Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco Modem/Router Password

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cipher_neo

Are you running windows Vista? There have been some problems with the drivers in vista for some of the USB Wifi adapters...

If you go to the website for the manufacturer of your device, you will be able to download the latest drivers for your operating system.

Are you receiving a list of networks on screen when you try to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

cipher_neo wrote: »
    Are you running windows Vista? There have been some problems with the drivers in vista for some of the USB Wifi adapters...

If you go to the website for the manufacturer of your device, you will be able to download the latest drivers for your operating system.

Are you receiving a list of networks on screen when you try to connect?

Sorry only getting back now.
    The desktop in question is running Vista. I tried to install new drivers, but that didn't work.
    We got a new USB Wireless adapter, I think the brand is Ralink. No difference.
    Yes, I am getting a list of networks I could connect to (my neighbours, etc) when I try to connect to our one.
    We moved the desktop onto the landing, and now it works. But we can't leave it there. It needs to be in a room. Clearly, when it is in a room it just does not pick up on the wireless internet from the Cisco modem, so I've another question:
    Can you have two chorus ntl TV points (the box thing on the wall with two connections) in the one house? This would mean We could have on for our TV downstairs, and one exclusively for our modem upstairs . We only have one TV, so what would someone do if they wanted two TVs with NTL? Is the norm having two of those boxes?
    Thanks again for any responses- We're onto UPC daily, but I just can't put up with their awful customer service anymore.
    Also, I have a laptop, which picks up the internet just fine- is this because it has a very strong WIFI card installed?

Thank you!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cipher_neo

I am really lost as to why you cannot connect to your own network. I still have a feeling that it is a driver thing. Strange how you can connect out in the hallway :confused:

Yes, you can have multiple UPC connection points in one household. In the apartment we are in, we have 4, so theoretically, you can connect your TV's and router whatever way you please, once UPC install another point. This is how it works for us anyway.

If you continue to have problems with the wireless adapter, consider getting a UPC point installed in the room that will hold the PC, and then run an ethernet cable from the router to the PC rather than use the wireless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

cipher_neo wrote: »
    I am really lost as to why you cannot connect to your own network. I still have a feeling that it is a driver thing. Strange how you can connect out in the hallway :confused:

Yes, you can have multiple UPC connection points in one household. In the apartment we are in, we have 4, so theoretically, you can connect your TV's and router whatever way you please, once UPC install another point. This is how it works for us anyway.

If you continue to have problems with the wireless adapter, consider getting a UPC point installed in the room that will hold the PC, and then run an ethernet cable from the router to the PC rather than use the wireless connection.

I know, it is confusing us all!
    I think that the next step would be to get another UPC point installed, and have the modem closer to the Desktop.
    Is it possible for the modem to be connected to the desktop via an Ethernet cable and still be sending wifi? Like could I use my laptop wirelessly, and have the desktop wired to the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Also, I have a laptop, which picks up the internet just fine- is this because it has a very strong WIFI card installed?

Thank you!!:D

Yes, laptops wifi cards are usually high quality compared to usb external cards seeing as they are very difficult to replace so better do it right the first time round in terms on making the comp. External cards are usually what you pay for them because they are so easy install / uninstall. They also have the added issue of having to go through a USB port rather than direct like an internal wifi card.

Few options... unrealistically but theoretically you could get a usb extender cable, leave the comp in the room connectring one end to the tower and hide the cable to the doorway ... plug in the usb adapter into the end by the doorway where you know the radio signal is fine and hey presto..

Second more realistic option is to buy a better / more expensive usb wifi adapter.

Third option is a home plug system, a little techy but google search for plenty of info.

Fourth option is to move their modem to the same room as the comp, they charge 50eur for this so the other options are more cost effective but require you to do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I know, it is confusing us all!
    If the desktop is picking up the signal when located in the landing & not picking it up from the bedroom, there must be something obstructing the signal from the modem to the bedroom.

I have had a similar problem in the past, but on the same ground level. The problem in my case turned out to be that the signal wasn't strong enough when it had to go through a wall & 2 doors (fire doors) when the doors were open (so were acting as 2 more walls), but worked fine when they were closed, as they were no longer obstructing the signal & just had to get through the wall.

Do you have concrete floors/ceilings? Is the modem in a cabinet or press, or obstructed in any way from the top? Maybe if you tried moving it around as much as you can in the room downstairs, maybe putting it as high as possible in a few different places might help. You could see if moving the desktop itself as much as possible in the bedroom to see if that makes any difference.

It might sound as an odd suggestion, but worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

internal laptop wifi cards will normally pick up a better signal than a USB wifi dongle because they are fitted with an internal antenna (or sometimes two) that runs around on the the inside of the laptop, usually around the outside of the screen lid.

this is able to make the most of a much weaker signal than a USB wifi dongle as the dongles normally only have a small internal antenna packed inside the shell of the dongle.

some USB wifi dongles do have a socket to plug in an external antenna though, or even have one attached so this might be an option for you.

something like this:

descargar_wlan_usb2_0_54mbps_2_4ghz.jpg

it's possible your wifi dongle has a socket for an antenna, so it might just be a case of buying one to fit it, although you need to know which connection it uses as there are several options.

another option might be to use a USB extension cable to place your dongle in a better position to try and get a signal, or even make a homemade signal booster if you have a spare cooking strainer around. :D

it may also be possible to increase the signal strength from the router by replacing the existing antenna with a larger one, again assuming you can find a larger antenna with the same connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

vibe666 wrote: »
    internal laptop wifi cards will normally pick up a better signal than a USB wifi dongle because they are fitted with an internal antenna (or sometimes two) that runs around on the the inside of the laptop, usually around the outside of the screen lid.

this is able to make the most of a much weaker signal than a USB wifi dongle as the dongles normally only have a small internal antenna packed inside the shell of the dongle.

some USB wifi dongles do have a socket to plug in an external antenna though, or even have one attached so this might be an option for you.

something like this:

descargar_wlan_usb2_0_54mbps_2_4ghz.jpg

it's possible your wifi dongle has a socket for an antenna, so it might just be a case of buying one to fit it, although you need to know which connection it uses as there are several options.

another option might be to use a USB extension cable to place your dongle in a better position to try and get a signal, or even make a homemade signal booster if you have a spare cooking strainer around. :D

it may also be possible to increase the signal strength from the router by replacing the existing antenna with a larger one, again assuming you can find a larger antenna with the same connection.
    Im just wondering can you knock of the wireless off on the cisco epc2425 router.IM getting upc broadband next tursday and just want to use wired and turn off wireless so it cant be pick up by anybody else outside my house thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rob808 wrote: »
    Im just wondering can you knock of the wireless off on the cisco epc2425 router.IM getting upc broadband next tursday and just want to use wired and turn off wireless so it cant be pick up by anybody else outside my house thanks.
    indeed you can. the installer should be able to show you where and how to do it when he puts it in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

Hi,

I have the Cisco EPC2435 wireless modem from UPC. I also have an ASUS WL-500gP router which has an internal print server. To the ASUS router I have connect a laser printer from which I am able to print when I am connected wirelessly to that router. This of course is a pain as when I want to print I have to disconnect from the Cisco router and connect to the ASUS router.

Is there a way to connect to the ASUS router and hence print through the UPC Cisco router?
    All help is much appreciated.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 damoire

bromley52 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the Cisco EPC2435 wireless modem from UPC. I also have an ASUS WL-500gP router which has an internal print server. To the ASUS router I have connect a laser printer from which I am able to print when I am connected wirelessly to that router. This of course is a pain as when I want to print I have to disconnect from the Cisco router and connect to the ASUS router.

Is there a way to connect to the ASUS router and hence print through the UPC Cisco router?
    All help is much appreciated.:)

Hi Bromley,
    Try this, set your IP address on the ASUS to an address in the same domain as the UPC. Use an address that's not in your DHCP pool (e.g. 192.168.1.254) Turn off the DHCP server on the ASUS. Connect the the routers with a Cat5 Cable.
    You may need to use a crossover cable. and you'll need to reconfigure your printer TCP/IP port settings to direct it to the new IP address.

Hope the works. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Artur.PL

Default Settings

Login URL: http://192.168.1.1
    Username: <blank>
    Password: <blank>

There is an “Advanced” tab which will ask for another Username & Password:
    Username: admin
    Password: W2402
    It was working for a long time but looks like not anymore. Is there a new username and password?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭electrolinks

Artur.PL wrote: »
    It was working for a long time but looks like not anymore. Is there a new username and password?

Not working for me now either... Can't get into advanced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try telnet to 192.168.1.1 and see if the advanced menu appears in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Artur.PL wrote: »

Don't drag up old threads to duplicate what's already in the dedicated sticky thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146473

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement