Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the joke Marty told around 9.25 this morning?
    Hundreds of years after they died, people still remember Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Purcell, Buxtehude and more. Almost a thousand years later, people still remember Hildegard of Bingen. It puts Marty's place in the grand scheme of things in perspective when something he said at 9:25 this morning to supposedly tens of thousands of listeners isn't even remembered a few hours later. :) For many of those who appreciate Classical music, it is Marty.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I learned from radio today that Marty Whelan will be interviewing two of classical music's greats this week before they give command performances for him.

1. Renée Fleming - the American soprano.

2. Ennio Morricone - the Italian composer.

1. Renée did a good album called "Dark Hope" that I like. it has a lot of good stuff by Peter Gabriel, Jefferson Airplane, Leonard Cohen and many many more. You can still get it for the iPod.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Hope-Digital-Album/dp/B003IVNNWU/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_mus?

2. Ennio - well what can I say? He studied to be a composer with an Italian teacher who had been trained by Puccini. He has it all. He can do the heavy classical but he can also do music that people really enjoy. I think Mart will get great value out of him. I hope Miriam O'Callaghan could get her hands on him too for the Saturday Show even if it has to be recorded beforehand bacause he has a hard story to tell of the rise and fall and rise of a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

If Yvonne23R is not Marty in disguise or, as I suggested in an earlier post, working PR for him, she seems to know an awful lot of the press release puff pieces that someone somewhere is churning out.
    Is there anything as revealing as the line that says: "...He can do the heavy classical but he can also do the music that people really enjoy..."?
    (Bring back Trish; or Lorcan; or anybody...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Coleyoscar wrote: »
    If Yvonne23R is not Marty in disguise or, as I suggested in an earlier post, working PR for him, she seems to know an awful lot of the press release puff pieces that someone somewhere is churning out.
    Is there anything as revealing as the line that says: "...He can do the heavy classical but he can also do the music that people really enjoy..."?
    (Bring back Trish; or Lorcan; or anybody...)

Indeed, but is indulged and nurtured in this thread as a sort of boards.ie pet troll.
    From the Lyric point of view I guess its the ' no such thing as bad publicity' theory.

I think Mart will get great value out of him.
    That's the difference between a DJ and someone who likes music right there. The DJ, for your beloved Marty is nothing if not a DJ, merely basks in the greatness of others. The person who likes music listens to it because they like music. Perhaps Marty has increased MP3 and CD sales because those who like music just can't stand his wibbling and interruptions.
    I hope Miriam O'Callaghan could get her hands on him too for the Saturday
    RTE - forever associated with the perpetuation of mediocrity! Perhaps he will provide some value for her too?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ennio Morricone concert - sorry if off-topic somewhat.

According to Marty, the gates open (on Saturday at any rate) at 5.30pm. The man himself is supposed to be on stage at 8.30pm and the concert will be preceded by a screening of Cinema Paradiso on the big screens. Bliss!

I have one ticket for Sunday evening but would be willing to swap for Saturday evening if anyone's interested? (Don't know the seat off hand but it's not too bad.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭hawley

Ennio - well what can I say? He studied to be a composer with an Italian teacher who had been trained by Puccini. He has it all. He can do the heavy classical but he can also do music that people really enjoy. .

lmao

the heavy classical but he can also do music that people really enjoy.

Thanks Hawley, missed that nugget.
    It suggests Lyrics new slogan to me :

"Lyric FM - some heavy classicl stuff - but now also with music people really enjoy !"

Well I don't knwo what to make of people here, most of them frankley here. Can he do nothing right? At least one person sees the good that Marty did with the announcement about the Ennio performance in RHK at the weekend. We can hardly wait. We're going on Saturday becuase we missed the first lot of tickets but we got in straight away when the second one came on. Actually Marty was the instrumental one on that too because he pushed for a second gig. The film showing with the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso will be a great way to while away the time. I only hope that there will be food sold - and I think Marty mentioned this as well. We don't want to have sandwiches with us in this heat. There is a cafe there but it doesn't hold 20,000 people I don't think anyway.

I wish we had tickets for Renee Fleming too but they were gone very fast and were dearer too. We'd have had to pay for them. I hope she does some of her popular stuff too. Marty was able to bring out the human side of her in the last interview she came in for and I hope she will be as good this time too. She's lovely in real life. She was a popular singer first before she became a soprano and pushed her voice up. She can always go back and maybe make even more money from it. Mart asked her that the last time and she laughed.

I don't really agree about Miriam either that she is mediocrity. She is very good to get out of people what's in them for television and putting them at ease. It's very hot under those lights and she copes and makes them feel at home.

I wish we had tickets for Renee Fleming too but they were gone very fast and were dearer too. We'd have had to pay for them. I hope she does some of her popular stuff too. .

Why do you hope she does "some of her popular stuff" if you aren't going to the concert?

• Advertisement

hawley wrote: »
    Why do you hope she does "some of her popular stuff" if you aren't going to the concert?

Why? So that people can enjoy her singing at its best fully. Thats the why! And it will be something to talk about in the interview because he can't be going on about Wagner and Beethoven and Verdi with her all the time or people will switch over. Simple really! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Why? So that people can enjoy her singing at its best fully. Thats the why! And it will be something to talk about in the interview because he can't be going on about Wagner and Beethoven and Verdi with her all the time or people will switch over. Simple really! :)

I think Marty is more of a Bachman Turner Overdrive man than a Wagner Beethoven Verdi kinda guy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Why would people switch over just because he talks about Wagner and Beethoven. Are you aware of the huge importance of these two composers in the history of Western art music? Believe me when I say there would be no Ennio Morricone if there was no Beethoven and to dismiss then in favour or "popular music" is bizarre.

he can't be going on about Wagner and Beethoven and Verdi with her all the time or people will switch over. Simple really! :)

Exactly ! Talking about Wagner, Beethoven and Verdi? You couldnt be having that nonsense on a classical station. Cut to an AA roadwatch girl quickly. I think would be best.

Did it ever occur to him that people just want to listen to music rather than his waffling? Has he the basic self-awareness that people listen to what once was a Classical music station for Classical music rather than the inane waffle of a superannuated DJ with delusions of relevance? Perhaps they should give Marty his own radio channel where he can amuse those people who want to listen to him and leave Classical music to LyricFM. Just to put it in simple, Marty style, terms: people listen to LyricFM for music. DJs interrupt the flow of music and adverts and are best left to the radio stations where people seem to think that DJs are some kind of "celebrities" or, in RTE speak, "personalities". He's probably a nice chap and all that but he interrupts the music.

Regards...jmcc

pconn062 wrote: »
    Why would people switch over just because he talks about Wagner and Beethoven.
    Because people listening to LyricFM generally know about Wagner and Beethoven already and want to listen to music rather than some DJ who should be on the 2FM antiques roadshow or whatever they call it now. :)

Regards...jmcc

I wish we had tickets for Renee Fleming too but they were gone very fast and were dearer too. We'd have had to pay for them. QUOTE]

What do you mean by BIB? You'd hardly expect to get in for nothing.

BIB I had to look up. You can get promo tickets if you get your spoke in early in the office but someone snapped them up. :(

Why would he be restricted to asking her about the pieces she sung at the concert? He is hardly likely to be recording the interview between songs at the venue asking her "Now Reneey, why did you choose that one?" Would you turn off Marty if he exclusively played the "heavy classical"?

Why would he be restricted to asking her about the pieces she sung at the concert? He is hardly likely to be recording the interview between songs at the venue asking her "Now Reneey, why did you choose that one?" Would you turn off Marty if he exclusively played the "heavy classical"?

I think there is a bit too much of the personal here about Marty. :mad: He's bringing people into classical music by the back door. We had Nessun Dorma today by Pavarotti and a bit of John Rutter and there was that Meditatione from Thais. He will be able to ferret away with Renee to get some nuggets out of her about the business and about the good that crossover does for the classical world and what young singers younger than her should be doing. Mart knows a fair bit about the biz because his daughter has done a lot of ballet and he has seen Swan Lake and the other one more often than we have had hot dinners. And the Swan from the Carnival of the Animals.:)

Renee will probably be doing her cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah tomorrow as her first encore. People always think she's going to do the Handel Hallelujah from The Messiah when she announces this. :D

• Advertisement

I wonder if Marty played John Cage's 4'33" would he have an urge to talk over it? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

jmcc wrote: »
    I wonder if Marty played John Cage's 4'33" would he have an urge to talk over it? :)
    He'd probably complain that he can't whistle along to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

I couldn't see him resisting the temptation to finger-drum along either at some stage :D

He will be able to ferret away with Renee to get some nuggets out of her

Not sure I understand what thats about, but is it allowed on daytime radio ? Or anywhere anytime ?

I think there is a bit too much of the personal here about Marty. :mad: He's bringing people into classical music by the back door. :D

The JNLRs are out this Thursday. What will you say if his figures have fallen? You seem to think that I was being too personal in my last post, please point out where. He is being well paid to bring people in "by the back door" to classical music, he is most certainly the highest earner in Lyric.

The JNLRs are out this Thursday. What will you say if his figures have fallen? You seem to think that I was being too personal in my last post, please point out where. He is being well paid to bring people in "by the back door" to classical music, he is most certainly the highest earner in Lyric.

The wha Gay? ;) I wouldn't worry too much about that. Have you heard all the compliments that pour in from his listeners?? You don't get them when Lorcan does it much and certainly not when Trish does it. He makes us who know what we like like a bit more and he makes the light classical easy to take.

I have never heard what he earns but he earns it because he told us he has to get up at 4 o'clock (a.m.!) to get in - Winter and Summer! - and he does that right around the year. Nothing would pay you for that. He couldn't be a big earner if he is doing those ads for a certain supermarket (Tesco) because he must need the money. There isn't a whole lot of money in classical music after all.

John Cage is very funny. :D I think you need to see that done on telly to see the funny side of it. It wouldn't work on radio. Did you see Mr Bean at the Olympics - it was like that?

I think the apprentices in Lyric FM are probably jealous of the way he can get the star interviews the way they can't and the easy way he has about him that he can get the best out of them with a laugh. I'll never forget the time he was singing on the radio with Red Hurley a while back when he was in for an interview. But there is a lot of the green eyed monkey in RTE where the properly trained people like Marty are concerned. He has that monkey on his back addn he can't shake it off. Renee or someone said the last time to him not to read the reviews because she doesn't. You can hear the interview on the prodcast on the website.

And he seems to have a lot of contacts in the music world. He talks about his friends in Sony so that is probably saving RTE buying CDs. And he had the new album from Donovan on this morning and I thought it was really really good stuff. He's 67. Mart had him in last year before his scare.

The wha Gay? ;) I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    The management do worry about those figures. Didn't Marty get dropped from 2FM when he went off on holiday?
    Have you heard all the compliments that pour in from his listeners?? You don't get them when Lorcan does it much and certainly not when Trish does it. He makes us who know what we like like a bit more and he makes the light classical easy to take.
    Perhaps he just has some fans who would even send him compliments if he read the lunch menu from the RTE canteen.
    I have never heard what he earns but he earns it because he told us he has to get up at 4 o'clock (a.m.!) to get in - Winter and Summer! - and he does that right around the year. Nothing would pay you for that.
    Well if he was paid nothing for that then we'd be very impressed. :)
    He couldn't be a big earner if he is doing those ads for a certain supermarket (Tesco) because he must need the money.
    Well he's probably a good choice for targeting the people who shop at Tesco and he has a recognisable voice from his TV and radio work.
    There isn't a whole lot of money in classical music after all.
    Naxos, eMusic, Apple? They might beg to differ.
    I think the apprentices in Lyric FM are probably jealous of the way he can get the star interviews
    There are apprentice DJs? Probably the spawn of the untalented mediocrities in RTE.
    I'll never forget the time he was singing on the radio with Red Hurley a while back when he was in for an interview.
    On LyricFM?
    But there is a lot of the green eyed monkey in RTE where the properly trained people like Marty are concerned. He has that monkey on his back addn he can't shake it off. Renee or someone said the last time to him not to read the reviews because she doesn't. You can hear the interview on the prodcast on the website.
    Is it in the religious section of the RTE website? :)
    And he seems to have a lot of contacts in the music world. He talks about his friends in Sony so that is probably saving RTE buying CDs.
    Don't the music publishers send RTE copies of CDs for promotion?

I think that Marty is of that generation of DJs that grew up in Pirate Radio and assumed that the audience would never grow up. His audience probably has a high element of the old Pirate Radio audience but demographically the people who like Classical just don't consider the DJ to be essential. The same thing that effectively spelled the end for the continuity announcers on television is now playing out with radio.

Regards...jmcc

I know you won't take this the wrong way but you've got it bad against poor Marty whose only giving people what they want. Whay shouldn't we have enjoyable music in the morning with sensible musical chats as well as the Brahms and Beethoven and Bach that the small crowd of the rich pensioners want to listen to all day. But without recipes - that's just silly on a music show. I think the Marty Whelan Show is like morning tv on the radio it's that good and lively. But you won't agree I know. :confused:

Marty only giving people what they want.
    But you won't agree I know. :confused:

How is Marty giving people what they want if they keep saying they dont want what he is giving ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ok, I'm calling bullshirt on this now, I think we're being had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement