Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shock Collars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

It's true, I wasn't particularly conciliatory after having read 2 pages worth of posts basically accusing those of us who use ecollars of being cruel, abusive, lazy, incompetents who use the "tool of the devil".

Seriously, have you any idea how insulting that is to those of us who love our dogs and choose to spend a lot of time, effort and money carefully studying the proper use of ecollars, so we can give our dogs a lifetime of freedom to run off lead, and know that they are still under effective control?

Especially since this thread was started immediately after I had written lots of information, explanations, posted links to articles and videos to help show how these tools can be properly used. That just tells me that OP simply wasn't interested in finding out the truth, and probably didn't even bother her barney looking at the links I posted. If she had she might have realised that she has some thinking to do. Instead, all she wanted was to create a thread where she could see pages of people (the "your ilk" which I previously referred to) crying "Witch".

So did it make you feel better OP? To see all those people flocking to decry the tools of the Devil? Did you feel validated by that? Comfortably reassured that you won't after all have to face the distressing possibility that you may have been mistaken?

My last post was a bit offensive and I apologise. But it came following 2 pages of posts essentially levelling abuse at me (and my ilk), all from people who don't in fact understand what they're talking about.

Yes Helena, you're right that I don't condone someone buying an ecollar in a pet shop and slapping it on their dog with no training on how to use it properly. Proper training is essential when starting out with an ecollar (I would say the same thing about any training tool). But you're attacking the tool, when the problem is in fact the person using the tool. So you tar us all with the same brush.

I don't mind discussing the factual pros and cons of ecollars and their use, but what you've got here is a witch hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

TBH everyones entitled to their opinion, I asked a question in the beginning which went unanswered by those who are 'for' these collars. It was a genuine question.

It's the same as the arguement over 'do I rub my pups nose in their wee' etc. Is it cruel? to some yes, to others it's learning.

These collars, never used one myself so I'm not going to say whether I'm for or against them. I'd personally have to try it on myself and see what I thought.

Should you train horses with a riding crop?

Many questions that will always have two sides.
    I think the OP was asking for others opinions initially - as she is entitled to do so.

People then came in with 'OMG they're the worst thing ever', and others with 'you're a fool they're fine to use' and so forth.

Abuse and rudeness is not tolerated here. And I'm sick of these types of arguements arising, where the discussion becomes a tit for tat and b*tching at each other. If people want a discussion that's fine, and it's allowed, whether you agree or not, make your point, walk away if you don't like other peoples points, or make valid unpersonal counter arguements.

But a word of warning - we shall not tolerate this type of crap again. If anyone has an issue with a post or deleting of a post or whatever - A) use the report post function and/or B) pm a mod -- some of us do have lives and may not be able to respond ASAP.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jimmy I see no so called "witch hunt" going on here.And wheres the so called 2 pages of "levelling abuse at you and your ilk"?

What I see is your supposedly superior knowledge about these so called collars and you refusing to accept that some people dont agree with the use of them and in doing so insulting users and the forum itself.

Ive just gotten around to reading some of your comments about the users of this forum and the forum itself and honestly if thats the way you feel then dont use the forum and go post somewhere else with like minded "ilk" of your own who feel superior to people who ask genuine questions about their animals.

Bond was way too nice to you earlier today--If I had seen them earlier I would have banned you for some of those comments.

This forum has always been lets say "new animal owner" friendly and the rules are that all questions even ones that may sound ridiculous to someone with your superior knowledge must be answered in a friendly and non judgemental way.And that didint happen in this thread.

So consider this a first and only warning.

While I welcome input from any qualified dog trainer the way in which the input is given makes a huge difference to the way this forum runs and I think you need to be more lets say friendly in giving advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

star-pants wrote: »
    May I ask - would you use one on a child?

You say this question was unanswered well from my point of view it's a little ridiculous.

Would you let you child sleep in a kennel in the garden ?.
    Would you let your child sniff another child's nether regions ?.

Children are not dogs & vice versa. If your child was about to run out into a busy road would you gently call the child or grab to pull it back ?. You might severely bruise it's arm so are you guilty of cruelty ?. Some dogs especially those that have been trained to chase have a very strong chase reflex. This can endanger them, cats, wildlife, motorists etc.

The accepted answer in the sighthound community is that these dogs must never be let off lead. Most sighthound rescues make it a condition of rehoming. As the owner of a chasing sighthound ( I have another that doesn't chase) I would love to be able to let the dog run off lead. I have never used an electronic collar on the dog but I have felt the shock from one . I am still researching but if I thought that two or three shocks could mean that the dog can enjoy running off lead could be a better option for the long term welfare of the dog & that's all that matters.

Another factor is that no matter how carefully a sighthound is walked there is always the possibility of an escape or leash slip. I would love to know that if ever that did happen that the dog would recall.

There has been talk here of opinions given by & about trainers. Anyone from the doggy community will know that this is a huge bone of contention. There are so many different schools of training & they all think that they are exclusively right, including the one who guaranteed that my sighthound would recall - it ran off, only stopping to laugh at the trainer.

As with anything else to do with animals do your research & form your own opinions. Don't accept information just because it comes from a so called expert - even Vets can get it wrong.

I believe that electronic collars are wrong for any unsupervised training for example bark prevention but that they can be justified in certain cases. As for electronic fences, they can never be a replacement for a proper fence & they can never be 100% reliable. But they can increase the security of a dog especially an escape artist of digger & they can give a dog a much greater area & freedom when supervised. For example as a secondary protection on a driveway gate. But they MUST be correctly installed & operated & the dog must be trained to the system.

In Ireland these fences are retailed by shops for self install. In the UK most are sold by trained reps who supervise install & training which is the better option.

+1 Discodog, you're always so level headed. And very right on this point IMO.

There does of course need to be some modicum of respect from both sides of any debate too.

You know that I respect you !.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    You say this question was unanswered well from my point of view it's a little ridiculous.

Would you let you child sleep in a kennel in the garden ?.
    Would you let your child sniff another child's nether regions ?.

Children are not dogs & vice versa. If your child was about to run out into a busy road would you gently call the child or grab to pull it back ?. You might severely bruise it's arm so are you guilty of cruelty ?. Some dogs especially those that have been trained to chase have a very strong chase reflex. This can endanger them, cats, wildlife, motorists etc.

I don't believe it to be ridiculous - I was asking because would you use it on a human, i.e. does it cause pain. Children are not dogs and vice versa, I am well aware. As people were suggesting you use it as a training aid. You train puppies, you train children. Different methods in somethings, in others it's the same types of method, like toilet training. Praise for going in the right place and so forth.

As I said - this thread was allowing discussion and questions to be asked. I asked a question, just because you personally deem it to be ridiculous does not mean it's invalid.

Regarding these collars - as said by others, if they're being used they need to be used by the right people in the right circumstance, who have been trained on how /when to use them. There would be a lot of people out there who use them wrongly and for the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

As the owner of a chasing sighthound ( I have another that doesn't chase) I would love to be able to let the dog run off lead. I have never used an electronic collar on the dog but I have felt the shock from one . I am still researching but if I thought that two or three shocks could mean that the dog can enjoy running off lead could be a better option for the long term welfare of the dog & that's all that matters.

Another factor is that no matter how carefully a sighthound is walked there is always the possibility of an escape or leash slip. I would love to know that if ever that did happen that the dog would recall.

I have two retired greyhounds and both are trained to return to a whistle when off the lead. Now if they saw a cat or rabbit while off the lead it may be a different story, but if they see a person or another dog they will ignore it. Neither have ever been subjected to an electric collar and there is no need to use one to train a dog.

Like I said before it is a lazy alternative to proper training.

Should you train horses with a riding crop?

Horses are not trained with a crop. Crops are only used on full trained horses as a back up to the leg aid when the horse to not responding correctly. They are not used as punishment or as a training aid, only a back up to the leg. Beginner riders are never given a crop.

Only jockeys actually whip horses, a practice which I believe should be banned.

And I have accidently hit myself in the leg instead of the horses flank before and I was not fazed by it, so I doubt a 2000 pound horse would be either.

The great thing about someone being cruel to a horse while on its back is if you piss off a horse, your gonna be on the ground pretty soon.

Well, I know I wouldn't like to get lemon juice in my eye! :D

It is not lemon juice, it is lemon scented air. Like what comes out of your glade air freshener. And it is a far kinder alternative than a shock collar for a lazy owner.

Horses are not trained with a crop. Crops are only used on full trained horses as a back up to the leg aid when the horse to not responding correctly. They are not used as punishment or as a training aid, only a back up to the leg. Beginner riders are never given a crop.

Sorry that wasn't actually a genuine question, I just sort of randomly thought of it, but there, as you said (and probably more what I meant) was about jockeys whipping horses, some will be for, some will be against. I meant it to illustrate there will always be two sides to these views.
    And yes I saw a girl who well deserved the kick in the thigh she got from a horse, she was damned lucky though.

Also I don't think you should call people 'lazy owners' - they may be very active and participating owners, just because you disagree with their training methods does not make them a lazy owner.

• Advertisement

Having tested one several times I do not think it painful. Electronic training collars have an adjustable setting for the level of shock. All the manuals for these collars stress that the setting must never be set high enough to cause the dog to yelp or show signs of distress. Some here know me & my dogs. They would testify that I would never inflict pain. The point was that in an emergency you would restrain a child first & then worry about whether you had hurt it.

I have shared many gardens with dogs wearing e-fence collars & I have never known one to get a shock. Most don't even get close enough to get a warning tone. Some fence collars emit a loud chatter & vibration if the animal gets too close. In a correctly installed setup the distance between warning & shock will be decreased as the animal learns the boundary.

I even know of a highly prized Burmese cat who has a specially modified & miniaturised e-collar. It allows him to have the run of a garden & two rooftops in central London. He never gets a shock. Now would it be kinder to keep him indoors or in a outdoor cage ?

Contrary to some of the advice it would appear that some who had deemed electronic collars as unexceptable are now hinting that they can be in certain circumstances which is what Jimmyn & I have been saying. There are never black & white answers.

Good news the Kiwi has been saved from extinction. Bad news they have to shoot or trap every potential predator for miles. Which is best ?.

Also I don't think you should call people 'lazy owners' - they may be very active and participating owners, just because you disagree with their training methods does not make them a lazy owner.

I called them that because I see collars such as shock collars or lemon burst collars as quick fixes and I don't understand why people would just use them if they were willing to put in the time it takes to train a dog without the use of such aids.

Why someone would choose a method that causes an animal distress over a method based on mutual trust and a bond between dog and owner, unless they wanted a quick fix, hence why I called them lazy, but I understand your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

jimmyn wrote: »
    Seriously, have you any idea how insulting that is to those of us who love our dogs and choose to spend a lot of time, effort and money carefully studying the proper use of ecollars, so we can give our dogs a lifetime of freedom to run off lead, and know that they are still under effective control?

Especially since this thread was started immediately after I had written lots of information, .
    EXACTLY! You had a post in a thread, which made sense. It didn't change my mind, but got me curious. I started a new thread, outlining my questions "is it ever ok to use pain to train etc" stating my limited exposure to the shock collar "I know of a woman whos dog...." and giving my negative opinion on them "I can't understand.....". I did not insult anybody and in fact thanked one of your posts explaining something. Granted some responses were OTT but they were NOT FROM ME, there was no need to go attacking me and calling me names like that. To be perfectly honest, any sway you may have had on me and my opinion (and you did make some good points) was lost among the bile and agression.

I called them that because I see collars such as shock collars or lemon burst collars as quick fixes and I don't understand why people would just use them if they were willing to put in the time it takes to train a dog without the use of such aids.

Why someone would choose a method that causes an animal distress over a method based on mutual trust and a bond between dog and owner, unless they wanted a quick fix, hence why I called them lazy, but I understand your point.

Maybe some people have found that with certain dogs mutual trust & bond doesn't work for chase recall.

Helen: Jimmyn has apologised - you could tell him to donate a tenner to your favourite rescue as penance !. I have been called exactly the same on these boards & no one has leapt to my defence. Can't have anything to do with you being a nice girly ......can it ?.

Helena: Jimmyn has apologised - you could tell him to donate a tenner to your favourite rescue as penance !. I have been called exactly the same on these boards & no one has leapt to my defence. Can't have anything to do with you being a nice girly ......can it ?.

Jimmyn "apologised" then had another pop at me in that post. I'm not talking about how the post was dealt with, and if you have a problem with the mods stepping in over a poster calling another names in a post or insulting the forum, then perhaps you should take it up with them? From what I have seen, any abusive posts are quickly deleted. And if jimmyn was referring to a particular post of mine fair enough, but he wasn't, he had a go at me for others peoples posts.

Also, my last post on this was to tell jimmyn how I believe he got the wrong end of the stick with regards to my intentions in starting this thread and to make sure my intentions were clear. I wasn't looking for an apology or having a go at him so no need for you to step in defending him.

Sorry Helena I was trying to be a little light hearted which appears to be impossible on here. I will return to another land where one can discuss e-collars all day without upset & a little frivolity is welcomed.

I originally posted in Feedback asking for this forum to be set up - Oh dear !

Well if I was a little oversensitive to your post I'm sorry, but, silly as it may seem over an internet thing, I'm still smarting over how I was insulted today. If I do something which deserves a kickback then fine, I can hold my own and have done on the forum before. But that was not justified at all and it upset me I mean really... :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have put a shock collar on my own throat, out of curiousity, and set it off at the maximum setting and it does not hurt. It creates a sensation like an intense vibration. I think they are called shock collars as in they give a shock like "Oh I didn't see you standing there you gave me a shock" rather than electric shock.

I don't use them as I have looked into them and they seem too much like hard work. Especially as I have very food orientated dogs and it's easier to offer them the option of returning to me for a treat. But I wouldn't rule them out if I ever have a really large garden, as one of my dogs has no problem springing over a 6ft wall.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Oh and spray collars don't use citrus, they use citronella. It's an oil derived from lemongrass and other similar grass plants. It's got nothing to do with oranges, lemons, limes, etc. Citronella has insect repellent qualities, so I guess that dogs show dislike for it too as it's used in these collars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

. And by the way, almost all top competitive working dog trainers use these collars. Any that work in the real world that is. Schutzhund, field trials, sheep trials, even SAR.

Hmmm ...I wonder how all those shepherds, cattle drovers and flock guardians got their dogs to work with them before batteries were invented?

But the clue to the answer lies within your quote:

competitive

These people weren't. They had time to train their dogs properly, they had time to be with them 24/7, from puppyhood until they died and they knew how to work with dogs.

Not like today, where a dog is a companion for a few hours after work, otherwise left to its own devices.
    Or worse ...where the dog is "sport" equipment, that gets zapped via remote control from pointless training excercise to pointless training excercise weekend after weekend in the hope of winning some even more pointless medal at the end of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

And if jimmyn was referring to a particular post of mine fair enough, but he wasn't, he had a go at me for others peoples posts.

That's true, I did. I've been reading back through this thread, and I see that the posts that hurt me the most were actually not from Helena. They were from other posters, Jenniebabz, and such. Helena, you got the brunt of it because you seemed to be spearheading the campaign against ecollars.

Your original post asking are they cruel and is it ever acceptable to use pain to teach, seemed to me to be a loaded question to generate anti-ecollar sentiment, never allowing for the possibility that proper ecollar training is not about using pain for compliance. This was my assumption, and if I was wrong in that, then I am truly sorry. I came here to inform, not to fight, but try to understand the frustration in those of us who use ecollars properly and face an onslaught of posts in every internet forum telling us how cruel and abusive we are. Only this week I was told I am too soft on my dog and need to get stricter on him!

Helena, I've been pretty upset myself the last couple of days knowing that I upset you. If you were genuinely searching for more information (it's so hard to tell these things on the internet), then I am sincerely sorry.

So on to business...

Peasant had a valid point before about avoiding bad associations. My experience is with remote training collars, not bark collars or fences, so I'll answer in that capacity.

Whenever a "shock" (I prefer the word "stim" - it's more accurate) is delivered to my dog, it is because I pressed a button on the remote. I alone have control over when my dog is stimmed. If a child or another dog comes along, I will not press the button. This is more of a problem when using old-fashioned high stim methods, not the modern low stim techniques, but why take the risk? I can make an exception on this if I know the dog is "collar literate", and knows what the stim means. The dog won't make a false association then.
    Hmmm ...I wonder how all those shepherds, cattle drovers and flock guardians got their dogs to work with them before batteries were invented?

I never said an ecollar was necessary to train a dog. Dogs have been trained for a long time without them. Traditionally, choke collars etc would have been used. Sure they work. But in inexperienced hands (like most owners), they can injure a dog. You can't physically injure a dog with an ecollar. Even a prong collar is safer than a choke chain.
    They had time to train their dogs properly, they had time to be with them 24/7, from puppyhood until they died

You know, I'm pretty jealous of anyone who has that kind of time these days. Most of us have to work for a living. That's how the doggie food gets paid for. I think most dog lovers would love to be with their dogs 24/7, from puppyhood until they died. Unfortunately, that's not possible for most of us.
    Or worse ...where the dog is "sport" equipment, that gets zapped via remote control from pointless training excercise to pointless training excercise weekend after weekend in the hope of winning some even more pointless medal at the end of it all.

I think you do a disservice here to people who want to do things with their dogs. All dogs love having a "job" to do. In fact a lot of breeds really need that. I don't think any training exercise is pointless. It might seem pointless to us, but it's pretty important to a dog who needs to work. I think you'll find the dogs who get this treatment are happy, satisfied and well behaved. Take a border collie for example - if you don't work this breed they will go pure nuts on you out of frustration.

I think this thread has left the realm where anyone can ask genuine questions about how ecollars are properly used, without becoming an argument about humaneness and cruelty. I'm thinking of starting a new thread intended simply to answer questions to get the information out there for anyone who's interested in researching the method. No sparring contests. Anyone interested in that?

Ok Jimmy. I appreciate you saying that. I started the thread following a post of yours in another thread which got me wondering, it was bcause your post seemed level headed and informational that I asked, not to have a go. Unfortunately, collars are not always used by people who know what they are doing, and do cause pain (hence my training question). I still maintain that imo it's not the best way of doing things unless absolutely necessary. I think props are rarely a good idea, even using food as a prop all the time can lead to problems and I think the goal of anybody training a dog should be to have the dog follow instruction, without the use of any props. (please see my questions below, you might be able to clear that up for me)

I don't think there is any need to start a new thread TBH.

My experience with collars so far has been, as example in first post, woman puts collar on dog (to prevent barking), dog goes to the toilet on the floor, I know one golden retriver who has a bald patch on it's neck because of use of the collar. Granted it could be due to overuse, but it still happened. Besides this, my knowledge of it comes from various programmes and literature. All of it negative.

On the other hand, I have seen how with the right approach, you can control a team of dogs with the nod of a head. And no need for any props.(when I say team I mean 2 terriers and 2 sighthounds, usually no more than that). I genuinely can't see the point, in day to day training. (as I said, cases where the dog is likely to bolt, for dogs safety etc is understandable)

Jimmy, can you explain to me, is it used as correctional only and does the dog get a warning first?
    How do you react if the dog learns to ignore the collar?
    If you use a collar to teach your dog recall, and the dog somehow escapes, does recall still work?

This may seem like a silly question but I'll ask anyway. Say you are teaching your dog something new, for argument sake, to stop running and stand, how do you do this? At what point does the collar come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

iguana wrote: »
    Oh and spray collars don't use citrus, they use citronella. It's an oil derived from lemongrass and other similar grass plants. It's got nothing to do with oranges, lemons, limes, etc. Citronella has insect repellent qualities, so I guess that dogs show dislike for it too as it's used in these collars.

I still like satsumas.

Peasant had a valid point before about avoiding bad associations. My experience is with remote training collars, not bark collars or fences, so I'll answer in that capacity.

Whenever a "shock" (I prefer the word "stim" - it's more accurate) is delivered to my dog, it is because I pressed a button on the remote. I alone have control over when my dog is stimmed. If a child or another dog comes along, I will not press the button. This is more of a problem when using old-fashioned high stim methods, not the modern low stim techniques, but why take the risk? I can make an exception on this if I know the dog is "collar literate", and knows what the stim means. The dog won't make a false association then.

There we have another fundamental problem with collar training, (well actually any training that uses gadgets, be they zappers or clickers or whatever.)

What happens when the dog isn't wearing the collar?
    Dogs aren't stupid, they know where the "stim" comes from and sooner or later they'll figure out that no collar = no "stim". More enterprising dogs quickly tend to "forget" all training once they realise that the boss has no button to press today :D

I never said an ecollar was necessary to train a dog. Dogs have been trained for a long time without them. Traditionally, choke collars etc would have been used. Sure they work. But in inexperienced hands (like most owners), they can injure a dog. You can't physically injure a dog with an ecollar. Even a prong collar is safer than a choke chain.

Isn't it a bit telling that in your mind the alternative to not having a shock collar is to use a choke collar or a prong chain?
    How about neither?

You know, I'm pretty jealous of anyone who has that kind of time these days. Most of us have to work for a living. That's how the doggie food gets paid for. I think most dog lovers would love to be with their dogs 24/7, from puppyhood until they died. Unfortunately, that's not possible for most of us.

I think you do a disservice here to people who want to do things with their dogs. All dogs love having a "job" to do. In fact a lot of breeds really need that. I don't think any training exercise is pointless. It might seem pointless to us, but it's pretty important to a dog who needs to work. I think you'll find the dogs who get this treatment are happy, satisfied and well behaved. Take a border collie for example - if you don't work this breed they will go pure nuts on you out of frustration.

See ..there's a difference between "doing things" with your dog and training them for Schutzhund, field trials, competetive herding or whatever.

Working dogs need to work, on that I agree.
    I do have provisos though. A normal family dog won't do security work and it'll only ever see sheep while leashed. Unless you actually live and work with your dog 24/7 there is no point in "upskilling" it to do a job that it will never actually work in ...it's pointless (apart from the competetive element ..and that, to the dog, is also pointless)
    There are many fun training excercises you can do with your working breed that will keep its mind and body occupied. None of these have to be competitive and none of these need exact precision or quick training sucesses from the word go.
    Once you remove the competitive element and do it for fun instead, you can work at the dogs' pace, you and the dog can get in tune with each other and there is no need for brute force.

If you accept the fact that in modern society the time spent with your dog is short enough ...why waste most of it by training it to be something that is of no use to man nor beast these days.

Leave the hard training to the professionals that actually work their dogs ...have fun with your dog instead, learn to communicate with each other without buttons and throw that damn shock collar away.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I still like satsumas.

Unhelpful or off-topic posts are not needed.
    Also Jimmy - I think this thread is fine now, there's been in the last page or so good ontopic posting so I see no reason to start another thread. People can ask questions in this one if they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

peasant wrote: »
    If you accept the fact that in modern society the time spent with your dog is short enough ...why waste most of it by training it to be something that is of no use to man nor beast these days.

Leave the hard training to the professionals that actually work their dogs ...have fun with your dog instead, learn to communicate with each other without buttons and throw that damn shock collar away.

i'm sorry - have to disagree with this, all dogs where at one point working dogs, and as such they need the stimulation of the simulation of training, if you just "play" with your dog and don't stimulate it's desire to learn i see that as being cruel - i'm not entering into the debate on how

Paul91 wrote: »
    stimulate it's desire to learn

I know you don't want to enter into a debate but thats a very interesting point. When you talk about training, do you mean the usual obedience training? I know it's pretty apparant when your dog is learning something that they are enjoying it. You can nearly see the penny drop when they get the hang of something. :D But, I'm talking about simple "tricks" like finding something, or carrying a note (yes I know I'm that lazy we are trying to teach Harley to carry messages around the house). I get the impression you mean more intense work though.

Say for a pet, like mine, who is a very physical dog, what type of "working" do you think I should be providing? I would have thought that obedience in the house and some tricks, coupled with walks and hiking on weekends, would suffice. Now I'm wondering if we should be doing a bit more, like maybe getting him a backpack so he feels he has a job. Or, when walking, is his "job" to simply to walk with us and explore, or would he need more?

The above sounds very jumbled, I can't quite phrase my question properly. Hopefully you will know what I mean.

Paul91 wrote: »
    i'm sorry - have to disagree with this, all dogs where at one point working dogs, and as such they need the stimulation of the simulation of training, if you just "play" with your dog and don't stimulate it's desire to learn i see that as being cruel - i'm not entering into the debate on how

Nowhere did I say that you shouldn't stimulate your dog. There are many things you can teach your dog, you can involve new things on every walk, if you put your mind to it.
    I just don't see the point in putting your dog through rigid training for Schutzhund or Herding for example when you neither are a member of the police force nor a shepherd ...especially not if the training for these "skills" involves shock collars and/or any other brute force methods.

I know you don't want to enter into a debate but thats a very interesting point. When you talk about training, do you mean the usual obedience training? I know it's pretty apparant when your dog is learning something that they are enjoying it. You can nearly see the penny drop when they get the hang of something. :D But, I'm talking about simple "tricks" like finding something, or carrying a note (yes I know I'm that lazy we are trying to teach Harley to carry messages around the house). I get the impression you mean more intense work though.

Say for a pet, like mine, who is a very physical dog, what type of "working" do you think I should be providing? I would have thought that obedience in the house and some tricks, coupled with walks and hiking on weekends, would suffice. Now I'm wondering if we should be doing a bit more, like maybe getting him a backpack so he feels he has a job. Or, when walking, is his "job" to simply to walk with us and explore, or would he need more?

The above sounds very jumbled, I can't quite phrase my question properly. Hopefully you will know what I mean.

I think I do ;) what I mean is, a dog is a creature, and like all creatures it needs a role in life or a purpose, whether that is to pass notes around the house, heard sheep on the farm, protect the home from intruders or simply go for a walk to earn it's food (how many people feed there dog before walking as opposed to after? i feed my two after as i feel this is more in keeping with nature, they go out on the hunt and then eat - they wouldn't eat then hunt would they?)

now if you are not teaching or training your dog something new at regular intervals, it's likely to get bored, like most of us humans who have to perform repetitive tasks

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Nowhere did I say that you shouldn't stimulate your dog. There are many things you can teach your dog, you can involve new things on every walk, if you put your mind to it.
    I just don't see the point in putting your dog through rigid training for Schutzhund or Herding for example when you neither are a member of the police force nor a shepherd ...especially not if the training for these "skills" involves shock collars and/or any other brute force methods.

i don't want to open an argument, I’ve recently started looking at Schutzhund training, as i feel my dogs need more stimulation than i am currently giving, they crave the hunt, they see/smell cats and you can almost feel there hearts beat faster through their leash, they crave the chase, so i feel that Schutzhund and the tracking training could fill this void for them (that or leave them chase cats - which i wouldn't do!) no where in what i have read have "brute" force methods been utilized, and to be honest i am against them, but that doesn't mean the training itself is wrong

Advertisement