Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Donegal Town to Dublin Fastest Route?

Comments

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

If I went by Pettigo, I'd be inclined to go through Enniskillen. Going via Omagh from Donegal Town seems a bit out of the way although you should make Monaghan from there in about 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Well, from living a few miles outside ballybofey have gone both way several times..airport and croker, I go via Omagh and then when going to sis-in-law in kildare, go via Sligo...I myself prefer the omagh route as could drive it with my eyes closed:D have done it that often..From Donegal town though going to Omagh seems to make no sense at all, as mentioned enniskillen would be the route to take..That Sligo route is terrible for guards with hair dryers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I made Maynooth in 3.5 hours on a busy Friday over Xmas going via Sligo (coming from between Letterkenny and Ballybofey). There is now dual carriageway on the Roosky/Dromod section of the N4, and it's dual carriageway/motorway all the way from Mullingar to Dublin.

I found the Bundoran-Sligo section and Carrick on Shannon to be the worst parts.

Michelin suggest going via Enniskillen. Going via Omagh (from Donegal Town) makes no sense to me.

I guess it depends where in the city you're heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if your going to west or south dublin i find the quickest way is down through blacklion and manorhamilton and pick the N4 at masonite otherwise its enniskillen and the N3 for me. havnt been down the N2 for years so cant comment on that route only use the omagh cut across when heading to belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maos

Via Sligo.....all Towns By Passed And New Motorway From Kinnegad Make It In 3.10mins

• Advertisement

maos wrote: »
    Via Sligo.....all Towns By Passed

What about Carrick on Shannon?

There are others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

maos wrote: »
    Via Sligo.....all Towns By Passed And New Motorway From Kinnegad Make It In 3.10mins

The N4/M4 it is then! Not sure if I'll go via Sligo Town or Manorcunningham. Anyone know a good place to stop for breakfast along the way? I'm home for a week and flying into Dublin, grabing a hirecar, and heading straight home, roads should be nice and empty at 6am! I'm hoping to find somewhere at the end of the M4 to grab a nice big fry-up! :D

Hey Redsoxfan, you in Boston? Me too.

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

bettlebrox wrote: »
    The N4/M4 it is then! Not sure if I'll go via Sligo Town or Manorcunningham. Anyone know a good place to stop for breakfast along the way? I'm home for a week and flying into Dublin, grabing a hirecar, and heading straight home, roads should be nice and empty at 6am! I'm hoping to find somewhere at the end of the M4 to grab a nice big fry-up! :D

Manorcunningham might be a bit further out of your way than Omagh. :D;)

Try Manorhamilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Donegal Town-Laghy-Kesh-Enniskillen-Maguiresbridge-Lisnaskea-Newtownbutler-Cavan-Virginia-Kells-Navan-Dublin. Took me two hours 14 minutes on St Stephens morning. Sligo route is notorious for police.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭clearz

Donegal Town
    Lahey
    Pettigo
    Kesh
    Enniskillen
    Maguires Bridge
    Lisnaskee
    New Town Buttler
    Buttlersbridge
    Cavan Town
    Vaginnia
    Kellls
    Navan
    Dunshoklen
    Blanchardstown
    Dublin.

Fastest route guaranteed. Done it a few hundredth times. Some towns are probably spelt a bit wrong.

• Advertisement

Vaginnia? Dunshoklen? Do you even look at the road signs? :eek:

smashey wrote: »
    Manorcunningham might be a bit further out of your way than Omagh. :D;)

Try Manorhamilton.
    Hee hee! I'll drive really, really fast and be wondering what all them blue lights are behind me! :eek: For some reason I always do that; call Manorhamilton Manorcunningham and vice-versa. :rolleyes:

bettlebrox wrote: »

Nah. Once upon a time........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

I'd recommend the following;

Donegal Town
    Lahey
    Pettigo
    Kesh
    Enniskillen
    Ballinaleck
    Derrylin
    Belturbet

Cavan Town
    Virginia
    Kells
    Navan
    Dunshaughlin
    Blanchardstown (or Lucan if you're heading south-side)
    Dublin.

This alternative Enniskillen-Cavan route is a wee bit longer distance-wise but the road is straighter, wider and better maintained meaning it is a wee bit better, time-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

taung wrote: »
    I'd recommend the following;

Donegal Town
    Lahey
    Pettigo
    Kesh
    Enniskillen
    Ballinaleck
    Derrylin
    Belturbet

Cavan Town
    Virginia
    Kells
    Navan
    Dunshaughlin
    Blanchardstown (or Lucan if you're heading south-side)
    Dublin.

This alternative Enniskillen-Cavan route is a wee bit longer distance-wise but the road is straighter, wider and better maintained meaning it is a wee bit better, time-wise.

I agree, cutting through Derrylin saves a little bit of time as road is better.

I ended up going up and down via Sligo (my usual route). About 3.5 hours of easy driving. Also, stopped at Carrowkeel for the first time on me way home (to Donegal). Amazing spot if your into megalithic sites, our heritage, and a bit of hill walking. :)

Of course on the way back to Dublin I had to drop of a renta-car with a full tank and spent almost an hour driving around Drumcondra looking for a petrol station! :mad: At least next time I'll remember there's one on Richmond road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I saw it done the laghey, enniskillen, cavan, dublin route with the wife onboard.

Ok, it was a sunday and we were on a Honda CBR Hurricance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I'd get that guy in the subaru on you tube to take me!

Seriously, has anyone tried the Bus Eireann service recently. It appears to have gotten much faster and convienent for airport etc

My quickest ever was Stephens morning, 2hrs 8 minutes, Donegal Town to Clonee. Not proud of it! :o

Any suggestions on where to stop for a half-decent bite to eat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement