Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

mike65 wrote: »
    Eh? Ah! Ummmmm, indeed.

etc

He's be nothing without them.

He annoyingly says 'Ummmm' a lot during interviews. I stopped listening.

The best are the Off The Ball lads. They listen to the interviewee without saying anything. Listen and learn everyone else.

Also doesn't Sean O'Rourke on RTE radio 1 news at one sound like a cranky headmaster? Go fcuk yourself

Phil Cawley on Firday night 80s on Today FM, constantly referring to himself in the thrid person. 'Phil this, Phil that'

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Arpa wrote: »
    Chris Donoghue...jesus man learn to pronounce "th". Sometimes they have a guy called Ian Geider or something, he has a similar problem.

This. When Geider does the business reports, I'm half convinced every statistic deliberately involves lots of th's just so he can say things like "tirty tree and a tird percent" to p1ss me off early in the morning.

FAO Denis O'Brien - use some of your billions to get your presenters some feckin elocution lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm getting tired of Ronan Collins' ham-fisted segues between songs, trying to shoehorn something he heard on the news or weather (or the Duffster's preview) into the theme of the next song he's about to play. I'd prefer it if he just said "and now here's some more middle of the road dreck for you to drool mindlessly to" before each song. I don't listen that much, I just hear him after PK and before the News at one, same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Airwaves full of it this morning, DJs false excitement about "the long bank holiday weekend". Will be mentioned thousands of times today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

NIMAN wrote: »
    Airwaves full of it this morning, DJs false excitement about "the long bank holiday weekend". Will be mentioned thousands of times today.

That brings me back!
    Never forget when I used to work all week and till 6 on a Saturday evening.
    And to listen to the bozos getting excited about the BH weekend.
    Usually started from Wednesday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Marty F&cking Whelan! Just about every bit of nonsense that dribbles out of this guy is irritating. Except for just one sweet word... "Goodbye".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Pat Courtennnaaaaaaaay on Nova, with his annoying falsetto voice and his compulsion to throw in stupid Nova catchphrases. I hear the twat when I switch over from the Morning Ireland lovefest with the sports crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Tzetze wrote: »
    Marty F&cking Whelan! Just about every bit of nonsense that dribbles out of this guy is irritating. Except for just one sweet word... "Goodbye".

He seems to think he's Terry Wogan the way he talks, but that chap will never be, he is also very uneasy when he is talking or comes across that way, how he is still around is beyond me :confused:

Trying to really push their Electric Picnic competition, several TodayFM presenters have all said that "the weather is meant to be cracking for that weekend too".

They have been saying this for a week now.

So suddenly we know that the 1st week in Sept is going to be good, but forecasters can't get the weather forecast correct usually outside of a week or 10 days.

But DJs obviously are better qualified than those at Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chris O'Donoghue really cannot speak can he?

"Murred along the quays"

Probably mentioned already.....

Sean 'umm' Moncreiff

Also that business editor on the RTE news at One - David Murphy. I have to turn off whenever he comes on. It's his accent. He sounds like the posh child from your class when you were young

Finally when Matt Cooper gets anal about phrases/words/anagrams he never heard of, and insists on the interviewee to explain the term

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Hector pretending to be as culchie as can be with his bun burgers and tins a lilt.
    I

The legendary 'countdown to the weekend' that DJs do.

Usually we are bombarded with this on a Friday from early morning, but iRadio took it a step further today, with mid Thur a DJ telling us how much he was looking forward to the weekend, and how it was only 27hrs away!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone with a strong accent of some sort. I was always told that having a neutral accent was most desirable for radio.

Its a possible talent to develop for any aspiring radio presenters, and I'm surprised that most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

That's so annoying, not everyone works Monday to Friday ! It's like they have nothing else to say all day on a friday, it starts all over again on the Monday. "Only 5 days till the weekend "

Gimme a break:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

George Hook's noisy nostrils.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    He seems to think he's Terry Wogan the way he talks, but that chap will never be, he is also very uneasy when he is talking or comes across that way, how he is still around is beyond me :confused:

Thanks for your post i tought i was on my own with my views on this jerk marty whelan

I agree he always tought he was irelands answer to terry wogan which he isnt and wont be he must have friends in rte who hes hitting on to get work

Pure rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bob50 wrote: »
    Thanks for your post i tought i was on my own with my views on this jerk marty whelan

I agree he always tought he was irelands answer to terry wogan which he isnt and wont be he must have friends in rte who hes hitting on to get work

Pure rubbish

A pure clown of a man with disturbing delusions. Even the mere sight of the chap makes my blood boil, the silver tache and thinning comb back hairstyle. You can be guaranteed that he views himself as some sort of sex symbol to middle aged housewives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Anyone with a strong accent of some sort. I was always told that having a neutral accent was most desirable for radio.

Its a possible talent to develop for any aspiring radio presenters, and I'm surprised that most don't.

Whoever told you that must go for the "mid atlantic" accent beloved of so many of our DJs, although I wouldnt call it a talent.

To me, the mid atlantic is 100 times worse than someone like Hector for example - at least he is keeping it real

• Advertisement

This is not really radio specific but nonetheless - when did media presenters of whatever type start to make themselves part of the subject question? Once upon a time a discussion would take the shape of a question posed to an expert or correspondent as follows

"What are the prospects for peace after this development?"

Which has now become

"What do we think the chances are for peace after this development?"

Even 5 years ago this "we" business was rarely heard, now it's pretty much de rigueur.

mike65 wrote: »
    This is not really radio specific but nonetheless - when did media presenters of whatever type start to make themselves part of the subject question? Once upon a time a discussion would take the shape of a question posed to an expert or correspondent as follows

"What are the prospects for peace after this development?"

Which has now become

"What do we think the chances are for peace after this development?"

Even 5 years ago this "we" business was rarely heard, now it's pretty much de rigueur.

Don't forget that after they ask the expert what they think the chances of peace are, and he leaves, they then ask us, Joe Idiot in the public, to text in and tell them what we think!

I hate this whole idea of asking every Tom, Dick and Harrys opinion. You only have to listen to the likes of LiveLine to realise the world is full of tubes whose opinion should never be taken on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Bodhran

Broadcasters who can't pronounce the word "sixth" (6th). George Hamilton, among others, pronounces it "sickth".

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I find it really annoying when presenters deliberately include "dead air" in their show. Ray Foley is particularly guilty of this, at least 5-10 seconds where they say nothing and you have the stupid dancey music in the background. Say something FFS, it's what you're getting paid for!

I also find Ian Dempsey a bit annoying, although I can't quite put my finger on exactly why, although one particular time really bugged me. Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) had done a Bond theme, Dempsey played it and started ranting about how bad it was and anyway, who was Chris Cornell. A texter sent in a snotty text about Soundgarden, etc and Dempsey got on his high horse about how the texter should enlighten us all with his superior musical knowledge. In fairness, I would expect a DJ on the scene for as long as Dempsey to at least have heard of Cornell and Soundgarden and not get so thick with texters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The Friday Obsession

Will Leahy is terrible for this.
    "its almost Friday, Friday is here"

Shut up

Sorry to repeat myself but Des Cahill on Morning Ireland at around 8:30am today was awful. How can a man that has needed to blow out his nose for 20yrs still be getting to read out stuff on the radio? He always sounds so bunged up and nasal.

RTE, please pay for the operation to have his sinuses done, or whatever he needs. He is awful to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Fionn Davenport on Davenport After Dark on Newstalk.

He thinks he is cutting edge because gasp , he talks about SEX on his radio show! It's so naff!

Is it the 1990s again ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Bodhran wrote: »
    Broadcasters who can't pronounce the word "sixth" (6th). George Hamilton, among others, pronounces it "sickth".

Jeremy Paxman always says "sisth" on University Challenge as well...

Witch witch witch, why can't the witch be dead?

• Advertisement

I dunno if Coopeman reads this thread but I've noticed that "witch" is now which and "width" is now with. If he can get "trew" to become through I reckon he'll have done well!

Advertisement