Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Des Cahill and ABU

• 02-04-2015 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember Des on the morning show during the 80s and his Anyone but United spiel. Think he was a Rochdale supporter at one point. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I think that carried on into the 90s as well,I remember him being on the radio in the mornings before I went to school,and I used to think the whole Rochdale thing was a gimmick or a pisstake.He used to slag the crap out of Liverpool as well(who didn't),coz I remember Liverpool had beaten either Shelbourne or Shamrock Rovers 2-1 in some friendly match the night before,and Cahill said "At last,Liverpool have found a team they can beat...."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yes the ABU was around '94 '95.

As was the Rochdale thing.

But that did not last long after Des went to Rochdale for a game and realised how much of a dump Div 4 football was.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It was a good little gimmick for Des, it raised his profile and got a lot of attention for a while. Unusual for a Sports Presenter to be so partisan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rochdale are seen as the least successful side in Football League history, they've spent a record 78 years in total throughout their history playing in League 2, the old fourth division. I suppose the gimmick was that when most Irish fans are drawn to the big successful English league sides Des and co would do the opposite

When somebody from the show went over to watch a game the taxi driver he got at Manchester Airport had no idea where Spotland (Rochdales home ground) was. :D

• Advertisement

Rochdale are seen as the least successful side in Football League history, they've spent a record 78 years in total playing in League 2, the old fourth division. I suppose the gimmick was that when most Irish fans are drawn to the big successful English league sides Des and co would do the opposite

When somebody from the show went over to watch a game the taxi driver he got at Manchester Airport had no idea where Spotland (Rochdales home ground) was. :D

I though that was Des himself when he eventually went over to watch them

I remember him talking about it on the air.
    The taxi incident was his first lesson in how s**t Div 4 football was in 1995.
    He jumped into the cab and said "Spotland please" the driver had no clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I remember something like that, taxi driver came out with something along the lines of assuming he was a United supporter and never heard of an Irishman supporting Rochdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

This childish nonsense was mostly confined to The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show on 2FM. Thankfully, it fizzled out when Ian moved to Today FM.

I remember him describing the then United strikers Mark Hughes and Andy Cole as "Sparky and Darky"...

Classy.

Himself and Dempsey also got involved with the ownership of a greyhound called Stagalee with very little success if I recall correctly.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    This childish nonsense was mostly confined to The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show on 2FM. Thankfully, it fizzled out when Ian moved to Today FM.

I remember him describing the then United strikers Mark Hughes and Andy Cole as "Sparky and Darky"...

Classy.

Himself and Dempsey also got involved with the ownership of a greyhound called Stagalee with very little success if I recall correctly.

Friends of mine that are utd fans had the same opinion of it as you.

It used really get their gander up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought he supported West Ham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I thought he supported West Ham

I thought it was Bray Wanderers.....

Advertisement