Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leg Cramps

Options
  • 11-07-2011 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi just wondering if anyone else is having really bad leg cramps at night. I'm 27 weeks pregnant and i have tried everything anyone has suggested to me to ease the cramps, i am getting no sleep at night because of these cramps, any suggestions are welcomed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I've no miracle cure unfortunately. . just know how you feel. . was working a very busy 6 day week last week and my calves are killing me from all the standing. .. i've have heard tonic water can help. . the quinine does something amazing.. but there are leg stretches you can do to help

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/leg-cramps.aspx?xid=nl_YourDailyNewsletterfromWhattoExpect_20110503

Hope it's some help .. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Apparently potasium helps too...

Get out of bed if it happens in the night and put the sole of your foot flat on the floor and stretch it too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 skippy09

Thank you, I've tried the tonic water and the stretches.... someone told me that if you bandage up your legs with cold bandages that it should help so thats what i'm trying tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Plenty of water and bananas for the potassium....worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Sparkling water helps because there's magnesium (I think) in it which helps with cramps. Its a tip I got from an elite athelete years ago to help with tired crampy legs from running. Potassium, as others have said, also helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I only experienced this once during my last pregnancy. It was the worst cramp i've ever had, I was CONVINCED i'd pulled something my leg. Not looking forward to that happening again! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Try not to point your toes! I stretched out like a cat last night and immediately my leg went haywire, was in agony for about an hour! +1 on the banana and a glass of tonic water before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Got my first one today, I'm 26 weeks. 6am I was shouting at my other half to push my foot down. Must have given him the fright of his life, waking up to that, but the pain of it was terrible. Used to get them constantly as a kid but thankfully haven't had them in years. Wonder if its because I haven't had a banana in a few days, I usually eat one every day. Off to the shops on my break I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Go easy on the tonic water folks, the quinine can cross the placenta. Everything in moderation as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gerry_fifi007

skippy09 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone else is having really bad leg cramps at night. I'm 27 weeks pregnant and i have tried everything anyone has suggested to me to ease the cramps, i am getting no sleep at night because of these cramps, any suggestions are welcomed :)

Tonic Water is your best bet even though it is vile. I suffer terribly with cramps, visited the doctor and I was told there is no cure. I find wearing socks or warm clothing helps. You may have poor circulation in your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I never had a cramp before until last night. I roared the place down with the pain!
    Didn't help that we had been at a wedding yesterday and himself slept through all my roaring and shouting for him to massage my leg!
    Think I'll have to put him on a drinking ban around the due date. If he slept through that last night he'd sleep through anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Please do not bump 4 year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement