Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I get that in this particular case, but the danger to wildlife still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I was out recently when I spotted a Buzzard overhead. Then in came a pair of Kestrels, with the Buzzard making its way over to them. Then one of them put out a high pitched ei-ei-ei-ei-ei call. Not sure which bird it came from? The only noise I've ever heard coming from either bird is the Buzzard's mewing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

whyulittle wrote: »
    I was out recently when I spotted a Buzzard overhead. Then in came a pair of Kestrels, with the Buzzard making its way over to them. Then one of them put out a high pitched ei-ei-ei-ei-ei call. Not sure which bird it came from? The only noise I've ever heard coming from either bird is the Buzzard's mewing.

Sounds like a Peregrines alarm call - so I'd say that was the Kestrel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Anyone know what raptor is tagged 10 with a green tag one wing grey on the other. Thinking buzzard however I am not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Anyone know what raptor is tagged 10 with a green tag one wing grey on the other. Thinking buzzard however I am not sure

Missing the last few years but there were some Buzzards tagged with green tags.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93788991&postcount=809

• Advertisement

Thanks, never seen this one around before. New player in the park

Thanks, must be a new player in the park never saw it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I had a male Greenfinch at the feeders today with a ring on his leg. I've had a few Goldfinch over the past couple of years with rings too but the Greenfinch is new one for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Anybody know if a decoy, magpie or falcon, will deter House Martins. Likely placed in a window ~2 metres below nesting site.

Note: not my decision or preference:( and want no illegal types of actions ie. deter them before they start. Due to acrophobia I'd prefer not to have to use a ladder to make a barrier thing.

Seen some hedge cutting today near Roganstown golf club by a tractor, isn't it illegal to cut hedges from 1st March-31st August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

tricky D wrote: »
    Anybody know if a decoy, magpie or falcon, will deter House Martins. Likely placed in a window ~2 metres below nesting site.

Note: not my decision or preference:( and want no illegal types of actions ie. deter them before they start. Due to acrophobia I'd prefer not to have to use a ladder to make a barrier thing.

Why do you want to stop them nesting in first place?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

tricky D wrote: »

Honestly, if I had to put money on it I wouldn't say so.

Did I see somewhere before that hanging CD's where the nest would be puts them off..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Why do you want to stop them nesting in first place?

Sounds like the missus got her way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

any news on the WTSE in mountshannon? seen them nesting there last year, just wondering how they are doing this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Kayla Moldy Supernova

emo72 wrote: »
    any news on the WTSE in mountshannon? seen them nesting there last year, just wondering how they are doing this year.

Generally there will be, or should be, little announced until after things have developed - so as to avoid disturbance.

is there just one breeding pair on the lake?

emo72 wrote: »
    is there just one breeding pair on the lake?

We really shouldn't be giving details like that here.

We really shouldn't be giving details like that here.

hi srameen just did a bit of googling meself. i think its safe to discuss in fairness.

have you been down there? theres a public observation area with a viewing scope of them perched up in the trees. i just didnt think it was a secret, its a major tourist attaction.

http://www.mountshannoneagles.ie/?page_id=12

In2012, Dr. Allan Mee and his dedicated team set up at the Harbour with their telescopes and rain gear, to monitor the first eagle nest. They tirelessly educated and informed anyone and everyone who came to the Harbour about these exquisite birds of prey. Volunteers from Mountshannon and Whitegate came fully on board to assist with the eagle monitoring and to advise the public about the eagles. Mary Muggivan very generously gave the use of her building to the Golden Eagle Trust as a centre and viewing place over those two summers. The local Fas CES Scheme renovated the building. And four local artists were commissioned to create art work to hang permently outside the building. (see “eagle stories” for more details). In 2013, from this group of enthusiasts the official group Mountshannon Eagles was formed.

It is a well-publicised breeding site, but I can certainly understand Srameens concern. The most sensitive time for breeding pairs is around now - when they're about to or have already laid eggs and right up until the chicks hatch. They're vulnerable to disturbance after this too, but in this period they can just up and abandon the site altogether. If you're thinking of making a long trip over to see them I think you're best off to wait a few weeks and keep an eye on what the Golden Eagle Trust has to say - they usually announce the progress of that pair when the time is right. I don't know what pairs have set up where, but I'd imagine that's likely to be a reliable site later in the year.

[IMG][/img]26595342425_6035832aba_c.jpg

I had heard this guy was very active during the day at a particular spot. Staked out the spot all morning with out a sign of him.
    Spotted him on the way home unfortunately he was roadkill and not long so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I asked this over in the angling forum but would be interested in any opinions here aswell:
    Bit of a strange question but does anyone know if theres been a collapse in crab populations? I do a lot of coast walking in Clare, Galway and Wicklow and just dont see them anymore, dead or alive. Maybe its rose tinted nostalgia but the rock pools everywhere seem a bit dead to me compared to when we were kids aswell.

Likewise we catch a lot of mackerel in places like Blackhead in Clare and other spots and clean them in the water afterwards and I remember as kids by the time you'd finished cleaning there would be crabs swarming the heads and guts, now theres nothing, when I was growing up it seemed any clear patch of water around a pier or natural shore you'd always see them, from little hermits to bigger specimens the size of your hand, cant actually remeber the last time I saw one now...

There are still many crabs about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

[IMG][/img]26595342425_6035832aba_c.jpg

I had heard this guy was very active during the day at a particular spot. Staked out the spot all morning with out a sign of him.
    Spotted him on the way home unfortunately he was roadkill and not long so.

Roadkill Pine Marten seems all too common. But it is indicative of a good population.

Left some freshly watered seedlings out in the sun. An hour later they were strewn all over the place and beakfulls of compost missing. The culprit? A female Blackbird. I assume she was using the damp compost to line her nest as she was carrying it away rather than just looking for worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Left some freshly watered seedlings out in the sun. An hour later they were strewn all over the place and beakfulls of compost missing. The culprit? A female Blackbird. I assume she was using the damp compost to line her nest as she was carrying it away rather than just looking for worms.

:confused: Strange. Blackbirds nests are usually dried grass with added polythene decor. Song thrushes line with 'clay'.

Really no idea what she was up with it. Be interested to hear suggestions though.

I wonder if they work such stuff into the grass? 'Mud Hut' sort of thing? Never thought to dismantle a blackies nest, thinking about it.

Interesting; What we don't realise we don't know :)

Classic Blackbird's nest is made of dried grass and moss, lined with mud covered with fine grass.

Chris Packham has gone back to Malta, and the illegal hunting is still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Spent an hour just before dark last night in woodland on home patch watching for roding woodcock . At least 2 birds simultaneously in the air for about 20 minutes around 9.30 pm, fabulously atmospheric listening to their croaking calls in dead calm weather and clear skies, just after the dusk chorus died out. Haven't come across then in this site in years so glad to know they're still hanging in there despite heavy conifer harvesting in the woodland in recent years. Snipe heard too just before dark.

Lots of Ganets diving just off Red Island in Skerries today, my first time seeing them in real life.

• Advertisement

Local Hose Sparrows are all fledging at the moment and the annual slaughter has started - domestic cats on the rampage. I rescued one fledgling from the mouth of a neighbours cat and it looked perky enough to release into the thickest, highest part of my hedge. So far I have drenched 3 different cats with the hose that have been lurking around. I'd happily put up my poultry guard electric fence unit around the garden but I don't want to zap my urban foxes.

Advertisement