Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Garda Uniform

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

tosh65 wrote: »
    also..did any member have an input or asked how their uniform or kit, could be improved..?? any thoughts..???

I dont think there any type of input from frontline members tbh. Thats why we have a hi-viz that was highly visible in daylight only, asp holders that almost require you to pull the asp with both hands, bomber jackets that are waterproof so long as you didn't go out in the rain and 1.4l patrol cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

When do you get your slippers?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

Got fitted yesterday. Was impressed with the greatcoat. I think the reason it is replacing the tunic is because there is plenty of growing room in the greatcoat unlike the tunic! The new patrol jacket is not bad. The fleece has a draw string at the end of it so we will still be able to keep it up by the waist like the current fleece. The gloves I was told are anti stab but not anti needle prick. The new hig viz is fully waterproof and a little heavier than the current one. There are also new waterproof leggings which I am doubtful of how waterproof they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Not sure if anyone mentioned them but... Pants? Any word of decent pair of pants with a few more practical pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

the locust wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone mentioned them but... Pants? Any word of decent pair of pants with a few more practical pockets?

Pants are exactly the same :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

You could say that the Pants are PANTS :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

ARGH! Of all the pieces of kit i was hoping the pants & stab vest/rig would change the most... oh well, maybe 5 years later...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

With all the talk here of people buying their own bits and pieces for the job, can you not get your own pair of combats to wear while on duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Holsten wrote: »
    With all the talk here of people buying their own bits and pieces for the job, can you not get your own pair of combats to wear while on duty?

Members who wear the official bicycle uniform (with multi pocket trousers) have been pulled for wearing that when they're detailed for the car.

So to answer your question..wearing combats would be a big no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Lads is this the new style Hi-Viz?

3179879796_662e50cc76_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Jay112 wrote: »
    Lads is this the new style Hi-Viz?

3179879796_662e50cc76_b.jpg

The guy on the left is wearing a freeflow high vis which I think is more or less the newest version. The girl on the right is wearing what we all currently have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Great stuff thanks, when are we getting issued them do we know yet? getting fitted in the next couple or weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

Does anyone know are we been issued with Boots and if so are they the HAIX ones or the Jollie ones..

I'd be surprised if we went back to the Jollies..What horrible boots.

Also - did anyone notice that the stab vest given for fitting appeared to be much easier to wear/less bulky? The XL vest I had on for fitting made my current issue feel like an XXXL.

Yes. There is such a thing as triple X L!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Though not a member. I have worn the uniform on a number of occasions.....Now don't bother warning me of the penalties for impersonating a Garda. It's for TV and film work as an extra. Indeed this week coming I will again don the uniform for a TV moment. I'm a bit typecast as a Garda and sometimes wonder if I missed my calling:D;)

On the point of uniforms therefore I can empathise with some of the complaints. I never found any of the trousers comfortable, often they are the genuine article. But the item I never really liked is the shirt, neither it's look or feel. If anything is due for replacement it should be the shirt perhaps with a darker version or more comfortable version. I always think they look a bit scruffy. What does the average Garda think of the shirts?

If you don't like the current uniform be glad you didn't have to wear the seventies version. I once spent the day dressed as a 1970s Garda Sergeant mostly in the RTE canteen. Very uncomfortable, almost as uncomfortable was the number of well known TV faces staring at me. Grainne Seoige stared at me. OK that wasn't too bad. The best moment came when two genuine Guards walked in. They didn't know what to make of me. But what struck me was how different the current uniform and equipment is to what it was like in the past.

The only place I've seen a fairly decent portrayal of Guards is The Clinic. Every other program either has Pat Short or one of his equals portraying us. Mind my asking what programs you've donned the uniform in? :D

As for the shirts - They're getting better. They're darker on the current uniform than they were in the last one however this causes a contrast issue when worn with the stab vest..but that's easily remedied when adding the fleece to the mix.

Does anyone know are we been issued with Boots and if so are they the HAIX ones or the Jollie ones..

oh god those jollies were terrible. I have never worn anything like them

I'd be surprised if we went back to the Jollies..What horrible boots.

Also - did anyone notice that the stab vest given for fitting appeared to be much easier to wear/less bulky? The XL vest I had on for fitting made my current issue feel like an XXXL.

Yes. There is such a thing as triple X L!

We are getting new vests? is the vest the same but just a different cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

TheNog wrote: »

NO new Vests, NO new covers.

The Minister isn't paying for you to have two vests :)

If only! It was an observation when being fitted the other day. Possibly the fact that mine has gotten so flimsy and bloated that I wonder how it could take a spoon never mind a knife!

You know. They're so old. We've had them for what..a year? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

oh god those jollies were terrible. I have never worn anything like them
    They were like "special" shoes, weren't they?

• Advertisement

deadwood wrote: »
    They were like "special" shoes, weren't they?

for special people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I always think they look a bit scruffy.

Thank you! I have always said that, the colour reminds me of some dirty looking thing, why is it nor a solid blue instead of this blue with white mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

Ya, but was there any mention of been issued with new boots, or was it just uniform clothes you were measured for..I like the HAIX ones, although the Jollies are easier to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

No mention of any new boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

shine???? if they're not dirty you're not working. That's what i was told my first day by the super.

foinse wrote: »
    shine???? if they're not dirty you're not working. That's what i was told my first day by the super.
    Same with the trousers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

there seems to be big support for combats amongst the gardai on here, so whats the reason, is there need for more pockets? or would better quality trousers be good enough?

shakin wrote: »
    there seems to be big support for combats amongst the gardai on here, so whats the reason, is there need for more pockets? or would better quality trousers be good enough?
    I think it's for practicality reasons.

Personally, i'm not too bothered about getting combat style trousers, but a more "canvass" type material with a wider waistband to accomodate the utility belt would suffice.

The uniform seems to be bought by appointing a committeeeeeeeee for each part to deliberate over a few years, who don't consult each other.Then some chiefs will decide which is the most cool and down with the kids and then buy the cheapest.

The "bomber" style jacket (modelled on Deadwoods ground-breaking confirmation suit in the early 80's) and the Farah shlacks have nothing to do with each other.

The shirt is made from recycled round-bale wrappers and they insist on giing me long-sleeved ones even though I never wear them.

The tie/napkin has a snazzy garda logo embroidered on it for no good reason - I liked the old one.

The boots are not meant to be polished and look scruffy. Again, they have nothing to do with the slacks - they would suit combat style. (It's a bit like wearing shoes with a tracksuit)

The hat's fine. If I wanted a baseball cap, i'll buy a Citroen Saxo.

So yes, combats, erm... sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Bring back the original pants i say especially the winter pants.... the new "equivalent" ones are rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 treker

ScubaDave wrote: »
    Hey All,

New patrol jacket - longer by about 8 inches with no elaticated base. A pullstring is in the jacket about navel level.

Dave

Does the utility belt need go over the middle of the new jacket now?

Advertisement