Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP on Campus

• 20-02-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

So during college like everyone I have the odd hour or two free now and then and I usually need to access FTP servers for work, but the campus network will reject every connection I try to make. I've attempted on more than one website and the fault isn't on my side. I'm connecting through the default port, 21.

Does anyone know how to get around the networks restrictions on FTP servers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Kavkid wrote: »
    So during college like everyone I have the odd hour or two free now and then and I usually need to access FTP servers for work, but the campus network will reject every connection I try to make. I've attempted on more than one website and the fault isn't on my side. I'm connecting through the default port, 21.

Does anyone know how to get around the networks restrictions on FTP servers?

FTP is a horrible old bastard of a protocol and as such is blocked for most users for security reasons. Some staff have access but their computers are on parts of the network where a compromised machine can't cause too much damage.

You can use Secure FTP via minds, but that would require you to use ssh on port 22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Try your-freedom
    http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=140

Used it before, but not for ftp and it was very reliable :)

If you can stand using it at speeds of 6.4kb/s it's free, if not 25kb/s is only ~€5/month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Effluo wrote: »
    Try your-freedom
    http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=140

Used it before, but not for ftp and it was very reliable :)

If you can stand using it at speeds of 6.4kb/s it's free, if not 25kb/s is only ~€5/month

What is this.

What's wrong with MINDS / WinSCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

It's just a reliable proxy.

Do minds offer something to it's members to get around the college firewall(or whatever it is that's blocking the connection)?

Advertisement