Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DVI-D TO VGA

• 17-08-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭

Graphics card has VGA and DVI-D outputs, have tried using DVI-D to VGA connector to connect but could get no signal to screen.
    Have now read that DVI-D is digital only and cannot be connected to VGA(analog).
    Is this true? if so, what is the point of a DVI-D to VGA connector?

Any help, clarification appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I seem to remember there are actually some rare devices that can accept DVI-D signals on a VGA input like some KVM switches, that can automatically detect what type of signal is being input, but for connecting to a VGA monitor they're of no use whatsoever. Only if you have a DVI-I output can you connect to an analogue VGA monitor, but then you'll need a DVI-I to VGA adapter.

There are devices that can convert digital DVI-D signals to analogue VGA but they'll cost orders of magnitude more than the few euros a simple adapter cable will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Firblog

Can find no explanation online that's really clear cut as to what the story is.. hence the post here :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

There are 3 different types of DVI, DVI-I (Analog & digitial), DVI-A (Analog only) and DVI-D (Digital only). A DVI-D port will only work with a digital output, such as DVI to DVI or the likes of DVI->HDMI.

Nick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Your video card is DVI-I port meaning it can transmit both analog and digital signals, however a dvd-d only adapter would not be able to convert the digital signal to analog, because it cannot see the analog signal the port is transmitting as it lacks the nescessary addional pins it cannot pass that through to the vga side either.

A proper Dvi-I to vga converter or cable will do the job, which rather begs the question of what a dvd-d is even for. I presume there must be some secnario where something else has already done the digital to analogue conversion (GPUs dont convert, just send both signals simultaneously)

Edit: Actually how have you this setup? it may well actually be a DVII - VGA adapter, but you would need to plug the converter into the video card and use a VGA cable. If you plug in a DVID cable and use the adapter on the other end the cable cannot transmit the analog signal to the adapter which may well be the problem (I suspect this might be the issue)

yoyo wrote: »
    There are 3 different types of DVI, DVI-I (Analog & digitial), DVI-A (Analog only) and DVI-D (Digital only). A DVI-D port will only work with a digital output, such as DVI to DVI or the likes of DVI->HDMI.

Nick

Just wondering if that is so then what is the purpose of a DVI-D to VGA Adapter?

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Your video card is DVI-I port

Nope... It deffo has DVI-D output on the Graphics card
    marco_polo wrote: »
    which rather begs the question of what a dvd-d is even for.

My exact thoughts, and looking for enlightenment..

Someone has suggested that it DVI-D to VGA adapter could be used to extend the signal above 5m by converting to VGA, then long VGA Cable, then convert back to DVI-D at the other end again with another adapter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You certain it is only DVID many cards would have DVII although if there is already a vga port on it as ypu mentioned that might be why.

If it is only a DVID port then nothing other than an expensive standalone converter could do the job. (Not for a second suggesting you run out and buy one of course :))

http://www.startech.com/m/AV/Converters/Video/DVI-to-VGA-Converter~DVI2VGACON

Something has to convert the digital signal to analog and no cable or adapter combination is going to do that, if the card isn't giving you an analogue signal in the first place then I don't think there is much you can do.

Did a bit more reasearch and now convinced a DVID - VGA adapters do not exist and are simply misdescribed DVII adapters :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Wouldn't this be whole lot simpler if you said what video card you actually have ?

Ken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Firblog wrote: »
    Just wondering if that is so then what is the purpose of a DVI-D to VGA Adapter?

None. I'm guessing its a DVI-I/DVI-A adaptor. If it was sold as a DVI-D to VGA adaptor my guess is it is mislabeled!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    None. I'm guessing its a DVI-I/DVI-A adaptor. If it was sold as a DVI-D to VGA adaptor my guess is it is mislabeled!

Nick

Nope, I looked at all the images online for dvi-d/i/a and it's deffo a D.. the adapter that came is D too, fits snug as a bug..

As for giving the make/model of the card, I can't, owner just asked me to get adapters for it, which I did.. and of course they didn't work rolleyes.png

He's given up on the idea of dual monitors now, given the price of the converters..

• Advertisement
Advertisement