Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One of the sellers is now banned, and he was constantly recommended here. I had several keys from him and all are blocked. I've also had it happen with two other sellers which are considered the good ones. One replaced, the other ignored me completely.

There are no 'safe' sellers on reddit. Every purchase is a gamble.

will56 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to check a key before going throught the hassle of a clean install or updating a product key and then finding out in a months time its not genuine ?

Nope. It may be genuine at the time of install but if the key is sold too often it will just get blocked and when that happens, your install will revert back to non-genuine. There is nothing you can do short of just hoping that the key remains OK for its lifetime.

Or else you could upgrade to W10, but not everyone wants to do that at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Is upgrading to Win 10 a way of securing the genuine-ness of the key ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

will56 wrote: »
    Is upgrading to Win 10 a way of securing the genuine-ness of the key ?

When you upgrade it installs a new product key specific to your windows 10 installation. The windows 7/8 key is thrown out, which is why it is recommended you take it down before you upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

^ Dunno about everyone else, but I think that's an incredibly stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Strikes me as a toaster oven for your GPU. The stand does not exactly inspire confidence, looks very to heavy. Some very nice M-ITX cases available, much better option if you want portability,

One of the sellers is now banned, and he was constantly recommended here. I had several keys from him and all are blocked. I've also had it happen with two other sellers which are considered the good ones. One replaced, the other ignored me completely.

There are no 'safe' sellers on reddit. Every purchase is a gamble.

Now have been contacted twice today alone about Windows keys stopping working and the 'this Windows is not genuine' message appearing. Neither are from the aforementioned banned seller and both sellers have not been online in 10 days.

Getting really ****ing pissed at this stage, in future I think it has to be mentioned on B&U that Reddit keys are entirely at the buyers risk. I've had about 12 blocked keys this week from 4 different sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've only bought about four or five keys from Reddit, I've had two of them blocked on me. I don't really mind too much. It's a little annoying, but given that I'd have to buy five keys before I'd hit the price of regular Windows (quite a bit more, with regular Win10 pricing) I can live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Never mind got sorted

There's some great friendly posters on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Got a call from Bank of Ireland asking me if I am currently in Indonesia. Apparently somebody used my debit card at an ATM over there. Took out about 1.2 million in local currency which is thankfully only around the 70 euro mark. Card has been cancelled now.

Oddly enough I don't see this transaction listed in my online banking..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Was it really Bank of Ireland calling?

dreamers75 wrote: »

I like the idea. It's relatively innovative. 2k for prototypes seems rather low considering the amount of machining required though. The stand is not thought out at all. Anyone can see that flimsy thin piece of metal buckling.

There is also the fact that these lads are fresh out of secondary school. Their only experience is doing a small bit of 3D CAD for F1 in Schools (competed in this myself back when I was in TY so I know it is just CAD, then a Uni mills out the car on a CNC). Not exactly something that inspires confidence.

Another strike against it is the lack of adjustment. A monitor needs at least tilt and height adjustment. That flimsy hinge is what I assume the tilt is...

But still, I hope they get to prototype it at least. Looks nice.

Monotype wrote: »
    Was it really Bank of Ireland calling?

I have no reason to think otherwise.. until now :(

Person who rang me didn't ask me for any details, other than yes / no answers. Is your name X, are these your last 5 transactions, etc.

Either way you just made me ring them to confirm, all good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

hey folks just wondering how hardwareversand is performing I read some where the company was in trouble on here going to order a new set of head phones from them, and want to make sure its working ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, their website is working fine. But I wouldn't go near them.

It should be fine as long as you use paypal and ensure that what you order is in stock. It still feels a little soon to go back to them though. We seem to have found some better alternatives anyway.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    It should be fine as long as you use paypal and ensure that what you order is in stock. It still feels a little soon to go back to them though. We seem to have found some better alternatives anyway.

could i get a link need a new set of head phones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Saw an interesting/unusual case (email from overclockers) the Phanteks Mini XL.

Here is a review:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2015/03/09/phanteks-enthoo-mini-xl-review/1

Can house two systems (1 m-itx/ 1 matx) in the case. Would be excellent space saver potentially for one of those low powered mini sever systems (like EDE and Serpherecus put together) housed with the primary desktop.

Just thought I would stick it up as hadnt seen anything quite like it. Would definitely be something i would consider if i had the need for such a server.

Anyways some photos:
    41H6kD5XhcL.jpg
    P4830038.jpg
    4830821.jpg
    4830829.jpg
    A-Case-That-Can-Hold-Two-Computers-the-Phanteks-Enthoo-Mini-XL-469714-2.jpg

And a video

I would imagine cable management would get quite challenging with two systems and two PSUs. So whats the consensus, inspirational stroke of genius or purposeless product filling a niche that doesnt exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I would imagine cable management would get quite challenging with two systems and two PSUs. So whats the consensus, inspirational stroke of genius or purposeless product filling a niche that doesnt exist?

How wonderfully pointless and useless.

On an unrelated note, I needed a new wallpaper, so I thought to myself.

JUAsCoHl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Another not really needed upgrade on the way, swapping out my i5-4690s for i7-4790s , so theres a good deal on an 9 month old i5-4690s for sale in the for sale section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Anyone buy from Moddiy before? Stuff shipped from Hong Kong 2 weeks ago and I'm hopingfor it by Friday :) Is 2 weeks after dispatch a fair estimate for stuff comi g from HK?

Gumbi wrote: »
    Anyone buy from Moddiy before? Stuff shipped from Hong Kong 2 weeks ago and I'm hopingfor it by Friday :) Is 2 weeks after dispatch a fair estimate for stuff comi g from HK?

I've often waited much longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Danger781 wrote: »
    I've often waited much longer than that.

Even AFTER dispatch? I bought skmething fromAliexpress there a few weeks ago and it only took about 2 weeks to be delivered. Was jmlressed with that to be honest.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Even AFTER dispatch? I bought skmething fromAliexpress there a few weeks ago and it only took about 2 weeks to be delivered. Was jmlressed with that to be honest.

I've ordered a few jerseys online and they take anything up to 6 weeks for delivery - Not necessarily from Hong Kong specifically, but still..

On that note though Parcel Motel is far quicker. I've had jerseys get to me in about a week from date of purchase. Either Irish customs are extremely thorough or extremely inefficient because it's often sitting in customs for days. Getting through UK customs normally takes 1-2 days.

could i get a link need a new set of head phones. :)

Amazon not be the best option for this?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Amazon not be the best option for this?

Not really uk amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

Just bought a "Intel tuning plan" for my 5820k.
    Once the 30 day waiting period for it to be active is over i'm going to have fun putting silly voltage into it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Looks like the one to get, it will be over a grand I would think...still a better way to spend than the daft watercooled laptop they were showing :D I read on TFT central Asus UK are saying Q1 2016 for release.

Acer also announced a 35" 21:9 with G-sync & 200Hz, but a 1080p panel-probably the same panel as the BenQ 35" 144hz one. Would love to see what these look like with supersampling.

Anyone up in the air about what card vendor to go with, EVGA have the best aftersales/RMA I have ever dealt with. One of my cards was making a clinking noise at low rpm, so they shipped a replacement the same day they received mine; it landed within 8 days of starting the RMA. Proper customer service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement