Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Comments

• 3.28.58 on chip time. Delighted with that. Only other time was 3.59 in Dublin, so lowering pb by half hour was pleasing. Wanted to beat 3.40.

Have to say massive thank you to 3.30 pacers. Was seriously flagging around Model Farm Road, but they arrived just then and that kept me going over last 5 miles or so. Was shattered at the end, but glad of time.

And glad that I won't have to think of pasta for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

1hr 38 for the half. PB by 14 mins from last year. Bitter sweet though as exponential splits starting at 6:40 going to 8:30 means I made a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4:06 for me which is a step in the right direction personally.
    Had many disasters in the past with 4:38 my previous "PB" so happy out :D
    A lot learned over the past few months after improving the diet so lots of scope for further improvement.

Found the Cork people to be great hosts for the event and while the initial merge with the HM race took a while to get used to it was nice to have the extra company on the course, rather than just marathon runners hanging on for dear life like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

3:45:25, bang on the money (well minus 25 secs). Very happy, as a first timer I thought it was a wonderful experience, really struggled from miles 23 to the end but all of it worth it. My first half was exactly one minute faster than my second.

Got a bit cocky at about 15 miles when I thought I was feeling well and went ahead of the pacers, they caught me again at mile 20 and it was a case of hanging on for dear life for the rest of it. Thanks to the 3:45 pacers throughout ....and the people of cork who came out to support us, great cheer every time I went through a relay point too, really enjoyed the whole experience.

Looking forward to my first marathon report too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Sure everyone knows Cork people are great!

(seriously though fair play on the PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Blooming

irfrm wrote: »
    So - are we going to update this? :D:D

Name|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    Belcarra|03:29:59
    corkrunner71|03:09:50
    Sideswipe|03:25:00
    Taramorourke|03:35:00
    irfrm|03:29:58|3:26:06
    BobMac104|03:30:00
    PaulieYifter|03:14:30|03:14:37
    Alayah Uninterested Silver|03:39:59
    Jcsmum|03:44:59
    Mr Slow|03:44:59
    Digijem|03:44:59
    Alitoast|03:45:00
    foxyboxer|03:44:59
    outforarun|03:29:57
    qweeva|03:39:59
    Formosa|03:59:59
    Blooming|03:59:59|03:56:18
    Mr. Wiggle|03:29:59
    [/QUOTE

Do we have to ? :(:D

First marathon...delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I can fill it out for you if you like :P

Would have been worse for you if you'd been beside me banging on about Cork v Dublin in 1983 as we passed Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Ha! I think a few people were glad it took their mind off running for a couple of minutes.

Really enjoyed today, thanks to fellow pacer Tony (lecheile) and all the pacees who managed to hang on until the end. PaulieYifter, you had a great run there today, delighted you managed to stick with us until the end and got your time. Say hello to your lovely wife from all of us. :D

• Blooming wrote: »
    irfrm wrote: »

irfrm|03:29:58|3:26:06
    Alayah Uninterested Silver|03:39:59|03.28.58
    Blooming|03:59:59|03:56:18
    Mr. Wiggle|03:29:59
    [/QUOTE

Do we have to ? :(:D

First marathon...delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

irfrm|03:29:58
    Alayah Uninterested Silver|03:39:59
    Blooming|03:59:59
    Mr. Wiggle|03:29:59|03:23:00

Am in dreamland, can't believe the time i did for my first Marathon. Ditto to all that has been said about the day, organisation and support, really amazing. Followed the 3.30 pacers until I felt brave enough to go on my own. Left the pack just before silversprings and the thought of being caught kept me going. Now, if i can just get my legs to move again...:D

( ehm, will the next person to update the table , please throw me in too as I've made a mess of it !)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

So no ones mentioned the water fiasco yet. Having to scavenge in ditches for water bottles for the pace group was annoying, to say the least. It may have been a simple mistake, but for runners to be left without water for 10 miles wasnt fair on them. They had paid good money to run, and were let down , in my opinion.I carried a 2 litre bottle for a few miles(which i'd found) and handed it around the pace group.

Probably a simple mathematical error, but a big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Ha! I think a few people were glad it took their mind off running for a couple of minutes.

Really enjoyed today, thanks to fellow pacer Tony (lecheile) and all the pacees who managed to hang on until the end. PaulieYifter, you had a great run there today, delighted you managed to stick with us until the end and got your time. Say hello to your lovely wife from all of us. :D

Was nice chatting to you before, during and after.

Special thanks to yourself and Tony for dragging us around.
    Tried to stick with you guys in my 1st Marathon in DCM 2010 for 3:30 and failed miserably - 5 marathons later and I stuck with you for 3:15 which I'm thrilled with - thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

My 1st marathon pacing gig today and thoroughly enjoyed every mile. There was a superb atmosphere out there, the half adds to the event hugely, great to have so many runners out there filling up the roads. Support from the public was also superb today.
    Only thing lacking was a bit of music out on the course, the african drummers in Blackpool last year were great.

Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    My 1st marathon pacing gig today and thoroughly enjoyed every mile. There was a superb atmosphere out there, the half adds to the event hugely, great to have so many runners out there filling up the roads. Support from the public was also superb today.
    Only thing lacking was a bit of music out on the course, the african drummers in Blackpool last year were great.

Great day.
    Had a great day today. Ran 1:44 in my first half today. Thought the atmos around the city wasn't up to previous years ie no stalls selling grub no music. Small quibbles tho about a super event. A million thanks to the 3:45 pacers without whom I could never have pushed myself so hard for those last 3 miles. At one point the balloon was bouncing off my head for a good 100yards as I strained to keep up in the mardyke. Meant to thank ye at the end but was too bate so thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Just a few shots ahead of the great flickr upload

7339043144_81aafc8690.jpg

7339045432_28f3bc0167.jpg

7339044154_f8e6dab048.jpg

7339053796_ebe0b5d5ba.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Just under 3:12 for me in the finish, managed to stick with Mr Rice's 3h balloon 'til close to the 30k mark but ran into problems from there on. It was a fantastic day for the race, to say we were lucky weather wise is an understatement!

Looked to me like there were a few cutbacks this year due to Bord Gais pulling out as the sponsor but still a very enjoyable day.

Well done to everyone on some great times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Photos of the Cork Marathon

Another great day out in Cork. I think it's the first year that I've taken photos there that it hasn't rained at some point. Glad to put an end to that streak!

• Was pretty bent out of shape after race. Had that 'never putting myself through that again' feeling for a few hours. But hobbling around now and thinking...you know what...maybe I'll have a look at that Run Ireland Events Calendar in the next few days...

Was there some incident with a car running into a water station or relay changeover area?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

4 hours, 47 mins, 44 secs! I'm exhausted and so glad I've a day off work. I was going very well for 4.30 pace but had serious tummy probs at mile 17 and mile 23-24. Still beat my last years time by 42 mins so can't really complain!

Had to pick water bottles off the ground at every station until Blackrock Castle. Thanks to the 4.30 pacer who rang someone and gave out mad to them! I heard later from a much faster runner that some relayers were taking a bottle in each hand...sound lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Aimed for a 3.45. Came in at 3.48.

Knocked 16 minutes off Dublin last year. Onwards and upwards.

It was a case of George C Scott in "Man getting hit by football" for me at mile 15.

"Argghhhh, My groin!!!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

I thought it well organised apart from the shortage of water bottles in the early stages, but at least their were bottles and not just cups. PB for me by 13 minutes, just scraping in under 4 hours, so very happy with that. I also liked how the half joined in for the second half of the course. Much better than both starting together.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Hopefully have found and fixed all the anomalies and now have re posted the results on www.championchipireland.com

Hopefully have found and fixed all the anomalies and now have re posted the results on www.championchipireland.com
    As the half started 1.5 mins approx late due to that silly speech from the Lord Mayor that should have been given at 10:50 at the latest. Has this been taken into account ? Cause I sprinted to get under 3hrs 38 on the finish clock which I made by a few secs to spare. So chip time should be just under 1 hr 38 for the half then. But also it was the case that the 1/2 started late. Looking at the tcx file I get 10:01:13 +1 so and I pressed that about 5 secs before going over the mat. Looking at my garmin I stopped dead at 1hr 38 on the money. http://connect.garmin.com/player/185512204 and didn't press stop for about 20 secs which would be right from how I remember it. Some other guy here is saying his time is out by close to 1.5 mins http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=36499493&postID=2264572690619694032

If it was gun to mat times then fair enough but if its mat to mat something is up with the half times by about 1 min not that it will make me feel much better.

All the mats are set off one watch at the start of the day at about 7am. It does not matter what time the Marathon started compared with the Half Marathon if both systems are set off the one watch. On my watch the Marathon went off at 9:04:25 and the Half at 11:03:03. Once the times are setup at 7am the start line mats for each distance are independent of each other so no adjustment needs to be made to allow for hold ups or speeches etc.

The Half Marathon clock was on the runners right as they approached the finish line and the full marathon clock was to the left but these are also operating independently from the mats.

I have no other queries re times being out just a few re name changes and people swopping races and some situations where the runners did not register at the respective start line mats but in all we dealt with about 7 queries which are now sorted.

I'd be concerned if there was a lot of feedback re times but thats not the case I believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The 8th place relay team:
    7342067042_8ea5341a69.jpg

Thanks to the 9th place team member for taking our picture. ;)

All the mats are set off one watch at the start of the day at about 7am. It does not matter what time the Marathon started compared with the Half Marathon if both systems are set off the one watch. On my watch the Marathon went off at 9:04:25 and the Half at 11:03:03. Once the times are setup at 7am the start line mats for each distance are independent of each other so no adjustment needs to be made to allow for hold ups or speeches etc.

The Half Marathon clock was on the runners right as they approached the finish line and the full marathon clock was to the left but these are also operating independently from the mats.

I have no other queries re times being out just a few re name changes and people swopping races and some situations where the runners did not register at the respective start line mats but in all we dealt with about 7 queries which are now sorted.

I'd be concerned if there was a lot of feedback re times but thats not the case I believe.

Thanks for clearing all that up. Was looking a the wrong clock. One other question. At the half start load of people were going over the mat before the start. Does that mess up things for you or do you just take the last time over the mat to the finish from them. Also does the times need to be downloaded from the mat or is it sent via 3g broadband. Just wondering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

rom wrote: »
    ...Was looking a the wrong clock. ...

I was looking at the wrong clock as well when running down to the finish.

rom wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing all that up. Was looking a the wrong clock. One other question. At the half start load of people were going over the mat before the start. Does that mess up things for you or do you just take the last time over the mat to the finish from them. Also does the times need to be downloaded from the mat or is it sent via 3g broadband. Just wondering.
    Its not a problem, we can use the software to tell the system to ignore any times recorded before the start time of 11:03:03. The times were sent instantly via the server in Holland to me at the finish line for processing, same with the halfway times along the marathon route and the spotter mat at the approach to the finish.

Its not a problem, we can use the software to tell the system to ignore any times recorded before the start time of 11:03:03. The times were sent instantly via the server in Holland to me at the finish line for processing, same with the halfway times along the marathon route and the spotter mat at the approach to the finish.

Spotter mat, of course. I wondered what the mat was there for before the line. Explains how they were able to read out the names so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

robinph wrote: »

Spotter mat, of course. I wondered what the mat was there for before the line. Explains how they were able to read out the names so quickly.

Ah very clever. I had the image of yer man up in a tower with a list of numbers and names. Now that I've written that down it does sound ridiculous. Nice to know how these things work. It was such a buzz to hear my name called out.

Advertisement