Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Hair Straightening

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gormo82

Will do!

Thanks for the reply Babyboo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KerrieC

Hi everyone, this is the first board that actually gave a few places in Ireland doing the chemical straightening. I'm from Kerry and have absolutely no hope in finding someone down here but I was delighted to hear that I won't have to go to London to get it done now. Dublin will be so much handier. I have crazy frizzy hair ever since my hairdresser put a cleanse in it to lighten the colour. Before I got the cleanse it was half frizz, half curl but now it's pure frizz. Does anyone know if i'l be able to get it done after the cleanse? Plus which is the best place in Dublin to get it done? I'm not interested in the 12 week blow dry atall after hearing such horrible stories. Just the chemical straightening please. Thanks, Kerrie

• Registered Users Posts: 13 babyboo1097

Hey Kerrie,
    Like I've said previously on here, would def recommend "Koreana" on Parnell St in Dublin. I'm not sure how it works with the cleanse but they're shocking helpful so why not just give them a ring?
    Good luck,
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Has anyone noticed that their hair has changed texture since getting chemical straightning/12 week blow dry? My hair used be very frizzy but curly when I would use mousse but now it has changed and the curl has gone and it is jus frizzy....
    Any other tips on chemical straightning in Dub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gormo82

On Babyboo's recommendation I went to Koreana last week for the permanent straightening. Very friendly and delighted with the results! Only €120, my hair was incredibly difficult to manage before the treatment, now it takes me 5 minutes! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 linnea_cfc32

Hey Kerrie,
    Like I've said previously on here, would def recommend "Koreana" on Parnell St in Dublin. I'm not sure how it works with the cleanse but they're shocking helpful so why not just give them a ring?
    Good luck,
    P

Hi Babyboo!

Ill be in Dublin on june 29th and 30th and then goin to glasgow for a couple of days, live in sweden and theres nowhere near me that does the Yuko/japanese straightening. Ill have to do it in Dublin, how long before you did it did you actually have to go in there for consultation and make an appointment? Can I go in and have it done the same day or the day after u think? Sure I could give em a ring now but would that be enough? I really need to do it on the 29th or 30th, preferably 29th, and I don't get to dub until reeeeal late on the 28th.
    I cant wait to get this done:)

Linnea

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jetplanerock

I did a lot of research into hair straightening as I have terrible fuzzy 'hair' that Ive been straightening for years with a GHD, it was so dry and damaged from this tho (broken hairs all over my head), I tried the 12 wk blowdry twice, both times I was disappointed. I think it just doesnt work on really uncontrollable frizzy hair.

I find I seem to know more than most Irish hairdressers about permanent hair straightening (and Im no hairdresser!) I tried numerous salons but found most hadnt a clue. I had looked into both Yuko and IHR in London and was going to go there for IHR (think it seems better) until I came across a place in Belfast called Capelli. I contacted the owner through facebook and she got back to me and said she had years of experience doing it (you just have to go on trust I suppose!) So I decided to give it a go one wknd and drove up from Dublin.

And it was brill, couldnt believe sthg had finally worked! I completely understand when people say its life changing (only women whose lifes are controlled by their fuzzy hair can understand... ) I normally had to have weekly blow drys just to keep it in control. The small annoying part tho was I had to leave it down for 3 day after and couldnt even put it behind my ears (was so frustrating!!) It got so greasy too that the next time Im doing it Im off work a few days after. The biggest test for me was a sun holiday, my friends used to christen me Monica from friends so I couldnt believe how good my hair was in humid conditions. I did have to blowdry after washing to get a sleek, straight look but I was able to put away my GHD. For me, this was unbelievable!

I feel its expensive though - I paid £320 for shoulder length v thick hair (the hairdresser said Id quite thick hair) and I was hoping I would get at least 6 months out of it but after 4 months the roots were bad so Im going up again at the end of the month - it will be 5 months then :( However, I only had to get the odd blowdry for a special occasion after getting this done.

I highly recommend IHR, I was afraid it would wreck my hair but it really is the GHD that ruins it, it was so healthy after getting it done - pm me if any questions :)

Like I said in my previous threads, Koreana are in Dublin (On Parnell St), they only charge €120 for shoulder length hair, and it last me for nearly 6 months...

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

I got it done about 4 weeks ago in a hairdressers called- Violet (I think) on Parnell St.

E120. They wash your hair, put all this gloopy stuff on it and then wash it again and dry/straighten it, then more gloopy stuff, then wash again and finally, dry it and thats the finished product.

I wash my hair in the morning, towel dry it, brush it through and fly out the door. Sometimes I give it a quick blast with the hairdryer, but only a minute or two and my hair is straight for the rest of the day. Its so handy and I would definitely recommend it. I used to hate faffin about for an hour + with blow drying straight and hair straighteners- just can't be arsed.

Can I just clarify that it's def the IHR straightening that these hairdressers on parnell st do?? I'm wary of any other method. Thanks!! Would save me a fortune..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Smc30

Hi,
    I got my hair straightened in Koreana on Parnell st in August based on the recommendations in this thread. Absolutely delighted with the results! I had long frizzy-curly hair that would take me a couple of hours to style. Now I just wash it and let it dry naturally. It's perfectly straight.
    Now I'm beginning to notice regrowth, obviously. It's not bad enough yet to make me want to restraighten, but I will sometime in the next few months.
    My question is this- is the cost of the touch up treatment the same as the initial treatment? (In my case this was €180 as I also got my hair cut). Also, is the touch up treatment as intense as the initial treatment? For example on the day I got my hair straightened it was chemically treated then cut. Before it was cut around two inches at the ends were unbelievably dry and so, cut off. I'm trying to grow my hair but I'm wondering if I go back for a touch up, will the amount of hair that has grown in the last few months just need to be cut off?

Can anyone clarfy what type of straightening they had done in Koreana please??

I am only interested in IHR as Im delighted with the results so far. This is what I get done in Belfast but its a lot more expensive than what Koreana charge (and also involves a long trip to Belfast). Dublin would be so much handier.

I go to Capelli which is a small salon outside Belfast. The hairdresser there was saying she cant understand the hairdressers in the Republic, she said shes an IHR agent and tried to introduce it but she said hairdressers are afraid of it and worried it can damage hair. I think Im proof of the opposite!

The first time I got it done was May and it cost £320 (incl hair cut). The touch up (after 5 months, and by then v. noticebale regrowth) then cost me £280 (no hair cut needed). When I got my retouch done I thught it would be the same price as thats what Id been told but they ended up charging me less so I was delighted. I didnt need my hair cut as the ends remain straight and the hairdresser just applied the chemicals to the regrowth (which was about half way down my hair) So in answer to the previous poster I dont see what you would have to cut you hair as long as you are looking after it well and regularly deep conditioning which I was told I had to do. The second application did take almost as long as the first.

I do wonder if getting this done 2/3 times a year is bad for hair... but I really cant manage my hair without it and was straightening on a daily basis so this was worse Im sure!

Ok so I decided to ring Koreana, the guy didnt seem to know what IHR was! Said they use Schwarzkopf, Im not sure if thats good or not though all the people on here seem more than happy with results. Any experts out there to advise?? Im v tempted as its much cheaper and nearer but I think Ill be sticking to my salon in Belfast as the results are amazing, better the devil you know and all that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

Hi all,

So i have a question on the final result. Does it look sleek and straight as if you just got it straight with you GHD?
    I have somewhat wavy hair and frizzy, but it's not very curly. However i hate how it looks if i dont straighten it as it looks a bit unruly, specially at the ends, all going in diff directions and not very nice.
    If i had this done, will i achieve the GHD look without the hassle?? :rolleyes:

Thanks ladies!

I think it really depends on you hair and Im not a hairdresser so have no idea if it would be the result you want at the end! I imagine theres no way to know until you do it. Think you would be lucky tho in that I have really curly roots so dont get long enough out of it, wish I had less curly hair cos it would last much longer! I wouldnt say my hair is GHD sleek but its like a good blowdry. I still need my serums etc and it still needs to be blowdried after washing. I think theres no magic formula to change you hair, my hair is still my hair but its straight (not the naturally sleek hair i envy on other people) However as Ive thick hair it has retained the volume I like in it. Its kinda flat the first few wks but the thickness/volume then comes back.

Bear in mind with the IHR I had done you cant wash your hair for 3 days (so its v greasy by the 3rd day), you cant tie it up even put it behind your hair. I do find this torture.. And for 2 WEEKS I wasnt allowed tie it up at all (to prevent bends forming) This was really tough as couldnt go to gym properly and I do tie to my hair alot normally. I do find my hair a bit drier this time around, more than the first time, and I use really good conditioners eg kerastase and moroccan oil. So although Im very happy with the results I do feel theres no easy way to achieve manageable hair, it does take work and patience and money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cheryl1990

This might sound abit stupid but i also had my hair perm straightened in koreana on parnell st a month ago and i was wondering if i can still use a curling iron from time to time or would it ruin my hair???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Hey- I got mine done in there and I curled my hair a few weeks after and it held and then went back to straight as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cheryl1990

thanks, i was abit iffy about risking it! Anychance do u know if its still safe to dye my hair?? iv had it straightened over 5 weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Panda Lover

I'm so confused about all the options. I see Cowboys and Angels do an Yuko Anti- Frizz treatment for €150. Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

What would be good for dry/wavy frizzy hair? I dont want it to be straight just want the frizz gone. Anyone had the Aveeda treatment done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ivanalolipop

hey just wondering if anyone knows if that koreana hair salon is still open? i couldn't find it on parnell street today.. amybe it has closed down.
    i am going to phone tomorrow to see if that number works.

hey just wondering if anyone knows if that koreana hair salon is still open? i couldn't find it on parnell street today.. amybe it has closed down.
    i am going to phone tomorrow to see if that number works.
    God I hope it's not gone cause I'm due a top up soon, haha.
    Whereabouts on Parnell st were you?
    P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement