Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incremental Credit

• 27-01-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has applied for incremental credit? Is it back paid?

I have non teaching experience that I am putting forward but I have been told that the other experience I have teaching part time with ETBs in not able to be considered because it was done in a unqualified capacity. However my qualifications have not changed and I was unaware that this teaching was considered unqualifed. I wasn't registered with the teaching council at the time (2002-2010). Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

Hi zombi, perhaps my experience might be of some help. I applied for and was granted 5 years incremental credit a few years ago. It's made a massive difference to my pay and especially to my final salary on retirement. I had about 10 years of industry experience and then I think it was 2 years teaching paid privately by a school. I filled out the forms and if I remember right, I was amazed at how quickly the application was processed - within 2-3 weeks. It is definitely worth doing. It isn't massively advertised and they might not be as quick to award it as they used to, but it is definitely worth a shot. I think mine was backpaid too - but that was only for a few months in my case.
    By the way you couldn't have been registered with the teaching council in 2002 as it didn't exist then.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 zombi

Thank you for your reply. I have put forward the forms to have my non teaching experience taken into account for increments.

It's really the part time teaching I did with the VECs at the time that I'm unsure about. I didn't know they were classing it as unqualified teaching and it doesn't seem fair that they did. I am exactly the same amount qualified now as I was then. I'm very unsure of what avenue to take with this. However because it was classed as unqualified it cannot be considered for incremental credit, nor can it be considered as relevant non-teaching experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Do you have the HDIP?

No, however all my teaching is post secondary and I was qualified to teach the subjects due to my degree. I dont have the HDip now either I am still working with adult learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Does anyone have contact details in the Dept to check it out? Or is there a form to download? Had a quick look on the Dept site but could not find anything.
    Thanks.
    W.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Thanks Zombie

Just wondering if anybody else has found themselves in a similar position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 flusty

Hi Zombi,

I'm going through the process at the moment.

I had 10 years industry experience and then re trained as a teacher in the UK, gained 1 years experience in the UK then moved back to Ireland.

I received feedback today stating that my time during my industry experience was 'unqualified' by my employer. I'm not quite sure what that means so I will be calling to confirm/appeal.

I've found the process extremely bureaucratic, very time consuming and any response fairly unclear.

I teach business and maths and have retail, corporate and investment banking experience. Relevant non-teaching experience in my eyes but I guess the powers that be deem it irrelevant. It may have to do with my teacher training occurring after my industry experience but I'm unsure

I hope you get more luck than me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

zombi wrote: »
    No, however all my teaching is post secondary and I was qualified to teach the subjects due to my degree. I dont have the HDip now either I am still working with adult learners.

Your subjects are not the issue. You didn't have the HDip so you were not qualified to teach, not that you were not qualified in your subject area. Same way that a person with a biology degree is not a qualified doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

At the same time , the OP was indeed qualified to work in the further ed sector , didn't you just need a degree for the VEC at that time ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If he was in a VEC college, he was qualified.

It wasn't in a VEC college it was delivering leaving certificate English to adults in a community based setting along with FETAC 3/4 communications.

I did this from 2003-2010 and never realised that I was considered unqualified. However once I entered a PLC college and registered with the teaching council suddenly I was considered qualified. Even though my qualifications didn't change. It was only when I went to get forms filled out that I was informed that they considered I had taught in an unqualified capacity.

Just don't understand the reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Firemonkey15

There is a review currently about to start at the Teachers Conciliation Council on the issue of incremental credit for non-teaching experience.

Every teacher should by now have received an application form expressing an interest for submission by the HR Manager of the institution a teacher works for to the Teachers Conciliation Council.

If you didn't get a notice, contact your HR manager as soon as possible. I was sent the form with only one day's notice to submit it and the deadline has now been extended to April 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Firemonkey15

If anyone needs a copy of the form, let me know. Boards.ie wont let me post a link as I don't have enough brownie points!

Mod Edit:
    Link

Advertisement