Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

blue or brown aggregate for polished concrete?

• 29-05-2015 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Our self build is commencing in 2 weeks. We have to choose whether we want blue or brown aggregate for the polished concrete (these must be the options available in Cork) anyone have any experiece of either, any advice and/or pictures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd be asking the supplier for a picture of the finished options. Sounds crazy to have to choose without seeing the finished article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Effects wrote: »
    I'd be asking the supplier for a picture of the finished options. Sounds crazy to have to choose without seeing the finished article.

+1 on this, I think you need to see some samples. I will be starting a self build next year, really like the look of polished concrete. Everyone keeps telling me it's too expensive and not worth it. Any chance you could PM me prices?

I've had someone tell me it's very expensive too. Still haven't made up our minds on it for a couple of reasons. Engaging a QS at the moment which should help us work out prices and whether it's within our budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Brown will harmonize better than blue with most colour schemes you may later select for the interior.
    Or to put it another way - pick blue and that dictates the interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Rackstar wrote: »
    +1 on this, I think you need to see some samples. I will be starting a self build next year, really like the look of polished concrete. Everyone keeps telling me it's too expensive and not worth it. Any chance you could PM me prices?

I think it's about 60 euro per m2. Tiling or wooden floors is cheaper per m2 so you wouldn't be doing it to save money. If you're putting in underfloor heating though like we are, there should be cost benefits in terms of heating bills as there is no floor covering for the underfloor heating to have to heat before it starts heating the room. Based on a thread search here I found out there is some in the Triskel so I went and had a look today. I presume the Triskel one is blue - it looks it anyway. I really like the look of it I have to say. It's like tiles except without the lines inbetween so it's basically like a continuous floor of tiles with no edges on each tile - which is really unique in fairness - not like most houses and I think it would defo give the house 'wow' factor. We can't afford to put it in every room though

• Advertisement

Brown will harmonize better than blue with most colour schemes you may later select for the interior.
    Or to put it another way - pick blue and that dictates the interior.

Ok I need to go and see an example of brown polished concrete then - pretty sure the one I saw in Triskel today was blue. If anyone knows any brown ones anywhere in the country let me know. Have a bit of time off coming up and will be driving around shopping for stuff for the house anyway.

What did the supplier say when you asked about samples? I'd have assumed they could make up a couple if they didn't have them already.
    Personally I'd hate to have brown in my floors and then have to match everything else to it. I've recently painted the exterior of my house and have sections of brown in it. Purely to match the neighbours as we are either selling or renting it shortly. I can't stand brown.

Only thing is the brown can have reddish tones I think. The blue in Triskel was a little cold. I wonder would the brown be warmer. The guys doing our underfloor heating (Ashgrove) told me lots of new builds now are going for polished concrete. Obviously not based on lack of replies from ppl with it here. Or else they must not be on boards

Advertisement