Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Modules

• 24-07-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello, hopefully going into UCD Arts in September and i was just wondering how many modules you take in each subject? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Is it for DN500? Joint Arts?
    You are generally expected to take 4 modules in each of the subjects you intent to take on to your final degree. If you do this, you will have used 8 out of 12 modules slots, but one of these will be used for a mandatory Humanities module. You will have 3 modules places to fill, 1 elective and 2 standard modules. Before the humanities module, there had been 2 electives and 2 standard (but I believe that one of the electives is used to make this mandatory). The elective you can use anywhere in ucd, but the other 2 must be used in arts.

The were some rules that I remember - you can not take more than 6 subjects in DN500. Humanities will be considered 1 of these.
    While you do not have to take 4 modules in each subject, be sure that you take all of the mandatory/core modules or you cannot progress into year 2.
    If you take 2 modules in a subject you can progress to year 2 in that subject, but all mandatory modules must be completed if there were any.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You have 60 credits, most modules are 5 credits. Most people will do 2 semesters of 30 credits each, from experience I seriously advise you to do that, at least in first year.

In semester 1 you have on mandatory module called Intro to Arts, then you have 25 credits left to do with what you want.

Take English for example, you have to take two modules to be able to take English after first year (Literature in Context 1 & 2 afaik) and there are two other modules on offer (Coming of Age Narratives and Literary Genre), you are advised to take both of them if you want to continue on with English, but they are not mandatory.

Most subjects seem to have 2 or 3 modules that you need to do to continue on with a subject, some will have specific requirements, some will have 'do any 2 of the ones on offer' (there's 6 Philosophy modules available, and I think you only have to take two to continue on with it).

I'm in the same boat atm (albeit leaving a different course in UCD) and finding out concrete information is pretty tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 keltoi93

You have to take at least two in a subject for it to be an option for second year. So basically thats 10 credits per subject so depending on how you work it you've between 2-6 subjects you can carry on. Like others have said above it's advised you do 4 of the core modules but it's not a requirement, I only 3/4 in both of my subjects (Im abot to enter my final year).

Advertisement