Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Padkir wrote: »
    But this is IN the building, literally yards from a study area. If it was in the library there'd be uproar. And it echoes all over the building too! I'm not saying it's the construction company's fault, but the college should have extended the deadline to ensure they weren't doing it during exam week.

Ah, wasn't sure about exactly where it was - haven't been on that side of campus in a long time...

Yeah, i can see it being annoying alright, however it could be something necessary (work on pipes/etc? ) which if it wasn't done, could lead to bigger problems and the building being closed... just guessing here, that there might be some logical reasoning behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Ah, wasn't sure about exactly where it was - haven't been on that side of campus in a long time...

Yeah, i can see it being annoying alright, however it could be something necessary (work on pipes/etc? ) which if it wasn't done, could lead to bigger problems and the building being closed... just guessing here, that there might be some logical reasoning behind it.

Perhaps, not sure though. there's been a bit of work going off just downstairs, you can still hear it, seem to be making some kind of reception thingy...not sure really. They have been at it the last week and to be fair, have been very quiet in general, but today it was very bad! And not sure what else they were doing upstairs, but had a bit of the floor up. I suppose it's possible it was urgent work, have to wait and see over the next day or two!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

What exactly are they doing in the Cairnes anyway? Looks like they're putting in a reception desk thing or something.

What exactly are they doing in the Cairnes anyway? Looks like they're putting in a reception desk thing or something.

It does, no idea what for though, and what the need for it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I thought it was a coffee concession or a reception, a reception is much more needed imo.

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I thought it was a coffee concession or a reception, a reception is much more needed imo.

Why is a reception needed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Why is a reception needed there?

Isn't the one in St Anthony's never manned? And its probably viewed by guests as the main building anyway.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Isn't the one in St Anthony's never manned? And its probably viewed by guests as the main building anyway.

It probably is viewed as the main building alright, and probably the most main entrance. What goes on in receptions in buildings like that anyway?

Not really a 'daily life' complaint, but why are none of the exam pastpapers ever accompanied by a mark scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's just college policy.
    I'm not even sure giving out the previous year's exam papers is included in the policy.

And since, as far as I can tell, most exams are simply rehashings of the previous years' exams - one would think it more than enough to give students the questions that are coming up, without giving them the answers as well.

Not that I wouldn't agree with you that marking schemes would be very helpful for studying...

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's just college policy.
    I'm not even sure giving out the previous year's exam papers is included in the policy.

And since, as far as I can tell, most exams are simply rehashings of the previous years' exams - one would think it more than enough to give students the questions that are coming up, without giving them the answers as well.

Not that I wouldn't agree with you that marking schemes would be very helpful for studying...
    When I was in school they put massive emphasis on the mark scheme, too much in fact. But it did help to know how the marks per question were to be allocated to your answer.

I had an Economics test today, first ten questions were multiple choice and worth 2 marks each. Doesn't make any sense to me - usually when a question is worth 2 marks its because there is 1 mark available for working out, even if the answer is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

I'm in the reading room now, the guy sitting across from me has been stretching his legs over to my side (and leaving them there) for the past hour. I wouldn't mind so much if he didn't keep rubbing against my legs with his feet :(

I'm in the reading room now, the guy sitting across from me has been stretching his legs over to my side (and leaving them there) for the past hour. I wouldn't mind so much if he didn't keep rubbing against my legs with his feet :(

Maybe he likes you...;)

Ah no in all seriousness that sounds fierce annoying!! Tell him to move his hooves!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I had an Economics test today, first ten questions were multiple choice and worth 2 marks each. Doesn't make any sense to me - usually when a question is worth 2 marks its because there is 1 mark available for working out, even if the answer is wrong.
    Sometimes ... or sometimes the questions are just judged to be worth 2 marks each (or whatever proportion of the overall marks).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Put your hand on his leg. No more legs. In fact, probably no more guy.
    Or ... :pac:

EDIT: huh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Maybe he likes you...;)

Ah no in all seriousness that sounds fierce annoying!! Tell him to move his hooves!!

I would have told him where to shove that foot, but I was almost done, didn't want to cause a scene! *shudders*

Thing that really annoyed me was that before he came and sat down I had my feet on his side (Long legs, had to stretch :cool: ), I moved back to my side when he sat down out of courtesy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I absolutely hate the way you cant leave in the last half hour of exams. All it does is encourage people to rush for fear of being left sitting in the exam hall for 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I absolutely hate the way you cant leave in the last half hour of exams. All it does is encourage people to rush for fear of being left sitting in the exam hall for 25 minutes.
    Yes I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

It's probably the only fair way to do it. Otherwise loads of people would be leaving in the last few minutes disturbing everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Exactly. It's not going to kill you to wait for an extra half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I totally agree with the no leaving during the last half hour.

It takes some of the pressure of you, if you are going to use the full amount of time to complete the exam.

Besides IMO good exam planning means utilising every given minute to achieve your best possible mark.

Any body leaving half an hour early in a 2 or 3 hour exam, has either left a lot of blank spaces on their exam answer book, or is a genius, and I've met only a handful of them in my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Agreed with the above three posts. If people were allowed to leave during the last half hour, the noise and disturbance would be unfair to those who weren't finished and were trying to get done in time.

I'm also surprised that given the level of giving out here at the moment that nobody's complained about the increase in the fine for forgetting your Student ID card at an exam. I just passed a PC Suite where exams had been going on and spotted that the notice referred to a €30 fine for forgetting your ID card! Dammit, that's €10 more than previously! Let the outrage commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's probably the only fair way to do it. Otherwise loads of people would be leaving in the last few minutes disturbing everyone else.

The way it is at the moment however there are one and half hour, two hour, and three hour exams all in the same hall meaning people are getting disturbed on a regular basis anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

The way it is at the moment however there are one and half hour, two hour, and three hour exams all in the same hall meaning people are getting disturbed on a regular basis anyway.
    Maybe so, but none of those students are being disturbed in the last half hour of their exam, never mind being disturbed with 5-10 minutes to go while trying to frantically get a question finished off with people all around you are moving about... No, I think the current system is the fairest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Is Blackboard down for anyone else? Haven't been able to access it in a few days now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Blackboard servers were being attacked yesterday, according to an email circulated by ISS. Won't be back online until Jan 3rd at the earliest I was told, tho most staff are back on the 5th so it could be then.

Bit bummed myself as I'm teaching distance learners on the 8th, so that eats into prep time.

Did they not say Blackboard would be down for maintenance for a while, in an email before the holidays?

That's pretty poor if it's to be down til Jan 3rd, I seem to remember seeing one or two assignments I have to hand in when we get back but didn't get a chance to download them yet.
    Agreed with the above three posts. If people were allowed to leave during the last half hour, the noise and disturbance would be unfair to those who weren't finished and were trying to get done in time.
    The 'noise and disturbance' would be just as bad as it is 31mins before the end when loads of people leave at once (due to this rule). In fact it would spread out people's exits a bit more so less noise. It's not that bad anyway really - if you're getting thrown off track that badly by a few people leaving then you're going to do terrible in many work environments (but hey, exams are a crap way of assessing how you'd get on in a work environment anyway).
    I'm also surprised that given the level of giving out here at the moment that nobody's complained about the increase in the fine for forgetting your Student ID card at an exam. I just passed a PC Suite where exams had been going on and spotted that the notice referred to a €30 fine for forgetting your ID card! Dammit, that's €10 more than previously! Let the outrage commence!
    It's just another arbitrary charge the uni has decided to force on it's students. It could be €60 and we still wouldn't have much of a choice to pay it (or fail exams).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

The 'noise and disturbance' would be just as bad as it is 31mins before the end when loads of people leave at once (due to this rule). In fact it would spread out people's exits a bit more so less noise.

Well I can't see how allowing people to leave anytime they want would mean less noise.

If no one taking the same exam as you can leave in the last half an hour, then there is no noise from people taking the same exam as you, leaving in the last half an hour.

And I don't see student's, bar a couple, rushing their exam to finish it at 31 minutes before so they can leave 15 minutes early, rather than 15 minutes later.

It's not that bad anyway really - if you're getting thrown off track that badly by a few people leaving then you're going to do terrible in many work environments (but hey, exams are a crap way of assessing how you'd get on in a work environment anyway).

Stress at exam time, specifically whist sitting an exam, can be immense for some student.
    Its ridiculous to say that if a student feels under pressure at this time they will do terrible in many work environments, that is simply not true.

I agree with you about exams being a poor way of assessing students.
    I wonder, say in 10 years time, what direction assessing students will have gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Can't agree with this at all. Making it so students can't leave in the last 30 minutes is an absolute must. The last 30 minutes (for me at least) are by far the most hectic. It's where you start to realise, "Oh crap - I don't have much time left.", and is usually where you get a lot of work done. At the same time, there would be many students finishing early on purpose to avoid the end-of-exam crush, so there would be people getting up every few seconds and disturbing everyone.

This way, if students want to leave early, they leave before the last vital 30 minutes. You can then work away knowing you won't be disturbed. Yes, there's still the end-of-exam crush for those who wait, but it's a necessary evil.

Advertisement