Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spraying female cat

• 14-01-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hello all. I googled this but encountered either vague opinion or vague enough 'facts'

I have 2 cats and am having a wee (ha!) problem. My almost 6 year old (how time flies) female spayed cat has started spraying everything randomly around the house: coats, bags, washing basket, under the bed etc. she was spayed at 6 months old. I wonder if anyone has insight into why she might be doing it and suggestions for stopping it?

My other cat is nearly 16 (also female). Never displayed this behaviour. I didn't know females sprayed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hi there! Is there anything that could be upsetting her? A new cat in the area, new furniture, moving stuff around? She could be trying to reassure herself that this is her terratory by spraying it! My neutered female sprays too, she will walk around the perimeter of our garden and spray every 20 feet or so! She's never done it inside though.

Also, how is she other than the spraying? Have you noticed anything unusual like her drinking more or have her eating habits trained? Has she had any accidents (other than the spraying!) outside of the litter box? She could have something like a urinary tract infection, if she does she'll need to go to the vet for an antibiotic!

My little fella started spraying around the house last week which is completely unusual for him, but it turned out he was constipated and once he finally pooed he stopped spraying, I'd say he was just looking for attention because of being uncomfortable!

Hope I've been some help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Hi thanks for the reply.
    She always does her business in the garden not the tray.
    I haven't noticed any changes she's very healthy but I'll keep an eye on her.
    No new cats outside. There's always been several local cats around....

My older cat has had accidents around the house - of the poo variety but has had that a few months

Advertisement