Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Cutex wrote: »
    Well I'm out of action at the moment and it's killing me!!! Am dying to get out for a run but really need to get my leg healed up or could lead to runners knee

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully a few days rest will set you straight. After being sick recently and not able to do anything, much less run, I know how frustrating it is!
    Younganne wrote: »
    didn't get to do my run yesterday after all so heaading out now at lunch, TG the wind and rain have died down!!!

I was in the Phoenix Park yesterday at lunch time and the wind was unbelievable! Huge difference in my 5 mile splits when wind was at my back versus in my face! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Thanks Anne, Bob & Aoife - you've cheered me up

Maybe I won't get out Xmas morning - too much excitement, definitely the 26ththough - fingers & toes crossed:)

Can't wait for santa to come, if I don't get back running soon I'll be rolling around the streets with my garmin, can't stop comforting eating:rolleyes:

Ps I'm going to be soooooooo disappointed if OH doesn't have a garmin for me Xmas morning although plan b is just go get it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Cutex wrote: »
    Thanks Anne, Bob & Aoife - you've cheered me up

Maybe I won't get out Xmas morning - too much excitement, definitely the 26ththough - fingers & toes crossed:)

Can't wait for santa to come, if I don't get back running soon I'll be rolling around the streets with my garmin, can't stop comforting eating:rolleyes:

Ps I'm going to be soooooooo disappointed if OH doesn't have a garmin for me Xmas morning although plan b is just go get it myself

:D not sure back running will help you tho - it's December so too many treats around. I'm running but still rolling around the streets - must learn some self discipline :rolleyes:. No point starting till Jan tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

i'll be eating & drinking plenty so mileage will have to increase to maintain, never mind lose :rolleyes:

Ye the wind in the park can be very bad at times Run44...i usually run lunch times tue - thur in d Park...North road heading for Chesterfield Ave is very open so can be very hard.... might meet you some day...probably meet you already but don't know you....i say hi to every runner i met but i dont always get a response from people...that Irish friendliness is disappearing:confused:

Went out today and did the interval plan from yesterday and have to say i really enjoyed it...of course i went far too fast for the first few...if i couls do 5K at that pace i'd be a very happy bunny...but i slowed them down then, (didn't have much choice:eek:) and was much more comfortable for the last few...finished with jog cool down so over all i did

4.01min @10.17/146bpm --- 1.00min @7.08.171bpm

4.00min @10.08/164bpm --- 1.00 min @7.36/178bpm

4.00 min @10.25/166bpm --- 1.10min@8.51/173bpm (unable to go any faster & the wind didn't help :rolleyes:)

4.04min@10.47/167bpm --- 1.15min@7.45/173bpm

4.05min@10.06/156bpm --- 1.02min@7.57/167bpm

4.01min@10.06/157bpm --- 1.00min@8.09/167bpm

7.35@10.15/159

Overall 3.92m@9.47/161bpm = 38.19min
    Have to say really enjoyed it and its great to start getting a bit of variety:D

Plan for the rest of the week is Kettlebells tonight, 5m tomorrow, 60min sat & cross/rest Sun(depends on head after party Sat night.:eek:)

(Note to self...find Zero tabs);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

i'll be eating & drinking plenty so mileage will have to increase to maintain, never mind lose :rolleyes:

Ye the wind in the park can be very bad at times Run44...i usually run lunch times tue - thur in d Park...North road heading for Chesterfield Ave is very open so can be very hard.... might meet you some day...probably meet you already but don't know you....i say hi to every runner i met but i dont always get a response from people...that Irish friendliness is disappearing:confused:

Went out today and did the interval plan from yesterday and have to say i really enjoyed it...of course i went far too fast for the first few...if i couls do 5K at that pace i'd be a very happy bunny...but i slowed them down then, (didn't have much choice:eek:) and was much more comfortable for the last few...finished with jog cool down so over all i did

4.01min @10.17/146bpm --- 1.00min @7.08.171bpm

4.00min @10.08/164bpm --- 1.00 min @7.36/178bpm

4.00 min @10.25/166bpm --- 1.10min@8.51/173bpm (unable to go any faster & the wind didn't help :rolleyes:)

4.04min@10.47/167bpm --- 1.15min@7.45/173bpm

4.05min@10.06/156bpm --- 1.02min@7.57/167bpm

4.01min@10.06/157bpm --- 1.00min@8.09/167bpm

7.35@10.15/159

Overall 3.92m@9.47/161bpm = 38.19min
    Have to say really enjoyed it and its great to start getting a bit of variety:D

Plan for the rest of the week is Kettlebells tonight, 5m tomorrow, 60min sat & cross/rest Sun(depends on head after party Sat night.:eek:)

(Note to self...find Zero tabs);)

Good going there anne. Speed sessions are great for a bit of variety alright. I am looking forward to getting back into them after waterford... should really have been doing them for waterford but legs were still recovering from the marathon thats my excuse and i am sticking to it ;)
    Let me know how the zero tabs work for you in your other extra curricular activity outside of running ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Cheers everyone for the good wishes. Did another 3 miles yesterday evening and I felt quiet comfortable did them in around the 9.30 - 10.00 mile pace. Think I might give the auld 1.49 a go since its the last run of the year sure I can always fall back if its to much.

Nules are you doing 10 mins tomorrow I would be afraid I would get injured but I might give it a go, try something new.

Hey Dave yep going to do 10mins tomorrow. Was talking to my Pt who is a runner and he highly recommends it as it flushes out toxins from the legs and has them fresh for the next day. 10 mins nice and easy sure what harm can it do ;) (I may have just jinxed myself :rolleyes:)
    Good luck with the 1:49 I am sure you will do it you seem back on form. I am chickening out of sub 2 :)

Go on give it a go. Sure what harm would it do. If it fails just fall back. That my philosophy and I am sticking by it.:). Will I get to meet Nules down there.

Go on give it a go. Sure what harm would it do. If it fails just fall back. That my philosophy and I am sticking by it.:). Will I get to meet Nules down there.

You could be showered and in the pub by the time I finish ;) yes hopefully to say hello. Assume you will be back at the club house afterwards or wherever it is everyone goes for these rocky roads I keep hearing about. You better save me one hopefully I will be 10mins behind you ;)

Yeah will probably head back there for a while alright. I bet you we wont be that far apart .

• Advertisement

Here's hoping. Shall I just go around shouting redfacedave in the hall to find you :D;) I am sure all the boards crowd gravitate towards each other somehow.

Don't know anyone from the boards crew:) so was hoping you would. Will have on a blue hoodie and addidas bottoms and a rose in my hands. :). If you are around before hand I should be there at 11 could see you then

Yep know a few of them alright. I should be down myself for around 11. I will keep an eye out for you. Typical woman I don't know what outfit to wear yet :D but I am a red head so that might narrow it down for you a bit. Or how about main entrance at 11.15ish ( in case I am late :o)

Grand job main entrance to the dressing rooms at 11.15 sorted. Looking forward to the race now

Best of luck tomorrow guys! Enjoy it :)

Nules & Dave best of luck tomorrow...i kinda wish i was doing it now:eek:...going to aim for the half marathon on March 4th in Bohermeen

Best of luck to you both...Nules go for it, it just might be your day...but you'll never know till you try!!!:D

just went for my 5m today...my body knows it was doing kettlebells last night(we did over 1000 reps) so feeling very sluggish today. I decided not to look at the Garmin and just go at an easy pace. Went up North Rd to Chesterfield Ave and OMG the wind & the cold:eek:, decided to turn right & head for Castleknock gate and there was a nice gentle wind, turned at Castleknock gate to head back and it was like i was in a different country..no wind and i could feel the heat in the sun:D, so i stayed on Chesterfield ave to the end....
    checked splits when i can back and think i must run more often without looking at the Garmin...

m1=10.09/152
    m2=10.15/162
    m3=10.17/156
    m4=10.09/153
    m5=10.09/155
    delight i went out and didn't postpone till later!!!
    think i might rest tomorrow and do the 60mins on Sunday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

just went for my 5m today...my body knows it was doing kettlebells last night(we did over 1000 reps) so feeling very sluggish today. I decided not to look at the Garmin and just go at an easy pace. Went up North Rd to Chesterfield Ave and OMG the wind & the cold:eek:, decided to turn right & head for Castleknock gate and there was a nice gentle wind, turned at Castleknock gate to head back and it was like i was in a different country..no wind and i could feel the heat in the sun:D, so i stayed on Chesterfield ave to the end....
    checked splits when i can back and think i must run more often without looking at the Garmin...

m1=10.09/152
    m2=10.15/162
    m3=10.17/156
    m4=10.09/153
    m5=10.09/155
    delight i went out and didn't postpone till later!!!
    think i might rest tomorrow and do the 60mins on Sunday!!

Good stuff Anne, you're in flying form. You stock up on the zero tabs :D

Well done Anne. Great even splits there, that is something I struggle with. I am sitting here eating a big bowl of pasta:( didn't think I would have to do this again so close to the last time

Exact same thought went through my head. I normally love pasta but not tonight and I am sipping a nice glass of ice cold water :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just had the cold glass of bainne. I hate pasta ever since the marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just had the cold glass of bainne. I hate pasta ever since the marathon.

If you don't like pasta don't eat it. Pasta won't make you go any faster, you can get carbs from rice, potatoes, fruit, vegetables etc...I hate pasta too, never eat the stuff.

Very true menoscemo never even thought of it. Just needed something quick this evening. So would you have rice with what, a 3 in 1:)

Very true menoscemo never even thought of it. Just needed something quick this evening. So would you have rice with what, a 3 in 1:)

Carb loading is over rated. I would just have my normal dinner. Chicken/pork/beef with rice, potatoes, noodles whatever... Have a slightly larger portion of the carbs before a marathon, for a half there's not even any need to do that.

Really so you would have your normal dinner and all the while I am eating bloody pasta and would you have the same full dinner before a marathon only bigger. Out of all the articles that I have read they all say you should be carb loading for anything over 10 miles. That's very interesting

Really so you would have your normal dinner and all the while I am eating bloody pasta and would you have the same full dinner before a marathon only bigger. Out of all the articles that I have read they all say you should be carb loading for anything over 10 miles. That's very interesting

All I can say is that the one and only time I carbloaded (first marathon) i ate loads of pasta and felt as sick as a dog on the startline. I still hit the wall :pac:
    I have never hit the wall since and that includes running a few Ultras.

AFAIK the body naturally stores enough glycogen to last you about 18miles (about 2000-2500kcal for a male) after that, no amount of carbs you eat will be stored as glycogen. If your glycogen levels are already full you'll just store it as fat. A normal diet containing carbs will keep your glycogen topped up (unless you are vigourously excercising the days before your goal race).

I think it is more important to:
    a) teach your body to burn fat as a fuel source
    b) learn to take on fuel (gels etc) during your Long races
    to avoid hitting the wall.

Just got back from the AWARE 5 miler. Was a cold one but great fun! We were warned before we started that some parts of the route could be icy and slippy so I just thought, ah well, there goes any chance of a PB. But, somehow, I managed a PB besting my previous time by a minute and finishing in 42mins. Of course, it helps that my last 5 miler was six months ago! Very happy with that anyway and looking forward to a day curled up on the couch! :)

Hope all goes well for Nules and Dave in the half. Can't wait to read your race reports!

Well all finished in 1 51 new pb by 1 minute over the moon but i am so tired will give ye full report tomorrow and i didnt get to meet nules thanks again for all the good wishes well done to all doing aware

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

run44 wrote: »
    But, somehow, I managed a PB besting my previous time by a minute and finishing in 42mins

Well done girl. You must be thrilled. I was up in the park this morning and there was a really good atmosphere about. Hope you enjoyed it. Enjoy the day on the couch :)

• Advertisement

Well all finished in 1 51 new pb by 1 minute over the moon but i am so tired will give ye full report tomorrow and i didnt get to meet nules thanks again for all the good wishes well done to all doing aware
    Well done dave. I can't believe you stood me up :mad:;) I was at the front door at 11:20 with another girl we were standing inside. Next time. No sub 2 for me but a pb of 2:02xx?? was a lovely day for a run :)

Advertisement