Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny Football - ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

DH2K9 wrote: »
    I'd say the Carlow keeper will be dropped..........

Haha, it was actually a penalty they scored goal from. To be honest it was never a peno, yer man just fell over and I think at that stage ref was delighted to give them anything. The Kilk guy actually stuck it away well to give them some credit.

But I've never been at a more 1 sided game, it was terrible. Carlow scored 8-19 and even at that we took off our main players early in 2nd half.
    I can't imagine that Kilkenny side even trained together before. My cousin is on the Carlow side and he was saying after that they'd have learned a lot more from a training session. It's no preperation for what will be a tough away semi final in Wexford.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Maybe so. But theres such an abyss between Kilkenny and the rest in Div.4. Most of the other teams are fairly even enough.Then you have Kilkenny shipping obscene scorelines. Surely they dont deserve a "Division" just because they are chronic.:confused:

No, Best solution is probably for Kilkenny to drop out altogether until they can put out some sort of competitive team.

Maybe so. But theres such an abyss between Kilkenny and the rest in Div.4. Most of the other teams are fairly even enough.Then you have Kilkenny shipping obscene scorelines. Surely they dont deserve a "Division" just because they are chronic.:confused:

Its not about creating a division for them. There is weak spots in other parts of the country that could do with promoting the game. The ethos of the organisation must be to continuously promote the games whatever the obstacles.

adrian522 wrote: »
    No, Best solution is probably for Kilkenny to drop out altogether until they can put out some sort of competitive team.

You wont know how strong/weak you are or what level you have to get up to by dropping out. i never knew a competitor who improved from the sideline.

Im not asking for Kilkenny or any of the other counties weak in certain areas to aim for the sky but at least think of the boys willing to pull on the jersey. they deserve a fighting chance at least. if you finish bottom of div 4 every year so what. at least make the other boys dig deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Martin567 wrote: »
    Terrible scoreline but let's see Louth, Longford, Wicklow, etc, U21s playing in the Leinster U21 Hurling Championship. You would see plenty of similar scorelines. Would these then be described as being "disgraceful counties"? Of course not because that is different for some mysterious reason.

Hold on now, Carlow and KK are probably the two weakest footballing counties in Leinster. If you put their hurling equivalents against each other (I dunno Wicklow and Louth?) no way you'd get such a hammering. The big disgrace here is having one county so far behind eveyone else that they'd need a division all of their own. And the bigger disgrace is ye couldn't give a sh*t about it and continue to give two fingers to one of the major sports of the association.

Football really isn't that difficult game to play to a semi decent respectable level. Its mind boggling that a county football team could come off over 40 points worse than a poorer county like Carlow. Shocking.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Hold on now, Carlow and KK are probably the two weakest footballing counties in Leinster. If you put their hurling equivalents against each other (I dunno Wicklow and Louth?) no way you'd get such a hammering.

Fotball really isn't that difficult game to play to a semi decent respectable levels. Its mind boggling that a county football team coukd coma off over 40 points worse than a poorer county like Carlow. Shocking.

Exactly. You cant compare a game like hurling to football as it is a lot more difficult to clock up them kind of scores in football such is the nature of the beast. Yes KK are awesome at hurling and being weaker at football would be acceptable, but not 43 points poor against one of the weaker counties.

People are fickle too. how many people are jumping on the cricket bandwagon all of a sudden - a sport that was practically non existent in Ireland less then 10 year ago? we as a nation are only interested in winning teams or teams at a high competitive level in general.

Before the glory days of the 90s the Clare hurlers were getting unmerciful hidings and as Anthony Daly said no one used attend their games until they started getting into Munster and then subsequently all ireland finals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Hold on now, Carlow and KK are probably the two weakest footballing counties in Leinster. If you put their hurling equivalents against each other (I dunno Wicklow and Louth?) no way you'd get such a hammering. The big disgrace here is having one county so far behind eveyone else that they'd need a division all of their own. And the bigger disgrace is ye couldn't give a sh*t about it and continue to give two fingers to one of the major sports of the association.

Football really isn't that difficult game to play to a semi decent respectable level. Its mind boggling that a county football team could come off over 40 points worse than a poorer county like Carlow. Shocking.

I've already explained this point about 10 times earlier in the thread. I maintain that it is a bigger disgrace that one sport has more than half the counties so far behind the top level than it is for one county to be so far off the pace in football. I bet this Carlow team would be quite competitive against whoever the eventual All Ireland Champions are at this grade. The same could not be said for the Louth or Wicklow hurlers.

Without having seen the match, I would still imagine the biggest problem is that the Kilkenny team played like hurlers i.e. when one person gets the ball, everyone moves away so he can clear it down the field. Meanwhile, Carlow probably maintained possession by short passing. The hand passing game is almost completely alien to Kilkenny as they are all natural hurlers. The result is that they are completely starved of possession in most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I've already explained this point about 10 times earlier in the thread. I maintain that it is a bigger disgrace that one sport has more than half the counties so far behind the top level than it is for one county to be so far off the pace in football. I bet this Carlow team would be quite competitive against whoever the eventual All Ireland Champions are at this grade. The same could not be said for the Louth or Wicklow hurlers.

Without having seen the match, I would still imagine the biggest problem is that the Kilkenny team played like hurlers i.e. when one person gets the ball, everyone moves away so he can clear it down the field. Meanwhile, Carlow probably maintained possession by short passing. The hand passing game is almost completely alien to Kilkenny as they are all natural hurlers. The result is that they are completely starved of possession in most games.

No that really wasn't the problem. The main problem was they hardly got the ball at all, and the few times they did just lumped in forward. Even from kick outs and there was a lot from the poor Kilk keeper, they didn't even compete...or jumped at wrong time. Carlows best route to goal was high ball into full forward line. Won almost every ball in, and ff line scored i think 6 goals and a good few pts too.
    But u have a point about the hand passing thing. I think the few times Kilk did have the ball they did just kick it everytime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

In Bold: I very much doubt if Carlow would be competitive against the AIC, for that to happen they would have to be winning Leinster ( are they that good? ) - time will tell, but I don't think they will.

Underlined: What a load of Horse Shít !! They are all natural hurlers- FFS stop with the nonsesnse will ya. Seán Óg, Diarmuid O' Sullivan, Eoin Cadogan etc - all intercounty HURLERS and guess what intercounty FOOTBALLERS!
    You can do both. I don't care if you are from kk - you can still play football - it's not rocket science.
    That football team mightn't have a single player on the U21 hurling team - natural as they are:rolleyes:
    I'm glad Jimmy Barry Murphy was not born in KK as he would have had to play football like a hurler:rolleyes:
    JBM was a great footballer and amazingly he was a Natural hurler.
    I blame the county board - plain, natural and simple!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    In Bold: I very much doubt if Carlow would be competitive against the AIC, for that to happen they would have to be winning Leinster ( are they that good? ) - time will tell, but I don't think they will.

Underlined: What a load of Horse Shít !! They are all natural hurlers- FFS stop with the nonsesnse will ya. Seán Óg, Diarmuid O' Sullivan, Eoin Cadogan etc - all intercounty HURLERS and guess what intercounty FOOTBALLERS!
    You can do both. I don't care if you are from kk - you can still play football - it's not rocket science.
    That football team mightn't have a single player on the U21 hurling team - natural as they are:rolleyes:
    I'm glad Jimmy Barry Murphy was not born in KK as he would have had to play football like a hurler:rolleyes:

Carlow were beaten after extra time by last years AI champions Dublin.

as for you other point, you are completley missing what Martin said. He wasnt saying footballers cant be hurlers or vice versa, he is saying that Kilkenny footballers play in a style like hurling.

It would be like trying to get a footballer to play hurling. I know a lad who played 2 hurling games in his life, both were county finals in longford. no teams entered or else gave walkovers, and they were in the final. he said he didnt use his hurl at all, and any time he had the ball he kicked it or tried handpass it, and said it was like a football game but using a smaller ball and having to hold hurls at the same time, and just a couple of lads who were someway decent did any scoring.

obviously players can play both sports to a high and competant level, but if you have only ever played one, and then play another, your tendancies and positional awareness would reflect the game you are most used to.

Its a shame KK dont put more effort into football. I know a lot of footballers from there, and a lot of them are actually pretty good, but they would put their club hurling ahead of county football. some of them dont go for the county football as it may interfere with their hurling. its not good, but it is the way it is.

I do think, if the county board had a better football co ordinator in the county, and had good coaches over county sides with players willing to play, they could improve. but until they get a) co board help, b) coaching co ordinator and c) their best footballers willing to play and commit, then there wont be any change

• Advertisement

Ha ha that's up there with their urban legend that when a kilkenny child sees a football he whacks it with a stick. i kid you not they tried to run that one on a cousin of mine :) Some good arguments you made there Shamo.

Fair play to SteveCW for making an argument about KK's lack of technical ability whatsoever.

In all the talk about political nonsense Steve has pointed out the cold hard truth that their 'coaching' staff are not even focusing on the technical aspects of the game. Sure why would there be interest in a sport in the county when it's not even coached properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

The problem in Kilkenny is that nobody gives a fiddlers about football...we had a round of football league games last Saturday and as always,we struggled to get a team together for it,club players just dont like the game. Of course there are afew players with a genuine interest in football but most use it as an extra workout to get fit for hurling..Im in the twilight of my playing career and i can honestly say that we never ever had even one football training session in the last 20years,thats just the way it is:rolleyes: football is competitive enough in the primary schools, you'd get a decent standard-some teams are coached by dedicated teachers but after primary school,clubs more or less neglect football..

I know insurance is also a factor for some of the clubs,they maintain it costs too much to enter the adult teams in the football competitions ( €1100 approx:rolleyes:) and in the current climate,afew have not entered teams this year.Hope this can shed some light on what we are facing here in KK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

phkk wrote: »
    The problem in Kilkenny is that nobody gives a fiddlers about football...we had a round of football league games last Saturday and as always,we struggled to get a team together for it,club players just dont like the game. Of course there are afew players with a genuine interest in football but most use it as an extra workout to get fit for hurling..Im in the twilight of my playing career and i can honestly say that we never ever had even one football training session in the last 20years,thats just the way it is:rolleyes: football is competitive enough in the primary schools, you'd get a decent standard-some teams are coached by dedicated teachers but after primary school,clubs more or less neglect football..

I know insurance is also a factor for some of the clubs,they maintain it costs too much to enter the adult teams in the football competitions ( €1100 approx:rolleyes:) and in the current climate,afew have not entered teams this year.Hope this can shed some light on what we are facing here in KK
    Basicallly,no one in Kilkenny wants to play football.I dont see what the problem is here.Actually, The GAA confuses me a bit. When you think of it-hurling and football are two completely different sports played under 1 organisation. I mean, its like comparing baseball and basketball.2 completely different games played under 2 completely different organisations-unlike GAA.Kilkenny is for hurling. Kerry is football(apart from a few notable clubs).I mean you wouldnt walk into Rio de Janiero and expect to find people playing cricket or .Its soccer all the way. Likewise, in KK-its hurling all the way.Theyre bloody good at it so why even consider football.Its a distraction.

Basicallly,no one in Kilkenny wants to play football.I dont see what the problem is here.Actually, The GAA confuses me a bit. When you think of it-hurling and football are two completely different sports played under 1 organisation. I mean, its like comparing baseball and basketball.2 completely different games played under 2 completely different organisations-unlike GAA.Kilkenny is for hurling. Kerry is football(apart from a few notable clubs).I mean you wouldnt walk into Rio de Janiero and expect to find people playing cricket or .Its soccer all the way. Likewise, in KK-its hurling all the way.Theyre bloody good at it so why even consider football.Its a distraction.

Well as i posted earlier if there's a demand for boxing, athletics, soccer, etc then surely surely there is a demand for Gaelic football in a county of 80k people. I wouldn't say its a case of the big bad GAA forcing KK to play, id say its more about the KK county board trying to discourage lads from playing. that's where the fascism comes in.

Would Darren O'Neill be the boxer he is today if hypothetically speaking boxing was a GAA administered sport? Answer is no because your county board is all geared toward hurling. Fact is only 30-35 lads can be on a senior hurling panel for KK at a time while there is thousands of lads on the sideline that could at least have the potential to be flying the flag for their county in the interim while they wait the breakthrough. Philly Larkin is a good example. he finished with Kilkenny around 2004 and would have been a perfect addition to the football team. same goes for Andy Comerford or Richie Mullaly.

I agree with Shamobuc that this is a steaming pile of horsesh*t. I severely doubt Kilkenny people are so stupid that they can't recognise that different sports require slightly different tactics. The way you put it the eat their dinners with the bos of a hurl as they're so used to holding them they can't get used to using a spoon. Ludicrous.:rolleyes:

The reason they're so useless is they don't take it seriously and probably don't even train together on a regular basis, if at all and the county board totally ignores the code.

Yet Kerry manage to field a respectable hurling side, as opposed to a laughing stock.

Thanks to bruschi for expanding on what I said as you didn't get it.

Also when I said "natural" hurlers, I didn't intend that to mean they are all great hurlers. I simply meant that they are probably all primarily hurlers. Well done for listing out some of Cork's dual players. You might tell me within what sort of area Cork's dual players come from relative to the area of the whole county. I would be interested as to how good a Cork hurling team derived exclusively from West Cork would be. Alternatively a Cork football team drawn from clubs which are almost totally hurling orientated. This might give you a slightly better insight into the Kilkenny situation. Blame the County Board all you like, as phkk said below, in 20 years of playing with his club he never had one football training session. This would be very much the norm at almost all clubs. Do you want the Board to patrol these sessions and insist that football must be played a certain % of the time.

Also when I said "natural" hurlers, I didn't intend that to mean they are all great hurlers. I simply meant that they are probably all primarily hurlers. Well done for listing out some of Cork's dual players. You might tell me within what sort of area Cork's dual players come from relative to the area of the whole county. I would be interested as to how good a Cork hurling team derived exclusively from West Cork would be. Alternatively a Cork football team drawn from clubs which are almost totally hurling orientated. This might give you a slightly better insight into the Kilkenny situation. Blame the County Board all you like, as phkk said below, in 20 years of playing with his club he never had one football training session. This would be very much the norm at almost all clubs. Do you want the Board to patrol these sessions and insist that football must be played a certain % of the time.

There are many ways to promote the development of football in weaker areas apart from "patrolling clubs" as you so blithely put it. You start from the grass roots up, get in there and make a genuine effort to improve coaching amongst youngsters. God knows they must need it if they think they're playing hurling when its actually inter county championship football they're playing.

I agree with Shamobuc that this is a steaming pile of horsesh*t. I severely doubt Kilkenny people are so stupid that they can't recognise that different sports require slightly different tactics. The way you put it the eat their dinners with the bos of a hurl as they're so used to holding them they can't get used to using a spoon. Ludicrous.:rolleyes:

The reason they're so useless is they don't take it seriously and probably don't even train together on a regular basis, if at all and the county board totally ignores the code.

Of course they recognise different tactics are required. Like any sport it's about doing the simple things well. This works best when you don't have to even think about it. This will obviously only happen through regular practice. As already outlined, players will not get this football training at club level. Therefore you're looking at taking about 30 players away from their clubs into a county development squad to concentrate on football. The difficulty is finding enough motivated players who really want this. Another problem is that their clubs will want them back for hurling as they will most likely be some of the better players at their respective clubs.

Regarding Kerry, that's not relevant at all. For whatever reason, hurling has always been relatively strong in the North of the county and it doesn't seem to have been as big a struggle to keep it alive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

And therein lies the problem.. Whose responsibility is it to change this? The County Board.

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    And therein lies the problem.. Whose responsibility is it to change this? The County Board.

What is the County Board other than a reflection of the clubs? Everyone on the Board has come from some club or other. I'm not aware of too many people shouting at Co Board Meetings for more attention to be paid to football. These delegates are supposed to be representing the views of their clubs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

eroo wrote: »

I don't see it as the county boards job to go out and make players play football.
    The bottom line is that the interest is just not there.

Believe it or not not everyone loves the ritual of pulling and dragging that is so popular in other parts of the country.

I don't see what everybody's obsession is with Kilkenny improving their football team. There are already so many areas where football is strong, why is it such an issue that one county has no interest in the sport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Whats not to get? :confused: The treatment of football by the kk county board is a thundering disgrace - I get it !!

You ask about Cork? I'll tell you about Cork. Clubs in Cork have both a hurling and football team - some clubs take it so seriously that the club splits! eg. Glen Rovers in Hurling, Saint Nicks in football ( both Senior by the way) Sarsfields in hurling, Glanmire in football, Blackrock in Hurling Saint Michaels in football etc - they would have a big overlap of players but work togetherand amazingly it works!!
    West Cork is primarily football BUT the All Ireland Intermediate Club Hurling Champions Ballymartyle are from that direction.
    The city is Hurling and football fairly equally - Na Piarsaigh have Sean Óg, Gardiner on both Senior hurling and Senior football club teams and St. Finbarrs H&F club - JBM club - could equally be in the Cork County Hurling final as the football final - AND have alot of dual players - imagine that!!.
    East Cork would be primarily hurling but I would still put my house on the Junior football team from Cloyne playing and hammering the KK intercounty football team!
    North Cork has the Duhallow division are probably more famous for Football BUT the current All Ireland Club Junior Hurling Champions are from that division! Do you see a pattern:rolleyes: Well Done You!!!! You are correct -cork are lucky enough to have a county board that actually gives a shít about BOTH codes and has done for a very long time. Coaches from local clubs go into Primary Schools and help train the kids ( in both codes). Where this doesn't happen, there are normally enough Teachers willing to give up their time and train the kids ( as I do) - for the love of the game!! theis even happens in kk - read on.

You say they are primarily hurlers - that has never, is not and will never be a hindrance to ALSO being a footballer ( at any level)
    As phkk said football is competitive in the primary schools in kk ( take a bow teachers )- how hard is to continue this development into secondary schools and thus into clubs at adult level? The interest is obviously there at that age:rolleyes: but begins to wain thereafter - if only there was an organisation in kk that could take it upon themselves to promote and develop the GAA football in the county:rolleyes:

In case You Still Don't Get It - I Blame The Kilkenny County Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

I don't see it as the county boards job to go out and make players play football.

Believe it or not not everyone loves the ritual of pulling and dragging that is so popular in other parts of the country.

I don't see what everybody's obsession is with Kilkenny improving their football team. There are already so many areas where football is strong, why is it such an issue that one county has no interest in the sport?

As somebody once famously said,there are only 4skills in football- catching,kicking,pulling and dragging!!:D

Yet Kerry manage to field a respectable hurling side, as opposed to a laughing stock.
    Thats what Im saying.In Kerry theres a few very good hurling clubs.In KK theres not very many football clubs.Not that I can think of anyway.Kerry are far from a laughing stock in hurling.Never said they were.

:D - tell that to the kk intercounty hurlers - especially numbers 2 ---> 7 - they are famous for their off the ball pulling and dragging!!!
    I honestly don't mind it but it's funny that you use it as a reason Not to play football in kk!!!

As somebody once famously said,there are only 4skills in football- catching,kicking,pulling and dragging!!:D

so that only leaves catching and kicking a big ball that all the natural hurlers in kk need to learn:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Seriously, where have I said that players should be made to play football?

The interest is not there because the game is not being promoted at underage level enough at clubs. You can't expect adults to want to just pick up a football.. they have to be introduced to it at a younger age.

The reason we are discussing KK football is because the CB and GAA fans in the county seem to not care that their football is an embarrassment to their county and jersey, as well as the sport.
    What is the County Board other than a reflection of the clubs? Everyone on the Board has come from some club or other. I'm not aware of too many people shouting at Co Board Meetings for more attention to be paid to football. These delegates are supposed to be representing the views of their clubs.

They are also supposed to be promoting gaelic games in their county. They are not called a hurling board for a reason. My own county board, Clare, recently admitted that they let football down in the past. They are rectifying this by seeking outside expertise i.e. management and parentage rule, in an attempt to produce success.. and as a result boost the games profile.

The buck stops with the county board.

:D - tell that to the kk intercounty hurlers - especially numbers 2 ---> 7 - they are famous for their off the ball pulling and dragging!!!
    I honestly don't mind it but it's funny that you use it as a reason Not to play football in kk!!!
    Not this aul KK are dirty ****e again.Im from Clare-KK play no more dirty than any other county in the land.Its a mans game

• Advertisement

so that only leaves catching and kicking a big ball that all the natural hurlers in kk need to learn:rolleyes:
    Ha ha. You have to admit modern day football is sometimes brutal viewing. Not all matches, but quite a few that Ive seen on the box would nearly want to make you turn on the ladies golf or whatever sky had on instead:eek:

Advertisement