Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where can I purchase Nokian Studded Tyres in Ireland or UK?

• 05-01-2010 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

As the global climate warms up, Ireland has its own agenda. And seen as there is no sign of any railway transport coming to my area in the near future, I would like to buy snow tyres or studded tyres for driving on ice to get around. Just like they do in Finland, every year since the 1960's.

Searching the net hasn't brought up any definitive places to order Nokian studded tyres in Ireland or the UK. So I thought I would throw it out there...

Also if anyone would like to have an argument about future meteorolgy in Ireland, and tell me "its only a 40 year event" I can accommadate you also.

p.s I am not a climatologist or a meteorologist, but I do have a brain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Buy them on-line, but I suspect the cold snap will be history before they arrive.

Camskill is the best site if you can master the navigation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are studded tyres legal for use here? And even if so, wouldn't the studs wear off on tarmac? I'd be thinking of a set of winter tyres, and AWD on your next car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

i doubt that awd would really make that much of a difference unless you plan on going to work through the fields or over a few ditches, surley if the roiad was a sheet of ice then is all you would have is 4wheels spinning in place of 2.
    i would think that wintert tyres would be the way to go, but like was allready stated for the few weeks of this weather we get each year i doubt if it would make financial sens to purchase and store a set for the year.
    would be more in you line to buy a boat or dinghy as this seems to be more usefull in this country than a car :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Anan1 wrote: »
    Are studded tyres legal for use here? And even if so, wouldn't the studs wear off on tarmac? I'd be thinking of a set of winter tyres, and AWD on your next car.

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP- they may not be legal. I lived in Finland before and under their legal system you must have them on your car for certain months of the year. However, when a certain date comes (something like March 1st) they are then illegal and you must revert back to normal tyres.
    I think its something to do with the studs eventually cracking the tarmac- they are designed for driving on snowy roads, not for extended use of roads that are clear.

OP I'd instead buy yourself a set of snow chains, they only take 5 minutes to fit and they do offer good grip, even on ice. If you still do want to go with the studded tyres idea then Id say importing them from Sweden/Denmark/Finland shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

RATM wrote: »
    I lived in Finland before and under their legal system you must have them on your car for certain months of the year.

A slight correction, it is required by law to use M+S tyres, not necessary a studded ones, you can user winter tyres as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Be Do Have

v300 wrote: »
    Buy them on-line, but I suspect the cold snap will be history before they arrive.

Camskill is the best site if you can master the navigation of it.

Thanks, good website. Didn't see any studs though.

Anan1 wrote: »

Everythings illegal in Ireland.
    Winter, Spring, Summer or Autumn tires wont get you up or down an icey hill safely. Just watch the news if you dont believe me.

RATM wrote: »
    OP I'd instead buy yourself a set of snow chains, they only take 5 minutes to fit and they do offer good grip, even on ice. If you still do want to go with the studded tyres idea then Id say importing them from Sweden/Denmark/Finland shouldn't be a problem.

Snow chains, thanks i'll look into that also. Also, im not looking for studded tyres to drive on tarmac all year round. That would just be silly. I want them for icey conditions, far worse ice then we have seen these past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Be Do Have wrote: »
    Snow chains, thanks i'll look into that also. Also, im not looking for studded tyres to drive on tarmac all year round. That would just be silly. I want them for icey conditions, far worse ice then we have seen these past few days.

Where are you planning driving then?
    If you do go down the snow chain route then make sure they are fitted to the tyres that are actually driving the car or otherwise they will be useless. Also if you're in a 4x4 using 4WD you'll need chains on each tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ox Mountains

Nokian Dealer in Ireland is Agri-gear Ltd, Kells Road, Bailieboro, Co. Cavan, (042) 9666444.
    I called them today and they don't stock studded tyres only friction tyres. They would get in studded tyres with their next container but it could be a few months.
    Go to www.nokiantyres.com/importers and select Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Would studded tyres or snow chains work any bit well in the amount of snow and ice we have? I always taught it had to bit quite deep for them to work well, like the conditions they get in Scandinavia.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Be Do Have wrote: »
    Everythings illegal in Ireland.
    Winter, Spring, Summer or Autumn tires wont get you up or down an icey hill safely. Just watch the news if you dont believe me.
    Given our climate I'm not sure what difference it would make to have winter or studded tyres. Where they are used, the weather,though cold, tends to be dry and snowy, not wet and icy in the main.

I stand to be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They'll work alright but be very noisy and speed restricted to stop the studs coming out from centrifugal force.
    They work well in snow and ice not so good on tarmac.
    They are not illegal there was a post a while back from a guy who works for the NCT(upshot was they are legal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 turnbull

I too have been looking for studded tyres. I had a pair for my old car and used them over ten years for perhaps 1500 miles of drvinig in total. They make an incredible difference when driving on sheet ice from a location between steep hills in Co. Louth. I would typically put the tyres on for a day or two and on occasion for a week. Some years passed when they were not needed at all. I also used studded tyres in the States and never had any problem with them.

I have ordered winter tyres for the two cars we are presently using but need studded tyres as well and if anyone finds a site which sells these tyres on line or in Ireland I would be most interested. Studs make all the difference in the world on ice. From what I understand the increase in grip on ice for winter tyres is only about 12%. I am talking about ice not snow.

These tyres are not suitable for someone who is not in a position to change their tyres as soon as the road conditions improve.

Any help in finding an on line dealer would be appreciated. My searches have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks to all Doug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fortuna4022

I've been having the same hunt, I slid on some ice over new year and did some damage to suspension - point is that any driving whatsoever in icy conditions is extremely dangerous; the repair bill for me is :eek: ~1400 euro ! (This was a gentle slide and collision with the curb, no bodywork damage, just recovery to workshop and replace strut, wishbone, CV joint, tie-rod & sump (sump I think :confused: got broken during recovery - it's my third so far, they're very easily broken :rolleyes:).
    I've hunted high and low for studded tyres - the irish dealers simply don't have them and the UK dealers shiver with fear and tell me that they are very illegal (don't take them to Newry on your next shopping trip ! The fine will be 10k stg) I've found a dealer in Ukraine who will sell a top range set of Hakkapeliita 7 studded tyres for about 400 euro however this is before the courier cost. I went down to the Gardai to ask if there was any problem with legality over this and just about got laughed out of the Garda station, they said they won't be stopping anybody driving on them; understandable since the morning papers are seeing the top Govt. levels being hauled up over the country grinding to a halt under and inch or so of ice on the roads with salt stocks rapidily running out . . . . . . .
    If anyone thinks studded tyres are bad for roads, some truck drivers have been using snow chains - now there's a tarmac crunching road shagger !
    Any comments ?? Anyone heard of a prosecution for using studded winter tyres ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Jesus H lads, just get some Winter Tyres if your going to get anything !

Winter Tyres are pretty noise and use extra fuel anyway, can't even imagine what studded tyres would be like on Tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Since motors is in overreaction mode, where's the thread on these? :DPower-Winch-Car-Winch-Jeep-Winch-Suv-Winch-LD8500-.jpg

Or possibly these:
    2006_skidoo_mx_550_x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scandinavian countries are even banning studded tyres in certain regions as they wear down the tarmac. As Ireland hasn't had this issue yet maybe there isn't any legislation in place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Surely what you want is Mud and snow tyres without studs (see the section here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyres). Since half the time you'll be driving on tarmac and half the time you're on ice. The studs wouldn't do the roads any good i'm sure!

Ok, I think the snow trac might get attention from the gardai !
    The point is that winter tyres are pretty useless on ice - I found this out to my horror on the autobahn in Germany - the car went carreering out of the lane and into the fast lane on black ice despite being on the soft rubber winter tyes, found traction again just before leaving the road for the centre concrete - very close ! The winter tyres are 10 ~ 15% better than the normal tyres which we use all year - i.e. about 10 % better than quite useless if the temperature falls below zero and ice sets in.
    By the way, anybody looked at the state of our roads lately ? :(:mad:
    Are studs going to make make them any worse ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Or will it just mean less wrecked cars along the M4 ?
    (Also you have to drive slower with studs, the RSA will simply love the speed reduction). If the studs save me from one further encounter with the curb, then that's a real great deal as the suspension refit cost = three sets of the best studded tyres . . . . . . . . (plus 200 euro for a lavish night out).
    Maybe next time, I'll not be so lucky - there could be something other than big curb stone when the slide ends (Tree :eek: / BMW ?:D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anyone know where I can get chains ?

I head a place on the Long Mile Road was selling them (JFK industrial estate maybe ?) but can't figure out what place it is. Anyone any ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The point is that winter tyres are pretty useless on ice - I found this out to my horror on the autobahn in Germany - the car went carreering out of the lane and into the fast lane on black ice despite being on the soft rubber winter tyes, found traction again just before leaving the road for the centre concrete - very close ! The winter tyres are 10 ~ 15% better than the normal tyres which we use all year - i.e. about 10 % better than quite useless if the temperature falls below zero and ice sets in.
    By the way, anybody looked at the state of our roads lately ? :(:mad:
    Are studs going to make make them any worse ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Or will it just mean less wrecked cars along the M4 ?
    (Also you have to drive slower with studs, the RSA will simply love the speed reduction). If the studs save me from one further encounter with the curb, then that's a real great deal as the suspension refit cost = three sets of the best studded tyres . . . . . . . . (plus 200 euro for a lavish night out).
    Maybe next time, I'll not be so lucky - there could be something other than big curb stone when the slide ends (Tree :eek: / BMW ?:D)

Trying to drive with Studs on Tarmac would be like trying to cycle a bicycle on rims on the footpath.

With regard to the part in bold, there is a huge different between standard and winter tyres on snow/sleet. My ABS was kicking in the whole time last year on standard all years, this winter i went and got winter tyres and theres a huge difference.

RE@ Part in bold: Black ice on the Autobahn, I drive 230 km round trip every day to work on Autobahn, I plan my route before hand depending on the state of the road and traffic. I wouldn't leave work or home without checking this first. (saved myself a 3 hour traffic jam last night)

http://www.verkehrsinfo.de/

Prevention is the best way :)

Agreed - there's where the winter tyres are grand - snow & sleet, if you have ice (as we now on much of the seconday road network (for want of salting), winter tyres probably won't help much - this was my experience on the autobahn near Leipzig, may I never experience black ice again.
    (The situation is so bad with salt supply that sand is being considered to bulk up gritting supplies or at least that is what was printed in the Indo earlier - it's desperate !).
    Some of the roads I've encountered have a layer of snow underwhich is a layer of ice; I got stuck on such a road north of Sligo - we pulled the car (by physically shoving it sideways) off the road into a layby. I looked at the road and discovered that it had a half inch layer of snow / hail and beneath this was a layer of ice about one inch thick, I would not have approached this road had I known.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

quote]

Theyre goin to have to catch you first......:D

Good point I would not put any bets on the squad car where a snow trac is involved !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ninty9er wrote: »
    ........ Where they are used, the weather,though cold, tends to be dry and snowy, not wet and icy in the main.

I stand to be corrected though.

...no prob, consider yourself corrected :)

Hovering -6 here for the last few days, bone dry since 28th Dec, barely icing the windscreen overnight.........'crispy'.

That'll do the trick, then......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

By definition, once the mercury falls below zero it is no longer wet (due to freeze) so snow and ice build; most dangerous is when the mercury subsequenly climbs back over 0 - leaves a laver of melt water on the ice for good sliding . . . . . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GREENWORLD

I lived in Finland for a year. I was amazed at how the Fins got around so easily on the ice with their studded tyres. They cope very well with the weather there. Don't forget the snow can last for several months over there. They store their winter tyres at home and get them changed as soon as the weather changes, I'm sure they get a few years out of their tyres. As for damage to the roads over there - considering they are using the studded tyres for up to 6 months of the year - of course there will be some damage. I think the emergency services here should have those tyres fitted - who knows we may have this weather more often now as the climate is changing. I think they should be available to eveyone here also - I think it all depends on if you can afford the cost involved in getting them changed twice and I'm sure the tyres are a bit more expensive than the ordinary tyres too. It's absolutely crazy to see ambulances turning over and emergency vehicles being held up because we are not eqquipped here to deal with this kind of problem. At least we could be getting around ourselves with these tyres and not having to depend on this Government who can't get their act together with the gritting !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GREENWORLD

One more point, the garages in Finland make a fortune on this every year - when you consider that a few million people have to get their tyres changed every year. I'm sure it would be a good opportunity for garage owners here also to make a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

GREENWORLD wrote: »
    One more point, the garages in Finland make a fortune on this every year - when you consider that a few million people have to get their tyres changed every year. I'm sure it would be a good opportunity for garage owners here also to make a few bob.

People don't get their tyres changed. You usually have a set of steelies or alloys with your wintertyres on. All you need is to jack your car up, take the summer wheels off and put the winter wheels on.

Obviously, if you're too lazy to do that and go to a garage to get it done, then you'll pay for it.

Also, some garages offer at a fixed price to switch your wheels over and store your summer/winter wheels for you, if you don't have the space. You pay X per year and they hold whatever set of wheels you don't use in store for you.

It's a good business model, but neither rip off nor costs a fortune. The only gold diggers in that concept would be found here if it became common.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement