Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repeating the Leaving Cert- what subjects?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've just got my results, and unfortunately they aren't good enough for what I wanted, so I'm going to repeat the Leaving Cert. I want to do medicine, so I know that I need two sciences. I didn't do terribly in anything except French, but I need higher to get the course I really want.

The subjects I did this year are:

English
    HL Maths
    French
    History
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

I really don't want to repeat French and English at higher level, but I know I'll have to do them in ordinary.

The subjects I'm thinking of doing next year are:

OL English
    OL French
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    HL Maths

However I need two more subjects and that means I'll be doing 8 subjects to repeat my leaving cert. It seems like too much, especially if I have to focus on the HPAT as well.

I only need a minimum of a d3 in OL French and English, but would it be better to bump one of them up to higher level so I don't have to do 8 subjects?

I got a B2 in History, but I'm not too sure whether to repeat that and see if I could get an A1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi, sorry you didn't get what you wanted, if you have any questions about repeating ,feel free to pm and i'll try to help :)

Firstly why do you not want to repeat french and english at higher?
    I'd advise you to avoid ordinary if possible while repeating -you still need to put in the work for them so i kind of see it as a waste of time as you won't be counting them.(i know you need it as a requirement though) i'd prefer to use my time to do higher english and french than use the time doing ordinary english,french + another 2 subjects if you get what i mean.
    I understand that you may find those two really difficult compared to other subjects but 8 subjects is just so many :eek:
    If it was me i would definitely try to do one of them or even both:confused: at higher so you would only have 6 subjects?
    you know yourself though,if you are really weak in say french maybe stick with ordinary and then do history! If you did that well in it already ,i could definitely see you bringing that up.

sorry for the long post ..what i'm saying is i think 7 subjects ,biology,chemistry,physics,maths, history, english at higher, and ordinary french may work best.
    Hopefully someone else will post here for a second opinion, best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Could you please tell us your results? Including your HPAT :)

Also the 2015 English course is very different from that of 2014. Unless you are an A1 candidate I would leave that go. Do the exam at OL on the day. Unless you have an exemption you'll have to do Irish too (matriculation requirements for Med have to be obtained in the one year).

Do French at HL I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rjmcguinness

My results were:

French: D2 (I really messed up this subject)
    History: B2
    Chemistry: B3
    Biology: A1
    Physics: B3
    English: C2
    Maths: B3

HPAT: 163... It wasn't very good, but hopefully it might get better next year

Also I have an exemption from Irish :) I moved here 3 years ago so I didn't have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mentos_0097

hi I'm going to be repeating this year as well as I wouldn't be too worried about English if I were you. I looked up the 2015 syllabus and the only thing that you have to newly learn with be othello if you did macbeth last year or whatever. The paper one exam will be the same and only some of paper 2 is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mentos_0097

I'll be doing the same 7 subjects all at higher. I suggest you do the same and maybe consider grinds if you feel that you worked really hard in a certain subject but nothing came out of all those hours of studying. good luck with everything anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JF77

Hi all, I am looking for advice on whether i should repeat the leaving cert this year. I am definitely repeating the Hpat as i didn't score high enough this year.

My grades and subjects(all higher) are as follows:
    Biology A2
    Chemistry A2
    Economics A2
    English A2 (Not counted)
    French A1
    Irish A2
    Maths B1

This gives me 570 but i looked at my scripts on Saturday and have very good chances of going up to an A2 in Maths (I was 7 points off and wasn't awarded any marks for one of questions which is correct according to my teacher and is worth 10 marks). I also hope to move my biology up to an A1 (I was 5 points off and again filled in an apparent discrepancy form which should hopefully be brought up) These new grades would bring me up to 585. The question i have is if i should repeat.

I scored 163 in the hpat (70th percentile) but was very disappointed as was hoping for 80/90th. I probably didn't work hard enough on my hpat but i'm willing to work very hard on hpat this year.

To sum it up, is 585 too low a leaving cert to get medicine? Should i repeat both the Lc and hpat?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

JF77 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am looking for advice on whether i should repeat the leaving cert this year. I am definitely repeating the Hpat as i didn't score high enough this year.

My grades and subjects(all higher) are as follows:
    Biology A2
    Chemistry A2
    Economics A2
    English A2 (Not counted)
    French A1
    Irish A2
    Maths B1

This gives me 570 but i looked at my scripts on Saturday and have very good chances of going up to an A2 in Maths (I was 7 points off and wasn't awarded any marks for one of questions which is correct according to my teacher and is worth 10 marks). I also hope to move my biology up to an A1 (I was 5 points off and again filled in an apparent discrepancy form which should hopefully be brought up) These new grades would bring me up to 585. The question i have is if i should repeat.

I scored 163 in the hpat (70th percentile) but was very disappointed as was hoping for 80/90th. I probably didn't work hard enough on my hpat but i'm willing to work very hard on hpat this year.

To sum it up, is 585 too low a leaving cert to get medicine? Should i repeat both the Lc and hpat?

Many thanks
    If I were you I wouldn't do it.. even if you get 625 (which will be a massive amount of time and effort) it will only bring you up 8 points more than what you would get with 585. And there's no guarantee you'll get 625.
    585 is an excellent score and if you improve even marginally on your hpat you should have a very good chance of getting it this year.
    It's up to you though really, good luck and congrats on your LC!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Go with the English, Irish, Maths, Biology and History. Take Home Economics. 6 subjects. 6A1s easy.

Beca19 wrote: »
    If I were you I wouldn't do it.. even if you get 625 (which will be a massive amount of time and effort) it will only bring you up 8 points more than what you would get with 585. And there's no guarantee you'll get 625.
    585 is an excellent score and if you improve even marginally on your hpat you should have a very good chance of getting it this year.
    It's up to you though really, good luck and congrats on your LC!

Thank you for your prompt reply. I've talked to a lot of people and i should hopefully get nuig even with a 72% hpat score which is a very small improvement from this year.
    I've already enrolled in a repeating school so I think that I should at least start that until the rechecks come up, if they come up!
    I do agree with you that it would take a colossal effort to get 625 and that might deter from my hpat score. Realistically if I repeated and did come up, the highest u think I'd get would be 600/610 which for an awful lot of work, only counts for 3 more points
    Thank you again for your response and hopefully the second examiners will be kind to me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Are you applying to the UK jf77?

• Advertisement

@oncex I'm not quite sure as of yet. To be honest, i don't think so. I'd rather go to Scotland (free fees and all) but from what I've heard, it's quite difficult but if i wasn't repeating my leaving, i guess i would have a lot of free time. :)

Do you know anyone who has applied to the Uk successfully or do you plan or doing so?

I lived in England for 10 years and i have lots of family friends over there so i wouldn't be completely closed to the idea of studying there. My best friend over there is actually applying for medicine but her AS results (5th year exams) might not be good enough. She got 2A's and 2B's but probably needs 4A's :(

Advertisement