Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

pa990 wrote: »

That's today!

No detail in that brief report concerning date and location of the fatal crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

paddy147 wrote: »
    That new garda speed van lay by has been there for around 1 month now (beginning of September).

There was a technical issue with where they were hiding further up the road behind the wall, where the 80kph zone suddenly drops to 60kph in a matter of yards.

So they decided to move on down the road and built that lay by instead.

This is why I take speed camera cynicism/scepticism with a grain of salt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can I take it you are referring to the stretch of the N1 southbound near the entrance to the Port Tunnel?

If so, then the distance between the 80 km/h speed limit signs and the 60 km/h signs is approximately 350 metres.

In which case, hardly a situation where the speed limit "suddenly drops ... in a matter of yards." I would suggest that gives ample opportunity to slow down.

Or are you talking about a different location? If so, can you indicate the transition between the 80 km/h and 60 km/h zones on StreetView?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

Does anyone know if the bank of cameras just after where the M9 and M7 join up on the way to Dublin are speed cameras? Hadn't noticed them before this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

brophs wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the bank of cameras just after where the M9 and M7 join up on the way to Dublin are speed cameras? Hadn't noticed them before this morning.
    Nope. Just traffic management stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There are new cameras up on both sides of the m4 between maynooth and kilcock exits, closer to the maynooth side. Speed cameras yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bluewolf wrote: »
    There are new cameras up on both sides of the m4 between maynooth and kilcock exits, closer to the maynooth side. Speed cameras yea?

Nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ironclaw wrote: »
    Nope.

Oh good
    what are they

ANPR traffic management stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    This is why I take speed camera cynicism/scepticism with a grain of salt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can I take it you are referring to the stretch of the N1 southbound near the entrance to the Port Tunnel?

If so, then the distance between the 80 km/h speed limit signs and the 60 km/h signs is approximately 350 metres.

In which case, hardly a situation where the speed limit "suddenly drops ... in a matter of yards." I would suggest that gives ample opportunity to slow down.

Or are you talking about a different location? If so, can you indicate the transition between the 80 km/h and 60 km/h zones on StreetView?

The speed trap use to be located where the wall finishes as you reach the top of the road (where the two cars located on the original image). Reducing your speed down to 60 isn't the problem, it's other cars joining the road from the slip road that has caused me to move lanes, speed up, slow down etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

Enquiring about the gosafe van colours....I passed one leaving letterkenny donegal last week, was over the milit doing about 85....BUT....The van was black, i could hardly see it, and had to increase speed a bit as i was going up a hill in fast lane overtaking slower cars. Is this a speed van? Just wondering. Thanks

• Advertisement

Could be some builders taking a piss.

lol no it was definitly a speedvan, it was black in colour though. Anyone know what type this is? Survey van maybe?

Most likely. Black is an unusual colour though.

Im hopeing it was, because i was over the speed, couldnt see it at all until was nearly passed it. Was definitly black, think first time i seen one that colour. Is this legal if it was a speed van?

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Im hopeing it was, because i was over the speed, couldnt see it at all until was nearly passed it. Was definitly black, think first time i seen one that colour. Is this legal if it was a speed van?

Could it have been red by any chance? A dark red? There is a GoSafe van that is red.

If it had no markings, your probably ok. Garda vans are all white (To my knowledge). Without markings, it's at worst a GoSafe survey van. So it won't issue a fine.

No wasnt red. It was very similar to this van here i seen in earlier page in this thread. Any ideas? Hope it was a survey van

Its a Kerry reg, bets are its a GoSafe van.

No wasnt red. It was very similar to this van here i seen in earlier page in this thread. Any ideas? Hope it was a survey van

Pictures are 100% a GoSafe Survey van. The give away is the flash on the top left.

And a very cheeky color. Borderline dangerous seeing as its going to be parked on roads.

Are these vans not supposed to be bright and pictures of cameras etc on them? Or is it a survey van?

I didnt think 'trying to make the van less visible' was part of the gosafe regulations.

Pictures are 100% a GoSafe Survey van. The give away is the flash on the top left.

And a very cheeky color. Borderline dangerous seeing as its going to be parked on roads.

Exactly, it was a dull rainy day also, and was very very hard to see. Surely i cant get a ticket from this van? ps this isnt the van i passed, i copied picture, but its very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭G1032

Can anyone here tell me whether or not there was a speed camera van operating between Balla and Claremorris this morning at about 6 o'clcck? Pretty sure I passed one but just not 100% sure. Def caught if it was one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Already saw white, red, black and navy GoSafe vans. Co. Sligo and co. Roscommon.

Exactly, it was a dull rainy day also, and was very very hard to see. Surely i cant get a ticket from this van? ps this isnt the van i passed, i copied picture, but its very similar.

For what must be the 100,000,000th time on this thread
    • GoSafe Van, Fully Marked, In A GoSafe Zone = Can Issue A Fine
    • GoSafe Van Unmarked Anywhere = Cannot Issue A Fine
    • An marked/unmarked Garda Van Anywhere = Can Issue A Fine

Check List for 'Will I Get A Fine'
    1. Was I speeding?
    2. Was my speedo showing I was at least 10km/h over the limit?
    3. Was I in a GoSafe Zone?

If you answer Yes to all three, your most likely getting a fine from GoSafe on behalf of the State.

Theres no equivalent checklist for Garda or outside GoSafe zones. You need to be able to recognise the difference between a GoSafe survey van and a Garda van. Which 99% of people can't seem to be able to do.

Its well known that even the marked fine issuing vans don't have, conveniently, very good reflective strips.

Simple solution. Don't speed.

For what must be the 100,000,000th time on this thread
    • GoSafe Van, Fully Marked, In A GoSafe Zone = Can Issue A Fine
    • GoSafe Van Unmarked Anywhere = Cannot Issue A Fine
    • An marked/unmarked Garda Van Anywhere = Can Issue A Fine

Check List for 'Will I Get A Fine'
    1. Was I speeding?
    2. Was my speedo showing I was at least 10km/h over the limit?
    3. Was I in a GoSafe Zone?

If you answer Yes to all three, your most likely getting a fine from GoSafe on behalf of the State.

Theres no equivalent checklist for Garda or outside GoSafe zones. You need to be able to recognise the difference between a GoSafe survey van and a Garda van. Which 99% of people can't seem to be able to do.

Its well known that even the marked fine issuing vans don't have, conveniently, very good reflective strips.

I very rarely go over the limit, but was passing slow cars on a hill, in fast lane and was over. But, from the pics i posted, you definitly reckon that was a servey van? No fine yet, it was a week ago. Thanks anyway for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Quick question, whats the average length of time for gardai to issue a speeding fine. Recently possibly caught by unmarked Garda van. Thanks.

week to 10 days normally.

A mate of mine got one within 3 days of offence, but i guess it varies. Im just hopeing the one i passed was a survey van, dont fancy an 80e fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

A mate of mine got one within 3 days of offence, but i guess it varies. Im just hopeing the one i passed was a survey van, dont fancy an 80e fine!
    Or the two penalty points.

• Advertisement

rebelden wrote: »
    Or the two penalty points.
    If you are subject to them. ;)

Advertisement