Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Implementing Software

• 07-01-2012 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

OK, so I'm a second year computer science and software engineering student in Maynooth ... a while ago my Mam asked to me to help her with something in work, my Mam is HR manager and takes a lot of job applications every day, so she asked me to make a programme that would sort the e-mails into seperate folders depending on what job they are applying for, i.e nurse applications go in a nursing folder, security go in a security folder, etc. etc. ... i made a programme that should do it for her using regular expressions, but we've never been thought how to use our software outside of jcreator, or bluej or any IDE in college, so it seem pretty much redundant knowing how to do this because i cant actually implement it, does anyone know where i can learn how to make it so my program just executes everytime my mam gets an e-mail?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Would it not be simpler to just make rules for incoming emails to direct them into different folders? Or am I being too simplistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 teleboy

nager wrote: »
    Would it not be simpler to just make rules for incoming emails to direct them into different folders? Or am I being too simplistic?

Your probably right, but at this stage Im also looking at this from an academic point of view, like I want to learn how to put all the knowledge I have in CS in practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

teleboy wrote: »
    Your probably right, but at this stage Im also looking at this from an academic point of view, like I want to learn how to put all the knowledge I have in CS in practice!

I really don't think that Java would be the appropriate way to do this unless Java has a library for interacting with Outlook. I'm presuming she uses Outlook?

One way to do it programmatically would be to use the Outlook Interop library in C# and Visual Studio. Students can get access to the professional version on Microsoft's Dreamspark website.

I still think that just applying a mail rule to this would be a better way. If you want to develop your programming skills I suggest working on some ideas you have of your own and developing them further.

As for NUIM - that's where I studied. I hope you find the course useful, but make sure to do your own reading beyond it because it is what will set you apart from other people looking for development positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

isnt using a regex just like creating rules for folders in any client or mail service? only criteria you can really have is the FROM/SUBJECT and maybe the BODY

Advertisement