expected soon but redeployment must be completed before either CIDs may be awarded or any position interviewed or any appointments made.

Anyone hired this Sept has to be re interviewed either way also even if there isn't a redeployment. It will be very tough on some who are unfortunate enough to be in a school near an over quota school.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

Just spotted also... Any reason why it's not on Department website yet??

markjh wrote: »
    Just spotted also... Any reason why it's not on Department website yet??

No idea. They might just be slow getting them up there. Its number 22/2015 and the latest one on the site is 20/2015.

No idea. They might just be slow getting them up there. Its number 22/2015 and the latest one on the site is 20/2015.

I see... It's great news either way!

There's a bit of reading in it though!

The improved conditions only apply if you were covering secondment or Career break in effect so not all teachers will be in under this circular.

I may read it again in the morning, very confusing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

It says about being in second year covering reckonable leave but what if you have 11 of your own hours and 11 career break (2nd year in school) but had 11 hours of own hours and 11 maternity leave last year? Trying to find out for someone else!

awny wrote: »
    It says about being in second year covering reckonable leave but what if you have 11 of your own hours and 11 career break (2nd year in school) but had 11 hours of own hours and 11 maternity leave last year? Trying to find out for someone else!

They will be entitled to 22 hour CID in Sept I think. I've been to union meetings and the message is always that it's only the hours in the year before the CID that actually matter. The hours in previous years are irrelevant.

The only thing about the career break is that the teacher covering faces redeployment when the teacher returns from career break if surplus to requirements.

markjh wrote: »
    They will be entitled to 22 hour CID in Sept I think. I've been to union meetings and the message is always that it's only the hours in the year before the CID that actually matter. The hours in previous years are irrelevant.

The only thing about the career break is that the teacher covering faces redeployment when the teacher returns from career break if surplus to requirements.

The mat leave isn't reckonable but as markjh days its in the first year, the reference year now is the second year. So all the hours are up for grabs on the face of it.

I would caution that this may be a sticky one as the redeployment question comes up, only 11 hours are career break but you can't be half redeployed.

There will be a lot of arbitration before this is ironed out I think.

• Advertisement

Voice for teachers have withdrawn the circular. Apparently only a draft. There is still some negotiation ongoing it seems.

On their facebook page

Advertisement