Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Loss and Hair Thinning Long Term Treatment

• 24-04-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Have read a good few hair loss threads here but I haven't heard much opinions on Revivogen on boards? Is this well regarded or well marketed?

Thanks for opionions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Hi i done alot of research into hairloss treatments before i decided to start finasteride 6 weeks ago. I have hairline recession dats only going to get worse sand i will not be one of the few goodlooking bald dudes. To be honest i dont think much besides finasteride and minoxidil do much for hairloss. I was too looking at peoples experiecnes on hairloss froums and as somebody said whty not try finasteride and see how it goews and as my dermatologist said the side effects are minute and alot of them are more pdychological rather than physiological. I am not encouraging yo to start finasteride at all but just giving you my story and no i have not had any sideeffects. Hoope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cu

I have been recommended to use Minoxidil but wonder if anyone can advice on where to get it online and shipped to Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Hi i done alot of research into hairloss treatments before i decided to start finasteride 6 weeks ago.

Why did ye choose finasteride, did you consult a doctor, how much do you pay per month?

basically its the only proven treatment to slow down, stop or in some people regrow hair. Its fda approved i think since 1997 so iut has a good safety profile and has been proven to work. I went to a consultant dermatologist and she tole me a huge number of men in the states are on it and she recently prescribed it for her friend and as i knew myself and she said to me most of the side effects which are less than 2% can be psychological based on re4ading horror stories on the internet. She prescribed me proscar which i cut into quarters to give me 1.25mg of finasteride per day. i was shocked at how cherap it was only 25euro for 6 months supply from my local pharmacy. propecia on the other hand which is 1mg finasteride could cost up to 90 euro a month. they are the exact same thing made by the same company. i have no sides after 2 months but i m in better mood as i know at least i am trying to do something to save my hair and maybe in next few years something better wuill come along and i can switch and at least i hope anyway finasteride will be after maintaing my hair

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

You could also try laser therapy for preventing hair loss. I read an article there lately about it being big in the states and there were a few products out in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Billyblog

Hey guys, what type of side affects do you risk when taking medication for hair loss prevention? Do you remember the names of the products your on about nappy? Has anyone had any good results from any shampoos? Losing my hair pretty rapidly and it's in the family :(

I can't remember the name. It was my girlfriend who was looking at it as it stops hair thinning in women too. There was an article in Joe or the Journal about it over the week. It looks like a bicycle helmet! But it does the job apparently. I'll mail you if I remember the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Hello guys
    As a middle aged balding guy who gets a zero cut every few weeks can you explain to me why your hair is so important ?
    I started thinning in my mid twenties and just started getting it cut short,,,,No hairdryer needed.
    To be honest i prefer it that way .....Into the shower a wipe of a wet cloth and Bada bing ....done. Is it vanity ? and if so why ?
    Even if i had the money i don't think i'd do the Wayne Rooney thing.....but then again if i was that young maybe i would, But like Rooney it wouldn't make me any better looking so i probably wouldn't waste the money.
    Anyway there's always been a culture of men that have fueled the "don't go bald" industry ....i just wonder why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Some people like jam, some don't.

I think everyone is a little image conscious especially when you begin to recede. I'd say you do get to a stage where you don't care anymore. I'm 26 and most of my mates would do anything to keep there hair.

• Advertisement

Im 10 weeks into my finasteride now and i have had no side effects. Still cant tell if its working yet as it could take over a year before any cosmetic difference will be seen. Im still happy i am trying something though as i was getting very down over it. My brother is further along then me on mpb journey so i hopw i can stop my receding hairline now and hopefully something in the future will come along thats even better. No matter what anybody says the majority of irish men in particular look a lot wore off without hair due to our pale colour and skin type. I would def recommend trying it as you will never take any medication if you are afraid of side effects. But this is only my opinion and im not here to start an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Hello guys
    As a middle aged balding guy who gets a zero cut every few weeks can you explain to me why your hair is so important ?
    I started thinning in my mid twenties and just started getting it cut short,,,,No hairdryer needed.
    To be honest i prefer it that way .....Into the shower a wipe of a wet cloth and Bada bing ....done. Is it vanity ? and if so why ?
    Even if i had the money i don't think i'd do the Wayne Rooney thing.....but then again if i was that young maybe i would, But like Rooney it wouldn't make me any better looking so i probably wouldn't waste the money.
    Anyway there's always been a culture of men that have fueled the "don't go bald" industry ....i just wonder why ?

I'm middle aged myself and I agree with you to a large extent. However if there was some risk free and inexpensive way of growing back a head of natural hair in the morning i'd go for it. I was on Minoxidil for a while in the late 90s but £30/month was too much to pay for me for vanity.

Besides, I look pretty good with a zero cut even if I do say so myself.

professore wrote: »
    I'm middle aged myself and I agree with you to a large extent. However if there was some risk free and inexpensive way of growing back a head of natural hair in the morning i'd go for it. I was on Minoxidil for a while in the late 90s but £30/month was too much to pay for me for vanity.

Besides, I look pretty good with a zero cut even if I do say so myself.

While you are correct saying risk free, im just wondering has anybody here taking aspirin because its side effects include bleeding into brain tissue in roughly the same incidence as erectile dysfunction from finasteride. im just doing this for some of the younger guys like me who i think need to know that you are more likely to get hit by a bus than suffer any sides.

Advertisement