Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Car-Parking

• 08-11-2007 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I noticed recently having visited a friend in Tallaght Hospital and paid for the privilage of parking there, and then as I was passing Cloverhill prison on the way home I noticed visitor car parking there is free.
    Is this mad or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Government built the prison carpark, hospital carpark was likely build by europark, or whatever they're called

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Free parking in prisons? Them convicts get it all handed out to them :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Land isn't at a massive premium down the Cloverhill Road - although someone did build apartments right beside the prison :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

MYOB wrote: »
    Land isn't at a massive premium down the Cloverhill Road - although someone did build apartments right beside the prison :eek:

and the halting site!

lots of cops use it for the court there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nuttzz wrote: »
    and the halting site!

lots of cops use it for the court there

Why could the cops use the halting site as a car park?

I always wondered why people built aparments there. Not sure if I'd be too keen to live there but who knows could be a nice place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

The point is...some poor kid gets knocked down and it's parents and friends have to pay to visit the kid, some toss-pot decides to knock off a bank,gets caught and his parents and frinds can visit him free of charge. f**kin' disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

juuge wrote: »
    The point is...some poor kid gets knocked down and it's parents and friends have to pay to visit the kid, some toss-pot decides to knock off a bank,gets caught and his parents and frinds can visit him free of charge. f**kin' disgraceful.

And loads of idiots got shopping in Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown and get free parking. Therefore shopping = prison visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

And loads of idiots got shopping in Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown and get free parking. Therefore shopping = prison visits.

i'd prefer a prison visit to spending a saturday afternoon in b&q...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nice logical argument there

No in is forced to park there. If people dont want to pay for the car parking use public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

kearnsr wrote: »
    Nice logical argument there

No in is forced to park there. If people dont want to pay for the car parking use public transport.

A son of a neighbour of mine in west wicklow was knocked down recently and taken to Tallaght where he later died. Do you suggest the parents should have taken the bus?

• Advertisement

A son of a neighbour of mine in west wicklow was knocked down recently and taken to Tallaght where he later died. Do you suggest the parents should have taken the bus?

No they could have parked.

A couple of euro in that context wouldnt be much in that context would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Guys,
    If you have a relative in hospital for a period of time , this puts a serious strain on the finances, and of course is not something you should have to worry about.

Now my father was in hospital for 3 months before he died in that time my mother drove up 3 times a day to visit him ( and also feed him but thats a different story ). At that time parking was free , shortly after that it was 50p per hr ( this was the UK about 12 yrs ago ) , imagine , this would have mounted up.

50*3 or 4 per day = £2 * 7 = £14 PER WEEK ... now imagine you are on a fixed income ie a pensioner.
    Now before any tree-hugger says , ohhhh she could have used a bus/train..... consider this , she couldn't walk that far, there were no obvious/easy public transport links, it was a 10 min drive , by public transport approx ( at least ) 1 hr .....

I think charging for hospital car parking is EVIL pure and simple. I hope the faceless idiots that bring this in have to spend 3 months visiting and paying every time , lets see how they like it

END RANT !

Davidth88 wrote: »

I think charging for hospital car parking is EVIL pure and simple. I hope the faceless idiots that bring this in have to spend 3 months visiting and paying every time , lets see how they like it

My granddad is in hospital now and looks like he'll be there till the rest of his days. The whole family go and see him every day. I've yet to hear one person complain about the car parking. That the furthest things from their minds.

I dont pay the car parking fees. I use public transport to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ok,

Imagine you are on a fixed income, and its a choice between visiting 3 times a day , or having enough money to pay the bills. And it DOES happen .

Then you may think about it.

Interesting CUH said they had a scheme to refund parking for exactly such circumstances , however the social worker there was so inept she couldn't find the forms/ find out what to do. So we continued to use the Wilton carpark ( this was a different relative ). If they do have a scheme then thats good news, and should be public knowledge

Believe me this is a huge issue , not just to visitors , but to patients too, imagine you have to visit hospital every few days for a few hours , perhaps to have your blood cleaned ..... and you have to pay for parking everytime

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather , I hope he remains comfortable as he can be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The problem is that hospital car parks used to be used by park'n'riders. So even though it costs money to park to see people in hospital, at least there's a better chance of getting a space, because half the spaces aren't taken over by park'n'riders.

Advertisement