Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

wordpress-Some help...

Options
  • 29-12-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi Folks, I,m a bit sorry I decided to do this on my own but I'm not giving up...
    I've got wordpress on my domain page and I have uploaded a theme I bought. I uploaded the ZIP file. Is this ok. I'm wonedering what happens next. I simply want to be able to edit the theme and get it live. I have my ftp and mail etc setup but I have no idea what to do next. I'm going into here and there on the hosting page and I seem to have options there but just not used to all the web lingo:(. Can any1 give me a quuick dummies guide to actually finding my theme and editing it. Then theres the problem of search engines. By the way, all I want from my web site is for it to be like a portfolio of the woodwork I do. Front page, pretty much blank with just a picture and 'enter' sign. Then photo gallery and a few ways to describe things and contact details...simple really ...you'd imagine. :eek:
    I dont think so. Anyway , thanks folks, and dont assume I know a cgi from a PHP because I dont...!!!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes

All the questions you might need to ask are all there.

Juts re-read your post.

You need to go into the site throught the admin login (www.examplesite/wp/wp-admin) or whereever you installed wordpress (the wp folder might be something else)

Also I usually use the following plugins:
    SEO
    sitemap
    Contact/registration form

Good luck.

Also - if you bought a theme - it usually comes with a step-by-step guide in the documentation folder - have a look inside the zip folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

You need to extract the contents of the zip folder and upload the folder via ftp to somewhere like http://www.yourwebsite.com/wp-content/theme/

Files in the folder will be something like the following:

single.php
    page.php
    functions.php
    index.php
    category.php
    style.css
    /images/
    /js/

etc etc

Or you can upload the zip file via wordpress iteself under appearance in the left hand navigation.

Advertisement