Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hondasam wrote: »
    What will happen if we still refuse to pay regardless of people calling to the door or penalties?

they send Mr T. round, and then you meet his friend PAIN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What will happen if we still refuse to pay regardless of people calling to the door or penalties?

My guess? They'll just accumulate late penalties and taxes onto your property until you come to sell - at which point the due amount will be payable if you want to complete the sale. That's how I'd run it if I was asked. No idea what they'll do, but they'll do something to ensure they get the dosh they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

they send Mr T. round, and then you meet his friend PAIN!!!

Ya but he also has to meet me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    My guess? They'll just accumulate late penalties and taxes onto your property until you come to sell - at which point the due amount will be payable if you want to seek the gaff. That's how I'd run it if I was asked. No idea what they'll do, but do something to ensure they get the dosh they will.

Meanwhile a couple of general elections will have passed......... with manys the candidate willing to cede on issues.
    It will end up "nothing added but time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

mikom wrote: »
    *Lols at luiddite that has never heard of a smart phone*

Save up your household charge and buy one buddy.

Maybe you should give up your smart phone and pay your taxes

• Advertisement

My guess? They'll just accumulate late penalties and taxes onto your property until you come to sell - at which point the due amount will be payable if you want to complete the sale. That's how I'd run it if I was asked. No idea what they'll do, but do something to ensure they get the dosh they will.

I think it is one big headache for them and one that will not go away as easily as they had hoped. With all that we have taken I suppose they had not anticipated the backlash this has created for them.
    I know they will put penalties on the house and for me it's not a problem as I will not be selling but that's not to say it will not cause problems down the road.

mikom wrote: »
    Meanwhile a couple of general elections will have passed......... with manys the candidate willing to cede on issues.
    It will end up "nothing added but time".

Believe me - we've moved on from the reliance on stamp duty era - property tax is part of our new reality. Wishin' and hopin' won't change the hard facts of the matter.

I think it is one big headache for them and one that will not go away as easily as they had hoped. With all that we have taken I suppose they had not anticipated the backlash this has created for them.
    I know they will put penalties on the house and for me it's not a problem as I will not be selling but that's not to say it will not cause problems down the road.

If you think you can evade your taxes on something as immobile and obvious as your house, you'll have problems down the road alright. Put it this way - every other nation has property taxes, and they seem to be able to enforce payments - no different here.

Why should my taxes be spent on enforcing the law, people have to pay their taxes, so pay up.

Its a joke that anyone would take claim the moral high ground on this by not paying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

80% of those eligible for the charge still unaccounted for
    -RTE

That sounds rather sinister; I guess what they mean is "haven't registered".

Weird Al is still here! It was a glorious sunny day Al, you really should get out more, meet people, talk s***e to them - instead of wasting it all in here.

What are they payin' ya to post here day and night? (Whatever it is, it's too much :cool:)

So the no-tax folk got 3,000 at an event that was organized for 2,000. That's good, but personally I'm waiting for the riots against this illegitimate "tax".

• Advertisement

If you think you can evade your taxes on something as immobile and obvious as your house, you'll have problems down the road alright. Put it this way - every other nation has property taxes, and they seem to be able to enforce payments - no different here.

I'm not against paying my fair share, I am against paying for others. This property tax should be paid by everyone with no exceptions, we will all use the amenities they tell us it's paying for.
    If I pay this will I still have to pay bin charges, water charges, septic tank charge and any other charge they decide to throw at me?

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Why should my taxes be spent on enforcing the law, people have to pay their taxes, so pay up.

Its a joke that anyone would take claim the moral high ground on this by not paying

You are paying then, do we not have the same right to object to the payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is there an echo in here?

You have not once mentioned or discussed the obscene waste of tax payers money by both government and local government. Yet you have no problem giving these monkies more of your money to waste without first seeing genuine improvements from top to bottom.

Are you involved in a polictial party or government body?

You are paying then, do we not have the same right to object to the payment?

I object to income tax but i dont expect sympathy if i dont pay it.

You cant pick and choose what you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I love the way they are continuing with their bully boy tactics. "We'll send the boys around knocking on doors" :P.
    that'll be some craic.

Its hardly bully boy to chase tax evaders.

local council workers are hardly bully boys

Obviously there will be quite a few muppets who will enjoy giving them stick for doing their day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

FM104 poll? It's not like any of the listeners of that show will to pay anyway since they are all on the dole.

Chucky, whats your excuse for the audience of the Late Late show?? with the same results they must be all on the dole also hey??

I object to income tax but i dont expect sympathy if i dont pay it.

You cant pick and choose what you pay.

I can pick and choose what I pay, it's my money.

I can pick and choose what I pay, it's my money.

Em ......no ...........not quite.

Unless taxes are now voluntary

Obviously there will be quite a few muppets who will enjoy giving them stick for doing their day job.

It is bully boy tactics having people knock on your door looking for money.
    It's not the job of local council workers to knock on peoples door collecting tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've been hit with a 500euro bill with this between my home and the flats that I rent. I'll pay it, this country is fcuked and I'll do my part to pull us out of it.

Well you do have to chose to work in order to pay. Or you could decide never to work and live of social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

No doubt there will be junkets offered to them to learn how to enforce 'nicely'. The junket will take place in (insert warm Mediterreanean resort here)

It is a farce of a charge. Meanwhile, I pay exhorbitant VAT on petrol to go to work 50 miles each way every day to pay a mortgage and pay the government. Jail terms WILL be the obvious evolution to mass non compliance on this, guaranteed.

As it stands at the moment it's my choice not to register, therefore I will not be paying, unless they can take it from my wages I will not be paying voluntarily.

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Are you involved in a polictial party or government body?

No. Just don't share your opinion.

I've been hit with a 500euro bill with this between my home and the flats that I rent. I'll pay it, this country is fcuked and I'll do my part to pull us out of it.

You are great, I suppose you will pass the charge for the flats on to the tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

actually you're wrong.

The majority of the population have chosen not to register, nor to pay this charge.
    Then again, that's what it is, a 'charge' as the property 'tax' isn't in place yet.

Don't pay it? What they gonna do?

Oh, they might well threaten to tag charges to your property, but for how long?

Do you really think FG/labor will be in govt after the next elections:rolleyes:

And it's a certainty that the next potential govt will have a mandate promising to abolish this sham charge and a all the crap that goes with it.

And I again repeat, I'm exempt from it this year!

No. Just don't share your opinion.

So your happy with the waste? Jez it's like pulling teeth. Are you happy with the waste and you think these people will look after your taxes well?

It's not the job of local council workers to knock on peoples door collecting tax.

Well it is if the people who should pay up are slow in doing so.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    So your happy with the waste? Jez it's like pulling teeth. Are you happy with the waste and you think these people will look after your taxes well?

Who do you think is going to claim to be happy with waste? Just asking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement