Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scripting / Data Manipulation

Options
  • 11-06-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to learn a methodology for manipulating data and/or parsing through files.

What is the best options? Usually I use VB or Excel - neither of which are ideal. Our IT infrastructure is quite tied down, but I think I could make a case for something if it was deemed beneficial.

I know a small bit of regular expressions from Notepad, but not in terms of writign a script - so what should be an automatic process becomes quite cumbersome feeding in each part manually. I don't have access to Perl.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

What platform? Are you locked down to Windows or can you use Linux? If the former, I'd use Powershell, but if Linux is available, go for awk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was going to recommend perl.
    PHP has good regular expression support. It's quite easy to program even at the shell level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

From my perspective, it depends on the scope of what you need done and the platform you're using. If it is Linux, then you have the choice of Bash/Shell Scripting, Perl or Python. With respect to Windows, as bp said, you have the option of using Powershell, but you can also use Perl and Python.

As I said, it depends of the scope of work needed to be done, the volume of data that needs to be manipulated and the frequency of when this should occur.

Advertisement