Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Very Best All Season Tyres Available??

• 15-12-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi Im looking for peoples suggestions and options on the best all season tyres to get that will work brilliantly in both summer and winter and all sorts of roads conditions like snow and ice etc, looking for a quick response on this, Thnaks in advance everyone :)

Also all i have seen so far is some kleber quadtraxer tyre and some bridgestone tyre, dont know if there any good either?

forgot to add my car is a Ford Focus Diesel which i need the tyres for.

Having 2 sets of tyres for summer and winter would be alot of hassle and expense, so would be really looking for the all season tyres, thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to say I'm pretty happy with the Hankook Optimo 4S tyres I had fitted to my Passat a few weeks back. No issues at all in the heavy rain or very cold mornings since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Hi Im looking for peoples suggestions and options on the best all season tyres to get that will work brilliantly in both summer and winter and all sorts of roads conditions like snow and ice etc, looking for a quick response on this, Thnaks in advance everyone :)

Also all i have seen so far is some kleber quadtraxer tyre and some bridgestone tyre, dont know if there any good either?

You are looking for the fabelled perfect tyre, it simply does not exist as most tyres are some compromise or another (grip/price/road noise/temperature/handling etc etc).

No winter tyre can be as good as a summer tyre in summer and visa-versa.

If you want the best for every season, buy a set of decent winter tyres AND summer tyres and swap them accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Yes 2 sets of tyres are prefable :)

However Uniroyal Rallye are quite good in the dry and excellent in the wet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

just updated this there, the car the tyres are for is a Ford Focus Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

A friend of mine has used the Goodyear Vector 4 Season and rates it highly for year round use. Like others have said, there's no panacea when it comes to tyres. Good performance in one area always means a compromise elsewhere.

I've just switched to Vredestein Ultrac Centos and so far I'm happy enough with them. They're sold as a summer wet-weather tyre, but so far I've not found the traction or grip wanting at low temps. That said, given the tread pattern I don't expect them to do well on snow or ice.

• Advertisement

Chimaera wrote: »
    A friend of mine has used the Goodyear Vector 4 Season and rates it highly for year round use. Like others have said, there's no panacea when it comes to tyres. Good performance in one area always means a compromise elsewhere. I've just switched to Vredestein Ultrac Centos and so far I'm happy enough with them. They're sold as a summer wet-weather tyre, but so far I've not found the traction or grip wanting at low temps. That said, given the tread pattern I don't expect them to do well on snow or ice.

in relation to the goodyear ones how would the handling/grip be and the road noise off them would ya say?

A friend of mine has used the Goodyear Vector 4 Season and rates it highly for year round use. Like others have said, there's no panacea when it comes to tyres. Good performance in one area always means a compromise elsewhere. I've just switched to Vredestein Ultrac Centos and so far I'm happy enough with them. They're sold as a summer wet-weather tyre, but so far I've not found the traction or grip wanting at low temps. That said, given the tread pattern I don't expect them to do well on snow or ice.

in relation to the goodyear ones how would the handling/grip be and the road noise off them would ya say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I've not used them myself so I don't know.

I've not used them myself so I don't know.

ah right no worries. thanks anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I'm currently running some Bridgestone A001 WeatherControl. I only have 1000km on them as I have been out of the country with work.

They are quieter than I expected and grip is very good in normal weather conditions but its too early to give a real verdict sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a set of the Bridgestone A001 for my mum, she is delighted with them so far. They have a very deep tread and lots of sipes in the tyre.
    They were designed for European conditions so should be very suitable as an all season tyre here.

I'm currently running some Bridgestone A001 WeatherControl. I only have 1000km on them as I have been out of the country with work.

They are quieter than I expected and grip is very good in normal weather conditions but its too early to give a real verdict sorry.

was actually looking into those bridgestones last night, cheers

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I got a set of the Bridgestone A001 for my mum, she is delighted with them so far. They have a very deep tread and lots of sipes in the tyre.
    They were designed for European conditions so should be very suitable as an all season tyre here.

how would ya find them in the wet or ice would ya say was actually these exact tyres last night thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

So the estate was coated in black ice this morning, I couldn't really walk on it.

Anyway first maneouver is to reverse out of the driveway and onto the road, the road is an uphill slope. I was taking care but still noticed the car was less likely to perform a reverse J turn. (if you are familiar with that)

So I tried braking on my way downhill but only from a very low speed, I noticed that the pedal didn't hit the floor instantly and hammer my foot with abs as it had in the past. I could tell the tyres were grabbing and slipping a little bit, but then its black ice so not really all that surprised that there was some slippage. Unfortunately the estate was busy with other cars and I was nearly running late for work so I couldn't play around, though I would have liked to try driving uphill to see how it went.

My estate is a serious ice blackspot so I will definitely have more opportunities to test the tyres, but of course its never going to be a definitive test.

So all I can really say is they don't trip the ABS in the same way my other tyres did. I will add more updates over time.

Advertisement