Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Geography - Moving Plates

The earth's crust is vidided into seven plates:

- The Eurasian Plate
    - The African Plate
    - The American Plate
    - The Nazca Plate
    - The Pacific Plate
    - The Australian Plate
    - The Antarctic Plate

The areas where plates separate, collide, or slide past each other are called plate boundaries.
    Plates float on the semi-molten rock of the mantle.
    Where plates slide past each other earthquakes may occur.
    Where plates collide, fold mountains are formed, and earthquakes may occur.
    Where plates separate, volcanic material rises up from the mountain to form volcanic islands, volcanic island and mid-ocean ridges.
    Volcanos can also occur in these regions.

Fold Mountains

When plates collide compression occurs. This causes the earths crust to buckle slowly and arch upwards, forming fold mountains.
    Irelands fold mountains, the Macgillycuddy Reeks were formed during the Armorican folding, 250 million years ago.
    As they were formed so long ago, they have worn down and are not as high anymore.

The Alps, the Andes, the Rockys and the Himalayas are the highest fold mountains and they were formed during the Alpine folding 35 million years ago.

Earthquakes

- Take place most commonly where plates collide or slip past each other. Compression causes the rock beneath the surface to bend and crack.

- When this happens shock waves spread out from the focus, the place where the cracks occur beneath the earths surface.

- The earthquake is usually strongest at the epicentre, the surface area directly above the focus.

- An instrument called a seismograph is used to measure the strenght of earthquakes in the Richter scale.

(stolen image to explain better.) Epicenter_diagram.gif

Volcanic Activity

- Beneath the earths surface is a hot liquid called magma.

-When it reaches the surface, it cools and hardens, then called lava.

- When lava pours onto the earths surface, it can build up into ridges, eg, the mid-Atlantic ridge.

- When lava forces its way violently through a hole called a bent, a volcanic mountain is formed.

The Mid-Atlantic Ridge

- A narrow chain of mountains in the Atlantic Ocean is called the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

- It runs north-south with some of its peaks rising above the sea to form volcanic islands.

- It lies along a zone where the American and African/Eurasian crustal plates are slowly moving away from each other.

(yet again, stolen.) fig62.gif

I saw this, and planned to write out my notes on An Reoiteoig Mharfach. I left all my books in school, go me. Have some 1st year Geog instead. I wrote these out myself, but theres no saying that my teacher didn't copy them straight from the book. :rolleyes:

Economic Activities (Geog)

PRIMARY ACTIVITIES
    - In which people obtain natural resources from the land or sea, EG, farming, fishing, forestry and mining.

SECONDARY ACTIVITIES
    - Are those in which people process or manufacture products.
    ALL manufacturing industries are secondary activities.

TERTIARY ACTIVITIES
    - Provide useful services EG, tourism, transport.
    - People working in tertiary activities or 3rd level include teachers, truck drivers, shop keepers, hair dressers and travel agents.

Rocks

- Igneous rocks are formed when hot molten volcanic material cools down and becomes solid on or below the earths surface. Basalt, Granite.
    - Sedimentary rocks are formed from the compressed remains of fish, animals, plants and other rock sediments. Limestone, Sandstone.
    - Metamorphic rocks are formed when igneous or sedimentary rocks are changed by great heat and pressure. Marble, Quartzite, Gineiss and Schist.

Weathering

- Is the break down of rock exposed to the forces of weather, eg, frost, rain, sun.
    - 2 types of weathering - chemical and mechanical.
    - Erosion is the breakdown, transportation and deposition of rock.
    - Rivers, sea, ice and wind are agents of erosion.
    - Pieces of rock that are broken off by freeze-thaw action are called scree.
    - Karst landscape is another name for a limestone area.
    - Stalagmites (up) and stalactites (down) are underground features formed by chemical action in limestone areas.
    - Clints, grikes and swallow-holes are examples of overground features formed by chemical action in limestone areas.

Random bits of maths

SIMILAR TRIANGLES:
    Triangles_equiangular_triangles.gif
    The 3 angles in ▲abc are equal to the 3 in ▲pqr, ie, they are EQUIANGULAR or SIMILAR. But NOT congruent.

To prove they are similar, it is enough to prove that the 2 angles in 1 ▲ = 2 angles in another ▲, as the other pair of angles must be equal.

If two ▲ are similar, then the lenghts of their corresponding sides are in the same proportion.

2qkphk0.jpg

PYTHAGORAS THEOREM:

220px-Trigonometry_triangle.svg.png

This states that the square on the hypontenus is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides.

(h)² = (a)² = (b)²
    h² = a² + b²

Where the hypotenus is the longest side in the right angled triangle, ie, the side opposite the right angle.

AREA FORMULAS: (so very important to know these, even just for life.) Pi = 3.14 or 22/7.
    Parallelogram: base x perpendicular height
    Square: (lenght)²
    Rectangle: lenght x base
    Circle: (pi x radius)²
    Sector of a circle: (figure)/360(pi)(radius)²
    Triangle: 1/2 base x height

PERIMETER FORUMLAS:
    Rectangle: 2(lenght) + 2(base) = 2 (lenght + base)
    Square = 4(lenght)
    Circle circumference: 2(pi)(radius)
    Lenght of an arc: (figure)/360 x 2(pi)(radius)

VOLUME FORMULAS:
    Cuboid: (lenght)(breadth)(height)
    Cube: (lenght)³
    Cylinder: (pi)(radius)²(height)
    Sphere: 4/3(pi)(radius)³
    Hemisphere: 2/3(pi)(radius)³
    Cone: 1/3(pi)(radius)²(height)

SURFACE AREA:
    Cuboid: 2(lenght)(breadth)+2(lenght)(height)+2(breadth)(height)
    Cube: 6(lenght)²
    Cylinder: (CURVED)= 2(pi)(radius)(height), (TOTAL) = 2(pi)(radius)(height) + 2(pi)(radius)²
    Sphere: 2(pie)(radius)²
    Hemisphere: (CURVED) = 2(pi)(radius)², (TOTAL) = 2(pi)(radius)²+(pie)(radius)² = 3(pie)(radius)²
    Cone: (CURVED) = (pi)(radius)(slant height), (TOTAL) = (pi)(radius)(slant height) + (pi)(radius)², (PYTHAGORAS THEOREM) = (slant height)² = (radius)² + (height)²

TRIGONOMETRY:

Sin (degree) = opposite/hypotenuse
    Cos (degree) = adjacent/hypotenuse
    Tan (degree) = opposite/adjacent

A handy rhyme:
    57a1k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FluffyDelusion

Results of World War 1

- Early in 1919, the leaders of the victorious Allies met at Paris to put together a peace settlement.

Country
    Leader
    Britain David Lloyd George
    France Georges Clemenceau
    USA Woodrow Wilson
    Italy Vittorio Orlando

- Woodrow Wilson proposed the Fourteen Point Plan
    - "self-determination" means that countries are allowed to rule themselves and not be under foreign control.
    - The Treaty of Versailles dealt with Germany after WW1 - it was...
    *harsh
    *imposed on them
    *a treaty of punishment

- The treaty stated that:

LAND
    Germany lost:
    *The Polish Corridor (to Poland)
    * Alsace-Lorraine (to France)
    * All their African colonies
    *The provinces of Posen and Silesia (to Poland)
    *Saar Coalfields (to France for 15 years)

ARMED FORCES
    To prevent future war..
    * The German army was limited to 100,000 men
    * Could have NO airforce
    * NO tanks
    * NO submarines
    * 24 warships
    * were forbidden to station troops in the Rhineland for possible attack to France.

REPARATIONS
    Germany had to pay £6,600 million compensation to the Allies which is equal to approx. €8,380 million today.

THE WAR GUILT CLAUSE
    Germany was blamed for starting the war and the Germans were angry at this and did not believe that they deserved this blame.

ALSO
    Germany was forbidden to form an alliance with Austria (Anschluss)

Hope this helps someone!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

Results of World War 1

- Early in 1919, the leaders of the victorious Allies met at Paris to put together a peace settlement.

Country
    Leader
    Britain David Lloyd George
    France Georges Clemenceau
    USA Woodrow Wilson
    Italy Vittorio Orlando

- Woodrow Wilson proposed the Fourteen Point Plan
    - "self-determination" means that countries are allowed to rule themselves and not be under foreign control.
    - The Treaty of Versailles dealt with Germany after WW1 - it was...
    *harsh
    *imposed on them
    *a treaty of punishment

- The treaty stated that:

LAND
    Germany lost:
    *The Polish Corridor (to Poland)
    * Alsace-Lorraine (to France)
    * All their African colonies
    *The provinces of Posen and Silesia (to Poland)
    *Saar Coalfields (to France for 15 years)

ARMED FORCES
    To prevent future war..
    * The German army was limited to 100,000 men
    * Could have NO airforce
    * NO tanks
    * NO submarines
    * 24 warships
    * were forbidden to station troops in the Rhineland for possible attack to France.

REPARATIONS
    Germany had to pay £6,600 million compensation to the Allies which is equal to approx. €8,380 million today.

THE WAR GUILT CLAUSE
    Germany was blamed for starting the war and the Germans were angry at this and did not believe that they deserved this blame.

ALSO
    Germany was forbidden to form an alliance with Austria (Anschluss)

Hope this helps someone!!! :D:D

This is on my little brother's exam next week. Thanks;)

The Merchant of Venice

WHY DOES ANTONIO MAKE SHYLOCK A CHRISTIAN?

Antonio makes Shylock a Christian because it is the perfect revenge. Not only is he taking away a huge part of Shylock's identity, his religion, but he also takes away Shylock's ability to make money, as only Jews can charge interest.

If you are on Shylock's side:
    - This is out of spite
    - We have lots of evidence in the play to show us that Antonio hates Shylock
    - He doesn't even see him as human (a cur - a dog)

If you are on Antonio's side:
    - Because he is so kind he wants to save Shylock's soul (Jews are the devil)

WHY DOES ANTONIO HATE SHYLOCK?
    - Shylock is a Jew
    - He charges interest on loans (usury, against the Christian religion)
    - He only cares for himself - selfish
    - He is cheap (cares too much about money)
    - Lorenzo would have told Antonio about Shylock's treatment of his daughter

WHY DOES SHYLOCK HATE ANTONIO?
    - He's a Christian
    - Antonio mocks him (Shylocks soliloquy - "and he rails, even where merchants most do congregate.")
    - Doesn't charge interest - takes away his business
    - Mocks his profits (refer to text)
    - Brings down the rate of usance in Venice with her interest free loans
    - Shylock believes he helped with Jessicas elopment
    - Gave Shylock a bad reputation
    - Calls him a cut-throat dog and treats him like one
    - Makes his enemies hate him more (fuels my enemies - refer to text)

CHARACTER SKETCH OF SHYLOCK

Shylock comes across as a vengeful person. He hates Antonio for being a Christian as he is a Jew - "I hate him for he is a Christian,".
    He also hates him because he takes away Shylocks business by offering interest free loans - "he lends out money gratis and brings down the rate of usance here with us in Venice,".
    He is very revengeful and mean in the trial scene. He refuses to take thrice the money (9,000 ducats), instead wanting a pound of Antonios flesh. He refuses to show mercy. In the end, his hatred is the undoing of him as he looses everything.

SUPPORT FOR SHYLOCK

You feel sorry for him for the abuse he gets just because of his religion. When his daughter took his money and left, selling the ring his dead wife Leah gave him.
    When he has to convert to Christianity and give up all his possessions.
    Antonio physically abuses him - spitting and kicking. "you call me a misbeliever, a cut throat dog and spit upon my Jewish gaberdine."

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AppleTree99

I did my Junior Cert last year and here's two mini-essays I wrote on the theme of love and the theme of death in the novel Dunmharu ar an Dart. Sorry if there are any typos/grammatical errors.Hopefully this will help somebody anyway :)

Grá – Love

(i) Rinne mé staidéar ar Dúnmharú ar an Dart le Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle i rith mo chúrsa. Feicimid an t-ábhar ‘grá’ san úrscéal seo.

(ii )Taispeántar an téama ‘grá’ go soléir ó thús an úrscéal. Tá grá le feicéail idir an príomhcarachtéir Niall, agus a bhean Máire.
    Ar an gcéad dul síos, i dtosach an scéal, feicimid an grá atá ag Máire do Niall. Is duine grámhar í Máire – cé go bhfuil sí cinnte go bhfuil a fear céile ag dul as a mheabhair nuair a thosaíonn sé ag pacáil chun dul chuig an Ghréig, aontaíonn sí chun dul leis ar aon nós. Áfach, mothaíonn sí buartha faoi a fear dil agus teastaíonn uaithi cabhrú dochtúir a fháil. Tá a croí istigh ann. Go mífhortúnach, íocfaidh sí go daor as a grá - lena saol féin.
    Ina theannta sin, tá neart grá ag Niall dá bhean freisin. Ar an drochuair, an am a feiceann muid é seo is soiléire sa leabhar ná an uair a faigheann sí bás. Nuair a sroicheann sé ar ais ó Zurich, agus nuair a feiceann sé Máire ina luí ar an urlár, marbh, tá a chroí briste. Tosaíonn sé ag caoineadh, luíonn sé in aice léi agus tógann sé a lámh ina lámh. Feictear a ghrá di sa nóiméad brónach, rómánsach seo. Ar ndóigh, tagann an taispeántas grá seo i bhfad ró-dhéanach.
    Nuair a chuireann muid na pointí thuas le chéile, tá sé éasca dúinn chun an téama ‘grá’ a fheicéail . Is léir go bhfuil téama tábhachtach é sa leabhar ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

English translation:
    (i) I studied ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’ by Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle during my course. We see the subject of love in this novel.

(ii)The theme of love is shown clearly from the start of this novel. There is love to be seen between the main character Niall, and his wife Máire.
    Firstly, at the start of the story, we see the love that Máire has for Niall. Máire is a loving person – even though she thinks that her husband is gone crazy/out of his mind when he starts packing to go to Greece, she agrees to go with him anyway. However, she does feel worried about her beloved husband and wants to get doctor’s help for him. She cares for him very much. Unfortunately, she will pay dearly for her love for him - with her own life.
    Also, Niall loves his wife very much too. Unfortunately, the time we see this most clearly is the hour of her death. When he returns from Zurich and sees Máire lying in the floor dead, his heart is broken. He starts to cry, lies on the floor beside her and takes her hand in his. His love for her is to be seen in this sad, romantic moment. Of course, this display of love comes much too late.
    When we put the above points together, it’s easy for us to see the theme of love. It’s clear that love is an important theme in the book ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

Bás – Death

(i) Rinne me staidéar ar ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’ le Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle i rith mo chúrsa. Feicimid an t-ábhar ‘ bás’ san úrscéal seo.

(ii) Feictear ‘Bás’ ó thus go deireadh an scéal. Is téama athfhilleadh é sa leabhar.
    I dtús báire, i dtosach an scéal, tarlaíonn bás Gerrit ar an Dart. Suíonn sé in aice le Niall agus ceapann Niall go bhfuil sé ina chodladh. Áfach, nuair a thiteann sé ar an dtalamh, is léir go bhfuil an fear bocht marbh! Faigheann muid amach níos déanaí sa scéal gur mharigh a dheartháir, Jan, é. Is eachtra tábhachtach é – tosaíonn an bás seo na eachtraí a athraíodh saol Niall go deo.
    Ansin, tagann bás Máire. Maraítear í go brúdiúil ar mhaithe le hairgead Jan. Tagann Niall ar ais ó Zurich go dtí an óstán agus níor creideann sé a shúile nuair a feiceann sé a bhean ina luí ar an urlár, a dhá láimh sínte amach taobh léi is a cuid gruaige fliuch lena fuil. D’íoc Máire go daor as a dílseacht do Niall, d’íoc sí lena beatha féin.
    Is é an bás deireanach ná bás Jan. Maraíonn Miriam é ag an ionad dumpála. Ag an am sin, bhí Jan ar tí Niall a mharú – cúpla soicind eile agus bheadh Niall marbh freisin. Níl splanc trua ag an léitheoir do Jan nuair a maraítear é mar ba drochfear ceart é. Is é an t-aon bás san úrscéal a chuireann áthas orainn.
    Tá sé soléir go bhfuil téama tábhachtach é ‘Bás’ agus is é ceann amháin de na príomhtéamaí sa leabhar ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

English Translation:
    (i) I studied ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’ by Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle during my course. We see the subject of ‘death’ in this novel.
    (ii) The theme of ‘death is seen from the start to the end of the story. It is a recurring theme in the book.
    First of all, at the beginnning of the story, Gerrit’s death happens on the Dart. He sits next to Niall and Niall thinks that he is asleep. However, when he falls on the ground, it’s clear that the poor man is dead! We find out later in the story that his brother, Jan, killed him. This is an important event – this death begins the events that would change Niall’s life forever.
    Then comes Máire’s death. She is killed brutally for the sake of Jan’s money. Niall comes back from Zurich to the hotel and he doesn’t believe his eyes when he sees his wife lying on the floor, her two hands stretched out beside her and her hair wet with her blood. Máire paid dearly for her love for Niall, she paid with her own life.
    The last death in the story is Jan’s death. Miriam kills him at the dump. At that time, Jan had been about to kill Niall – another couple of seconds and Niall would have been dead too. The reader has not a bit of pity for Jan when he is killed because he was a bad man through and through. It is the one death in the novel that pleases us.
    It’s clear that death is an important theme and is one of the main themes in the book ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Hey does anyone have History notes in Irish for:

A serf living in a manor
    A knight in medievial times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This thread is seriously useful. I just spent the last half hour or so reading through the posts and picking out the most useful ones for study this weekend. It'll be a huge help for Mocks in five weeks or so. Thanks :') I don't have any notes to post atm, but I'll try figure something useful to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

TRIGONOMETRY:

Sin (degree) = opposite/hypotenuse
    Cos (degree) = adjacent/hypotenuse
    Tan (degree) = opposite/adjacent

A handy rhyme:
    57a1k.jpg

Another rhyme I used to remember this is Two Old Angels Sitting On High Chatting About Heaven. They're all the same really, it's just whatever one works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Conchir wrote: »
    Another rhyme I used to remember this is Two Old Angels Sitting On High Chatting About Heaven. They're all the same really, it's just whatever one works best for you.
    There is also, SohCahToa.

But the one I use myself:
    "Senior Cup Team" for order purposes, then "Oh hell, another hour of algebra" for the actual fractions. That's the one that always stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I did my Junior Cert last year and here's two mini-essays I wrote on the theme of love and the theme of death in the novel Dunmharu ar an Dart. Sorry if there are any typos/grammatical errors.Hopefully this will help somebody anyway :)

Grá – Love

(i) Rinne mé staidéar ar Dúnmharú ar an Dart le Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle i rith mo chúrsa. Feicimid an t-ábhar ‘grá’ san úrscéal seo.

(ii )Taispeántar an téama ‘grá’ go soléir ó thús an úrscéal. Tá grá le feicéail idir an príomhcarachtéir Niall, agus a bhean Máire.
    Ar an gcéad dul síos, i dtosach an scéal, feicimid an grá atá ag Máire do Niall. Is duine grámhar í Máire – cé go bhfuil sí cinnte go bhfuil a fear céile ag dul as a mheabhair nuair a thosaíonn sé ag pacáil chun dul chuig an Ghréig, aontaíonn sí chun dul leis ar aon nós. Áfach, mothaíonn sí buartha faoi a fear dil agus teastaíonn uaithi cabhrú dochtúir a fháil. Tá a croí istigh ann. Go mífhortúnach, íocfaidh sí go daor as a grá - lena saol féin.
    Ina theannta sin, tá neart grá ag Niall dá bhean freisin. Ar an drochuair, an am a feiceann muid é seo is soiléire sa leabhar ná an uair a faigheann sí bás. Nuair a sroicheann sé ar ais ó Zurich, agus nuair a feiceann sé Máire ina luí ar an urlár, marbh, tá a chroí briste. Tosaíonn sé ag caoineadh, luíonn sé in aice léi agus tógann sé a lámh ina lámh. Feictear a ghrá di sa nóiméad brónach, rómánsach seo. Ar ndóigh, tagann an taispeántas grá seo i bhfad ró-dhéanach.
    Nuair a chuireann muid na pointí thuas le chéile, tá sé éasca dúinn chun an téama ‘grá’ a fheicéail . Is léir go bhfuil téama tábhachtach é sa leabhar ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

English translation:
    (i) I studied ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’ by Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle during my course. We see the subject of love in this novel.

(ii)The theme of love is shown clearly from the start of this novel. There is love to be seen between the main character Niall, and his wife Máire.
    Firstly, at the start of the story, we see the love that Máire has for Niall. Máire is a loving person – even though she thinks that her husband is gone crazy/out of his mind when he starts packing to go to Greece, she agrees to go with him anyway. However, she does feel worried about her beloved husband and wants to get doctor’s help for him. She cares for him very much. Unfortunately, she will pay dearly for her love for him - with her own life.
    Also, Niall loves his wife very much too. Unfortunately, the time we see this most clearly is the hour of her death. When he returns from Zurich and sees Máire lying in the floor dead, his heart is broken. He starts to cry, lies on the floor beside her and takes her hand in his. His love for her is to be seen in this sad, romantic moment. Of course, this display of love comes much too late.
    When we put the above points together, it’s easy for us to see the theme of love. It’s clear that love is an important theme in the book ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

Bás – Death

(i) Rinne me staidéar ar ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’ le Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle i rith mo chúrsa. Feicimid an t-ábhar ‘ bás’ san úrscéal seo.

(ii) Feictear ‘Bás’ ó thus go deireadh an scéal. Is téama athfhilleadh é sa leabhar.
    I dtús báire, i dtosach an scéal, tarlaíonn bás Gerrit ar an Dart. Suíonn sé in aice le Niall agus ceapann Niall go bhfuil sé ina chodladh. Áfach, nuair a thiteann sé ar an dtalamh, is léir go bhfuil an fear bocht marbh! Faigheann muid amach níos déanaí sa scéal gur mharigh a dheartháir, Jan, é. Is eachtra tábhachtach é – tosaíonn an bás seo na eachtraí a athraíodh saol Niall go deo.
    Ansin, tagann bás Máire. Maraítear í go brúdiúil ar mhaithe le hairgead Jan. Tagann Niall ar ais ó Zurich go dtí an óstán agus níor creideann sé a shúile nuair a feiceann sé a bhean ina luí ar an urlár, a dhá láimh sínte amach taobh léi is a cuid gruaige fliuch lena fuil. D’íoc Máire go daor as a dílseacht do Niall, d’íoc sí lena beatha féin.
    Is é an bás deireanach ná bás Jan. Maraíonn Miriam é ag an ionad dumpála. Ag an am sin, bhí Jan ar tí Niall a mharú – cúpla soicind eile agus bheadh Niall marbh freisin. Níl splanc trua ag an léitheoir do Jan nuair a maraítear é mar ba drochfear ceart é. Is é an t-aon bás san úrscéal a chuireann áthas orainn.
    Tá sé soléir go bhfuil téama tábhachtach é ‘Bás’ agus is é ceann amháin de na príomhtéamaí sa leabhar ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

English Translation:
    (i) I studied ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’ by Ruaidhrí O’ Baílle during my course. We see the subject of ‘death’ in this novel.
    (ii) The theme of ‘death is seen from the start to the end of the story. It is a recurring theme in the book.
    First of all, at the beginnning of the story, Gerrit’s death happens on the Dart. He sits next to Niall and Niall thinks that he is asleep. However, when he falls on the ground, it’s clear that the poor man is dead! We find out later in the story that his brother, Jan, killed him. This is an important event – this death begins the events that would change Niall’s life forever.
    Then comes Máire’s death. She is killed brutally for the sake of Jan’s money. Niall comes back from Zurich to the hotel and he doesn’t believe his eyes when he sees his wife lying on the floor, her two hands stretched out beside her and her hair wet with her blood. Máire paid dearly for her love for Niall, she paid with her own life.
    The last death in the story is Jan’s death. Miriam kills him at the dump. At that time, Jan had been about to kill Niall – another couple of seconds and Niall would have been dead too. The reader has not a bit of pity for Jan when he is killed because he was a bad man through and through. It is the one death in the novel that pleases us.
    It’s clear that death is an important theme and is one of the main themes in the book ‘Dúnmharú ar an Dart’.

Thank u SOOOOOOOOOOO much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone want notes on Aililiú Bop Siuáidí?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I used a website recently for revision notes on a book for English, its a handy website, aimed for American students but it dosen't really matter. Some stuff you need to pay for but I think its only Teachers Resources! :P Anyways it has notes on Literature, Shakespeare, Poetry, Mythology, Bestsellers (modern books), Music, Algebra, Biology, US History, Civics and Economics. Might be of some use! :)

Its, www.shmoop.com

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Hey, I'm in 3rd at the moment and the mocks are coming up. Have you got any tips/tricks for me to, say; study or do well in school? Any reply would be much appreciated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FluffyDelusion

M&S* wrote: »
    Sample answer on an tÓzón
    An tÓzón le Máire Áine Nic-Ghearailt

Rinne mé stáideár ar an dán "An tÓzón" le Máire Áine Nic-Ghearailt. Is é an mothúcháin/téama atá roghnaithe agam ná dúlra/nadúr.
    Phioc mé an téama seo mar tá sé le fáil ó thus deireadh sa dán. Is dán é seo a bhainean leis an timpeallacht agus na fadhbanna atá aige faoi láthair. Usáideann an file pearsantú sa dán. Tá an t-Ózón ag caint.
    "Mise an tÓzón."

Tá fearg air mar tá sé i mbaol. Rinne Dia an tÓzón chun an cine daonna a chosaint ón ngriain.
    "Chun tusa a shaoradh ó iomarca gréine."

Déireann an tÓzón go bhfúil daoine mí-chúramach, Is cuma leo cén dochar/damáiste dhéanann siad don timpeallacht.
    Bá coir dúinn bheith níos cúramaí leis an timpeallacht.
    "Aire a thabhairt, Don chomharsanacht."

Labhraíonn an t-Ózón go feargach. Baineann an file úsáid as an Modh Ordaitheach chun é seo a chur in cúl dúinn.
    "Ná loit rud ar bith."
    "Glac mo chomhairle."

Tá an tÓzon ag déanamh a dhícheall an domhain a chosaint.Tá fearg air go bhfúil an cine daonna ag loit an timpeallacht.

Is soléir ó na pointí thuas gurb é dúlra/nadúr an téama is trise sa dán An tÓzón le Máire Áine Nic Ghearailt.

I know this is from really long ago and you've probs forgotten about it but I just want to check something. When you say "tá sé le fáil ó thus deireadh sa dán" is that right ? Or must it be "tá sé le fáil ó thús go deireadh sa dán?"
    I know it sounds really fussy and all but I have my mocks 2moz and I do really bad in the unseen stuff so if I can do well in the studied stuff it would really help.
    PLEASE HELP THOUGH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fashionmk

does anyone have any ideas on what is coming up for home ec ? :)

hey yeh my teacher told me that there is something on
    eggs and milk and she told us to revise them well

hey
    dose anyone have any good religion notes ??
    pleas post if you do thanks x:)

Morality
    Morality – knowing what is right or wrong and making decisions based on this.
    It is based on self-understanding
    Good Moral decision making is a skill knowing the situation and looking at positive and negative side and asking your self who will it effect and how ??

we decide on what is moral thing to do by :
    • Feeling guilty -
    • Fear of being caught –trouble at home school ect
    • Gut instinct – conscience
    • The laws of religion – 10 commandments , the bible
    • Laws of our country – laws
    • Rules at home /school – being grounded / detention
    • Following the crowed – want to fit in

Thing that can influence us :
    • Family
    • Religion
    • Friends
    • School
    • Media
    • Conscience

Moral behaviour is…
    • Living well
    • Being good and not hurting anyone and following the good ways
    • Being able to make good decisions being altruism(thinking of others)
    • Looking at concequances and learning from your mistakes

Stages:
    1. Children-
    • Copy others people around us ,usually our parents therefore we are more influenced by our family they are our primary educators
    • We pick up new thing very quickly
    • We are praised for good and punished when we do something bad
    • The things that we learn as children influances our behaviour later.
    • Religion is our influence if its part of the family
    • Image of god= magician or cloud

2. Adolescence –
    • Understand differences between right and wrong
    • More influenced by our peer group( friends )
    • We want to be trusted and independent
    • We think about laws and rules whan making a decision
    • Worried about getting caught
    • Also influenced by school

3. Moral maturity
    • We reach the stage at different ages sometimes a 14 year can be at this stage but a 40 won’t be .
    • Moral mature person is altruistic (thinking of others before your self )
    • They are aware of consequences and responsibilities
    • Conscience is developed
    • All opinions taken into an account
    • Asking questions eg who will it effect ? what will I get out of it ?? what might happen ?? ect.
    • Making an influenced decision

Influences:
    Peer groupe
    • Source of morality
    • Ussualy same age groupe / equals
    • Peer pressure –in making a decision or doing things therefore the decisions can be influanced by peers
    • It can be positive influence or negative
    • Teens can feel axiouse , left out or isolated based on their decisions

Home and family
    • One of the most important sources
    • Provide moral standard
    • Give love security religion ect
    • Family instil values in their children

School
    • Encourages us
    • Teaches us about our religion
    • Social awareness – charity work
    • And teaches us respect for others and property

Religion
    • Moral vision ‘do onto others as you would have done onto you’
    • Word of Jesus and the scriptures influence us
    • 10 commandments / Koran / bible ect. a moral code
    • And influences our dictions on certain issues eg divorce abortion ect

The state
    • Law
    • Smoking ban
    • Democratic countries usually less secular (less religouse )
    • Some countries rg soud Arabia more connected and is a fundamentalist country ( taking word for word from the sacret text )

Reconciliation

Reconciliation =-to forgive –to accept they are sorry
    • Making pace
    • Welcoming people back in their life
    • Actively embrace the person who has sinned against you
    N.B –not hold a grudge
    - not relive the past
    Eg. Jhon paule 2 was shoot and he forgave – visited the person in prison
    Saying sorry:
    • Mean it
    • And try to not to do it again
    Eg from bible
    Jesus forgave those who betrayed him ( judas )
    Jesus when on the cross being crucified said ‘father ,father forgive themthey do not know what they are doing’

Steward ship
    • We are steward of our environment
    • We are protecting + respecting gods creation
    • Gift from god
    • Think of future generations

Problems caused
    • Global warming
    • Acid rain / green house effect
    • Animals going to extinct –humans killing – danger habits
    What can we do ?
    • Recycle
    • Walk instead of drive
    • Buy Irish goods ( less plans )
    • Turn of lights
    • Wash full load
    • Ect.
    Morality vs state law
    Pluralism
    • Holds a view that the laws of the state should be separate to religion
    • Societ is multi cultural – more than 1 rel in 1 country
    • Tolerance to all religions provided
    • A pluralist society opposes theocracy (laws based on religion )
    Fundamentalism
    • take literally the word for word of the sacred text
    • live in a country based on theocracy
    • extreme fundamentalist can be viewed as dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

i need business notes please :):) i really need them

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

i need business notes please :):) i really need them

http://skoool.ie/junior.asp?id=1169

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

I have an A rated essays on people in history: Michelangelo and Martin Luther
    I also have Dulce et Decorum est notes
    Romeo and Juliet -why I admire Juliet
    Studied Poetry: Subh Milis sample answers (A1)
    Studied Prós: Marie Curie sample answers (A1)
    I also have great tips for writing a scéal on ceolchoirm :)
    Anybody interested?

xfabgalx wrote: »
    I have an A rated essays on people in history: Michelangelo and Martin Luther
    I also have Dulce et Decorum est notes
    Romeo and Juliet -why I admire Juliet
    Studied Poetry: Subh Milis sample answers (A1)
    Studied Prós: Marie Curie sample answers (A1)
    I also have great tips for writing a scéal on ceolchoirm :)
    Anybody interested?

The people in History and the Dulce et Decorum est notes would be great..if you don't mind putting them up

The people in History and the Dulce et Decorum est notes would be great..if you don't mind putting them up

No problem :) both essays ?

oh you're not planning on using history for mocks as it didn't come up this year

For anyone who needs a little boost in English drama,
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

e.g. a heroine is Juliet because she deals with stress well and her range of depth in emotion makes her unlike other characters; From great happiness to extreme despair, hate to love etc in minutes. She confronts Romeo's banishment bravely and comes to terms with it, "Back, foolish tears, back to your native spring". She is able to "count her blessings" with a realism greater than Romeo could manage, "... my husband lives" whereas her cousin, Tybalt is dead.

These points could also work for an admiration question and how they impact the play: affects family feud, "Yea, noise? then I'll be brief. O happy dagger! This is thy sheath;" peace after deaths for love; valued for this.

The quotes I have mentioned are key to studied drama and are very easy to learn especially the last quote as it has a sort of rhyme to it.

Also here's more notes I took down when studying for mocks last week: :D
    (will repeat some of above though)

The Character of Juliet
    • Qualities and achievements
    • Admired for heroic qualities
    • Responsible, mature in beginning
    • Obeys mother when marriage is brought up; "The valiant Paris seeks you for his love"
    • Does not promise but agrees to "look to like, if looking liking move".
    • Determination in her love for Romeo
    • "my love as deep; the more I give thee; the more I have"
    • This is admirable
    • Brave, courageous
    • Deals with stress well
    • Romeo's banishment: confronts sad news bravely
    • comes to terms with it
    • "Back, foolish tears, back to your native spring".
    • "... my husband lives"
    • whereas her cousin, Tybalt is dead.
    • She is able to "count her blessings" with a realism greater than Romeo could manage,
    • commend her, praise her
    • Range of depth in emotion make her unlike other characters
    • Feelings: great happiness to extreme despair
    • hate to love
    • wins admiration
    • Courage
    • Faces pain of dagger to be with Romeo
    • Doesn't hesitate despite extreme pain endures;
    • "Yea, noise? then I'll be brief. O happy dagger! This is thy sheath;"
    • Value her for this

A lot of the time, I find myself wondering of different words to use instead of "admire" all the time, so I look up some synonyms.
    Over the next few months I recommend making synonym lists of words that come up in questions such as admire and tragic, etc. They don't have to be in some fancy copy or anything. You could jot them down on an A4 sheet and add them to your folder when you have the time. You should already have an English folder! If not, get one! :)
    So add a new section to it entitled "Synonyms".

Here are synonyms for the word admire.
    Admire
    • Adore
    • Applaud
    • Appreciate
    • Approve
    • Commend
    • Credit
    • Idolize/Idolise
    • Praise
    • Respect
    • Treasure
    • Value

Hope this helps! Will put more up some time.
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

fashionmk wrote: »
    Morality
    Morality – knowing what is right or wrong and making decisions based on this.
    It is based on self-understanding
    Good Moral decision making is a skill knowing the situation and looking at positive and negative side and asking your self who will it effect and how ??

we decide on what is moral thing to do by :
    • Feeling guilty -
    • Fear of being caught –trouble at home school ect
    • Gut instinct – conscience
    • The laws of religion – 10 commandments , the bible
    • Laws of our country – laws
    • Rules at home /school – being grounded / detention
    • Following the crowed – want to fit in

Thing that can influence us :
    • Family
    • Religion
    • Friends
    • School
    • Media
    • Conscience

Moral behaviour is…
    • Living well
    • Being good and not hurting anyone and following the good ways
    • Being able to make good decisions being altruism(thinking of others)
    • Looking at concequances and learning from your mistakes

Stages:
    1. Children-
    • Copy others people around us ,usually our parents therefore we are more influenced by our family they are our primary educators
    • We pick up new thing very quickly
    • We are praised for good and punished when we do something bad
    • The things that we learn as children influances our behaviour later.
    • Religion is our influence if its part of the family
    • Image of god= magician or cloud

2. Adolescence –
    • Understand differences between right and wrong
    • More influenced by our peer group( friends )
    • We want to be trusted and independent
    • We think about laws and rules whan making a decision
    • Worried about getting caught
    • Also influenced by school

3. Moral maturity
    • We reach the stage at different ages sometimes a 14 year can be at this stage but a 40 won’t be .
    • Moral mature person is altruistic (thinking of others before your self )
    • They are aware of consequences and responsibilities
    • Conscience is developed
    • All opinions taken into an account
    • Asking questions eg who will it effect ? what will I get out of it ?? what might happen ?? ect.
    • Making an influenced decision

Influences:
    Peer groupe
    • Source of morality
    • Ussualy same age groupe / equals
    • Peer pressure –in making a decision or doing things therefore the decisions can be influanced by peers
    • It can be positive influence or negative
    • Teens can feel axiouse , left out or isolated based on their decisions

Home and family
    • One of the most important sources
    • Provide moral standard
    • Give love security religion ect
    • Family instil values in their children

School
    • Encourages us
    • Teaches us about our religion
    • Social awareness – charity work
    • And teaches us respect for others and property

Religion
    • Moral vision ‘do onto others as you would have done onto you’
    • Word of Jesus and the scriptures influence us
    • 10 commandments / Koran / bible ect. a moral code
    • And influences our dictions on certain issues eg divorce abortion ect

The state
    • Law
    • Smoking ban
    • Democratic countries usually less secular (less religouse )
    • Some countries rg soud Arabia more connected and is a fundamentalist country ( taking word for word from the sacret text )

Reconciliation

Reconciliation =-to forgive –to accept they are sorry
    • Making pace
    • Welcoming people back in their life
    • Actively embrace the person who has sinned against you
    N.B –not hold a grudge
    - not relive the past
    Eg. Jhon paule 2 was shoot and he forgave – visited the person in prison
    Saying sorry:
    • Mean it
    • And try to not to do it again
    Eg from bible
    Jesus forgave those who betrayed him ( judas )
    Jesus when on the cross being crucified said ‘father ,father forgive themthey do not know what they are doing’

Steward ship
    • We are steward of our environment
    • We are protecting + respecting gods creation
    • Gift from god
    • Think of future generations

Problems caused
    • Global warming
    • Acid rain / green house effect
    • Animals going to extinct –humans killing – danger habits
    What can we do ?
    • Recycle
    • Walk instead of drive
    • Buy Irish goods ( less plans )
    • Turn of lights
    • Wash full load
    • Ect.
    Morality vs state law
    Pluralism
    • Holds a view that the laws of the state should be separate to religion
    • Societ is multi cultural – more than 1 rel in 1 country
    • Tolerance to all religions provided
    • A pluralist society opposes theocracy (laws based on religion )
    Fundamentalism
    • take literally the word for word of the sacred text
    • live in a country based on theocracy
    • extreme fundamentalist can be viewed as dangerous

Thanks for the religion, any more? ;)

I have a hopeless teacher (who means well but just) fails in everyway, my class have absolutely no notes & she insists on straying as far away from the book as possible.

Maybe her methods may work for others, but I learn by reading the book for myself, not from listening to what she says.

Although religion is thankfully one of those subjects where anyone, with the gift of the gab, may easily pull off a low B ;)

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Thanks for the religion, any more? ;)

I have a hopeless teacher (who means well but just) fails in everyway, my class have absolutely no notes & she insists on straying as far away from the book as possible.

Maybe her methods may work for others, but I learn by reading the book for myself, not from listening to what she says.

Although religion is thankfully one of those subjects where anyone, with the gift of the gab, may easily pull off a low B ;)

I have some notes on morality - justice and the 5 (or 6?) stages of moral growth if you want I can put them up in a while. I also have a lot more detailed notes on some of the headings above :)

• Advertisement

xfabgalx wrote: »
    No problem :) both essays ?

Yeah, if you dont mind, that'd be great.

Advertisement