Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NHL: 2012 Playoffs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

with the special teams for the nucks playing the way they are, it will take a bit of a shake up for that to happen, maybe daniel is the key... but they have also given up too many pp goals and shgs in the series for any team that expect to proceed to the next round...

its not going to be easy for them, especially in LA...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

Yeah I think the Canucks aren't with it, and the Kings wil end it tomorrow night. Kings 2-1.

Bruins and Caps game last night was some doosie. Plenty of goals and some heavy hits, think the Bruins ended with 58, which is huge. I think the Caps are getting a bit too far away from their own game, trying to play the physical side too much and not concentrating on what made them good.

Tonight games should be exciting, I fancy the Pred's to again take out the Wings, who like the Nucks seem to be missing a step at times.

yeah was a cracking game last night, unlucky bounce off charas shot, holtby hadnt a chance... hopefully they can bounce back in the next, and get away from the physical stuff, keep up the mind games though, they got to some of the bruins players last night getting them to the box...

i would like to see the red wings take tonights game even it up, be good going into the last 3 tied, its a good match-up between them 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Based on the precedent set by the James Wisniewski suspension at the start of the season, I full expect Raffi Torres to be suspended for a minimum of eight games as a multiple repeat offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Based on the precedent set by the James Wisniewski suspension at the start of the season, I full expect Raffi Torres to be suspended for a minimum of eight games as a multiple repeat offender.

No chance. "Playoffs are a like mini seasons bla bla bla"

Not suspending Weber set the precedent and the playoffs are now chaos as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Dustin Brown's hit on Henrik. Intent to injure, and but for Henrik turning at the last second it could have been serious.

Hopefully Daniel plays tonight, and a thumping win brings us back to Van. A good win, and we should regain the confidence to win G5, and form there, who knows!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    No chance. "Playoffs are a like mini seasons bla bla bla"

Not suspending Weber set the precedent and the playoffs are now chaos as a result.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393534

COYOTES' TORRES SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY FOR HIT ON HOSSA

Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres has been suspended indefinitely, pending an in-person hearing on Friday, for his hit on Marian Hossa of the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 3 on Tuesday night.

The hearing, which had been planned for Wednesday, was deferred at the request of Torres and the NHL Players' Association.

As a result of the hit, Hossa was carried off the ice on a stretcher, taken to hospital for tests and later released. He is expected to recover completely, but there is no timetable for his return.

Torres was not penalized on the play.

"It was a brutal hit," said Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville after the game.

He hasn't even had a hearing on the matter and has already been suspended indefinitely. I fully expect at least an eight game suspension based on the Wisniewski precedent for repeat offenders.

tolosenc wrote: »
    I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Dustin Brown's hit on Henrik. Intent to injure, and but for Henrik turning at the last second it could have been serious.

Completely different hit all together.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628445 - NHL Live

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=393507 - TSN

The National Hockey League's checklist for determining how many games a player will be suspended for under Rule 48 - or interference - will pretty much hit all the marks when the league looks at Raffi Torres' check on Marian Hossa in Tuesday's contest.

It was a late hit by league standards, and while the NHL does measure hits with their eyes in terms of a feel, they also measure it in terms of time and I'm sure this will be deemed a late hit.

Torres launched himself into Hossa. It was not a hit straight through the way that Dustin Brown hit Henrik Sedin in the Vancouver-LA game. There was a launch, and the principle point of contact was the head. In addition to that, there was a significant injury on the play and the player in question is somebody who has a history as a repeat offender.

Just before the playoffs began last April, Torres got a four-game suspension for his hit on Jordan Eberle. This season, he was fined $2,000 for elbowing Jan Hejda of the Colorado Avalanche in the head. Two days later, he was handed a two-game suspension for charging Minnesota Wild's Nate Prosser.

Torres has a checkered past and when they go through the criteria of Rule 48, he meets them all. He's going to be suspended, and I suspect it's going to be an in person hearing with a significant number.

Completely different hit all together.

I'm aware, but it was still over the line.

I'm aware, but it was still over the line.

Not in the least. That was the way the game is supposed to be played. Two completely different hits.

• Advertisement

Not in the least. That was the way the game is supposed to be played. Two completely different hits.

I'm inclined to agree, the Brown hit was ok in my book. The James Neal hit from Game 3 the other night was not, and he fully deserved the suspension for it. Puck was long gone, game was already out of control and it was completely cheap. His skates even left the ice.

Working early tomorrow so won't get to watch tonights game live, but have a feeling it will be one-way traffic and that will be that for the Pens post-season.

I'm not suggesting it should be a suspension, but the criticism that Torres got for his hit on Seabrook last year is the same level I would expect Brown to have gotten for that.

4-3 Pittsburgh after 1. I have no idea why either team is bothering with a goaltender.

I honestly don't know what to make of this Flyers Pens series. It's exciting for the neutral to watch, but for the management staff, they must be tearing their hair out. Great offence, but woeful defence.

The Pens seem unable to get any kind of foothold on their own play. Too many mistakes, looks like their confidence is totally shot.

After this series, will the flyers be overconfident, after crushing the Pens and scoring a hatful of goals.

Or should they be worried, that they will come up against someone with a good defence (Bruins, Rangers, Caps) and also able to take advantage of the Flyers terrible defensive problems.

suprise suprise, pens flyers game absolute mayhem again, flyers defense non existent, looks like it will go back to pittsburgh for at least 1 more game barring an absolute disaster, 8 3 pens now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

What is going on? Pittsburgh have had 28 shots and 8 goals!! This is crazy stuff, cant believe the amount of goals that there have been in this series. Still a 1 and a quarter periods left in this match too.

Edit. 9-3 now! They should blow this up now, embarassed as a casual Flyers fan.

Canucks to replicate the Pens please!

This is just insane. When's the last time anyone score double-digits in a playoff game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

10-3 now, double digits! Both goaltenders allowing five goals each. Some serious problems there.

Ridiculous result, can't wait to watch it!

I'm not suggesting it should be a suspension, but the criticism that Torres got for his hit on Seabrook last year is the same level I would expect Brown to have gotten for that.

Wow ....both of Torres's hits targeted the head.

Brown's hit was clean to the body. Completely different hits all together. Watch the video with the explanation.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628445 The explanation starts @1:05 of the video.

two pp goals for the nucks last night, and brown had penalty shot saved by schneider.... could this be the turning point?

looks like the trick to winning in that series is to have the least amount of sog, kings had 44 last night... still think they will take it because quick gives the kings the oppurtunity to win most of their games...

• Advertisement

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Iain+MacIntyre+Canucks+call+means+Cory+Schneider+goalie+Roberto+Luongo/6481176/story.html

Talk of Luongo being dropped fully and going on the trading block in the summer. Who would we be looking for? And who would be looking for him?

As for a turning point? I don't know. I fancy us to take Game 5, which would make Game 6 a bit do or die for LA. You never want to go from 3-0 to 3-3, particularly when G7 is on the road. I'm thinking LA in 6, though.

Schneider is immense, and the PP is a go (finally). No reason we can't win games. I think people make a lot out of a save on a penalty shot. I'd be expecting the goalie to come out on top most of the time. Take shootouts. 1-0 is far more common than 3-2 as an outcome.

But you're right, it is crazy. Canucks play better for the 1st 3 games and lose them all, then get outplayed in the 4th and win! Can't believe that G5 isn't till Sunday. That'll work in the Kings' favour, if anyone's.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Iain+MacIntyre+Canucks+call+means+Cory+Schneider+goalie+Roberto+Luongo/6481176/story.html

Talk of Luongo being dropped fully and going on the trading block in the summer. Who would we be looking for? And who would be looking for him?

There is no one that is going to take on that contract. The NHL has moved away from over-paying goalies (even the ones who win Stanley Cup Championships). If The Canucks are serious about moving his contract, he will most likely be sent down to play for their AHL affiliate in Chicago (Wolves). I just can't see any team picking up a player who is more known for his 'big losses' than any 'big wins'.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

1. I think Schneider should be the 'go to guy'. He is showing better form. Im not a Luongo basher but Luo had his chance in this series. Time for a change. Admittedly they have a hill to climb but step one is the right guy in net.

2. What a crazy series between the Pens and Flyers!! Very entertaining, soap opera on ice!

3. Torres was always that type of player. He's a head hunter. I loved to watch his style and physicality when he was a Canuck but he takes it too far too often. Wasnt he suspended twice last year!? Hits on Eberle and Seabrook if I remember right. Shanahan needs to send him a message.

There is no one that is going to take on that contract. The NHL has moved away from over-paying goalies (even the ones who win Stanley Cup Championships). If The Canucks are serious about moving his contract, he will most likely be sent down to play for their AHL affiliate in Chicago (Wolves). I just can't see any team picking up a player who is more known for his 'big losses' than any 'big wins'.

True. The problem is the contract. In general, I can only see the Islanders, Devils, Ducks, Hurricanes and Columbus as potential destinations.

The way I see it, we want a second line winger, a 4th line winger, and/or a defenseman. Best case scenario, realistically. is Rick Nash and a 1st round draft pick in 2013 or 2014.

He'll be staying in Vancouver though, IMO.

Crapbag wrote: »
    Hits on Eberle and Seabrook if I remember right. Shanahan needs to send him a message.

Wasn't suspended for the hit on Seabrook, but that was like his 1st game back after the Eberle hit. I do feel we miss his physicality.

True. The problem is the contract. In general, I can only see the Islanders, Devils, Ducks, Hurricanes and Columbus as potential destinations.

The way I see it, we want a second line winger, a 4th line winger, and/or a defenseman. Best case scenario, realistically. is Rick Nash and a 1st round draft pick in 2013 or 2014.

He'll be staying in Vancouver though, IMO.

The Islanders are already saddled with one disastrous goaltender contract - Rick Dipietro. I don't see them doing that again.

Devils still have Martin Brodeur. Granted he is getting up in age, but he continues to perform at a very high level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing for a few more years. That being said, New Jersey is also up against the salary cap as it is.

Ducks have Hiller for the next few years and are up against the salary cap

Carolina has one of the top goalies in the NHL in Cam Ward. He also has a Stanley Cup ring. He is not going anywhere as he and Eric Staal are the faces of the franchise.

Columbus might be a destination in theory, because it is the worst run organization in all of sports. That being said, Luongo has a no-trade clause, so you can scratch The Blue Jackets off of his list.

Luongo is going to want to move to a team where he will have an opportunity to win. The problem is that I don't see any real contenders wanting him with his tendency to self destruct when the chips are down.

As for 'getting anything for Luongo', you are light years away from his worth on the trade market. A player like Luongo is going to 'cost you' to trade. You are going to take back a bad contract as well as probably give up draft picks/prospects just to move him. You will never get a player of the calibre of Rick Nash for Luongo. It's never going to happen.

Bruins v Caps, game 4 tonight, can't wait till game time. Hope it's gonna be another intense physical game, been a great series so far and really hoping we can head back to Beantown with a 2 game advantage 💪

Bruins v Caps, game 4 tonight, can't wait till game time. Hope it's gonna be another intense physical game, been a great series so far and really hoping we can head back to Beantown with a 2 game advantage 💪

Will probably give that one a watch tonight too.

with backstrom suspended for 1 for game for the cross check at the end of the last game, good chance for bruins coz hes a big miss for the caps...

all games tonight are massive coz it will be either 3 1 or 2 2 after tonights games... none of the home teams will want to lose tonight coz it will leave them requiring a win in game 5... be hard to go to bed tonight!!!

• Advertisement

Game five of the Pens-Flyers fiasco tonight, not even going to bother trying to call this one.

Some of the more ridiculous stats so far:
    • Fleury GAA: 5.43, Sv%: .817 (had the second highest total of goals against after three playoff games in NHL history, 17)
    • Johnson GAA: 6.00, Sv%: .667
    • Bryzgalov GAA: 4.95, Sv%: .844
    • Bobrovsky GAA: 8.11, Sv%: .722
    • Total goals against: 44 / Total saves: 198 (Sv% 0.818)
    • Matt Read is 2 for 3 (66.7 percent), Danny Briere is 4 for 7 (57.1 percent), Jordan Staal is 5 for 10 (50 percent), Max Talbot is 3 for 6 (50 percent).
    • Most goals after four games of a series in NHL history.
    • In all four games, the team that has scored first has lost.
    • In all four games, there has been a goal in the first four minutes.
    • There have been 20 first period goals in the first four games, an average of 5 per game. Pittsburgh have as many first period goals as Ottawa, San Jose, Boston, Vancouver, Phoenix, Nashville, Detroit and Washington combined.
    • The series has produced 282 penalty minutes in four games, an average of over 70 per game.
    • Game 1: 4 minor penalties. Game 2: 8 minor penalties. Game 3: 24 minor penalties. Game 5: 20 minor penalties
    • A total of 55 minor penalties, 6 majors, 1 bench minor, 9 misconducts, 4 game misconducts, 1 match penalty,
    • The Flyers have scored at least one power-play goal in the first four games of the series and have collected 9 power-play goals on just 15 opportunities
    • The Penguins PK stands at 40%, the Flyers at 66.7%. The Flyers have also scored 3 SHG, with Max Talbot scoring two and assisting on the other.

It really is one of the craziest playoff matchups ever.

Advertisement