Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which calendar app?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've tried a few calendar apps on my S3, but none seems to do the one function I'm really looking for (which is something I could do on my iPhone).....

I want to set up a repeating event, to repeat weekly. For example, a class. So say I have English from 3-4pm every Thursday, then with one entry of the event I can set it up to repeat. This function is easy to do, even with the stock calendar, but here's the rub.....

I want to be able to add a note to each of the repetitions that is unique to each entry. So, going back to the class example, I could put a note one Thursday saying "we covered poems today" and the following week I could add a note saying "we covered Shakespeare today".

Using the stock calendar, and the few 3rd party ones I've tried, when I add a note like that to any instance of the event, it gets added to all the repetitions, not just the specific date I need that note for.

Has anyone come across a calendar app that can do what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I use CalenGoo, it uses Google's calendar back-end.

You can create a repeating entry. Then, when you go to edit an entry, it asks whether you want to edit the whole series, edit that and future instances, or just that one instance.

I think this should do what you want, and I think any calendar apps that use Google's calendar back-end would probably work he same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I use Business Calendar, which lets you do this too. It also has some decent calendar widgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

animaal wrote: »
    I think this should do what you want, and I think any calendar apps that use Google's calendar back-end would probably work he same way.
    What do you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Kavrocks wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?

I think Calengoo (and most other Android calendars) are just front-ends on Google's calendar program. So if Google's calendar supports the ability to edit individual events in a series, it's likely most of the Android calendar applications do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

animaal wrote: »
    I think Calengoo (and most other Android calendars) are just front-ends on Google's calendar program. So if Google's calendar supports the ability to edit individual events in a series, it's likely most of the Android calendar applications do too.
    What calendar program? The one that ships with Android or the online one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Cheers for the replies.

I had a look at both calengoo and business calendar. In terms of what I want, they both work the same as the stock calendar app, and I think this is because of the link with google calendar, as suggested.

When I edit a particular instance of an event on either of the above named apps, or on the stock one, I get the option to make the note apple to "all" instances of the event (the "series"), or to "this and all future events". The latter is a clunky way of doing what I need, but it might be the only way.

If I have a class one week and put a note against it, and then apply it to "this and all future events", at least it will leave the note that I made the previous week in place. It's just messy that the note for that week will appear on all future events until they are edited.

Can't understand why it has to be the whole series or "this and future events" only. Why can't they be edited individually? This seems like such a simple thing to want from a calendar app that's functioning essentially as a kind of diary where repeating events occur. The iPhone can do this easily, I don't see why I can't do it on my s3....

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Mervenut

Cheers for the replies.

I had a look at both calengoo and business calendar. In terms of what I want, they both work the same as the stock calendar app, and I think this is because of the link with google calendar, as suggested.

When I edit a particular instance of an event on either of the above named apps, or on the stock one, I get the option to make the note apple to "all" instances of the event (the "series"), or to "this and all future events". The latter is a clunky way of doing what I need, but it might be the only way.

If I have a class one week and put a note against it, and then apply it to "this and all future events", at least it will leave the note that I made the previous week in place. It's just messy that the note for that week will appear on all future events until they are edited.

Can't understand why it has to be the whole series or "this and future events" only. Why can't they be edited individually? This seems like such a simple thing to want from a calendar app that's functioning essentially as a kind of diary where repeating events occur. The iPhone can do this easily, I don't see why I can't do it on my s3....

Calendar Pad Pro will allow editing of individual events in a recurring series, just tried it and it will do what you need, it also has a good widget to display on your screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

using "s planner" (the default calendar app) on my galaxy s3 and it allows me to do what you want with no bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Mervenut

Baz_ wrote: »
    using "s planner" (the default calendar app) on my galaxy s3 and it allows me to do what you want with no bother...

Could well be, I'm on S2 gingerbread and don't have s planner but if it works that should solve the op's problem!

It won't work on mine. I can edit an event description, but the edit can only be applied to all repetitions or to all future repetitions. Can't make the description edit apply to a single entry only.

There's an option to link to s memo, maybe that's something I should check out.

• Advertisement

Edit:

I figured out how to edit a single instance of an event using s planner. The trick is to add the event to "my calendar" as opposed to one I had set up through a Google calendar called "work".

So it looks like what I want to do is doable on the local calendar only, which is okay, but I was hoping to have my descriptions available on a few devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

It won't work on mine. I can edit an event description, but the edit can only be applied to all repetitions or to all future repetitions. Can't make the description edit apply to a single entry only.

I don't understand. Do you definitely have a Samsung galaxy s3? Are you definitely using s planner?

If so the way I'm doing it is in month view touch the day that your note is saved to bring just that day up.
    Click on the note I want to edit to open it.
    Then click the event title at the top of this next screen which brings me into the edit event screen with a pop up box with the three options "change only this event", "change all events in the series" and "change this and all future events"

And if you have the same phone as me you should be able to do the exact same series of events...

Do you get a popup box? And does it look like this?
    http://db.tt/igg9rFBO

I don't understand. Do you definitely have a Samsung galaxy s3? Are you definitely using s planner?

If so the way I'm doing it is in month view touch the day that your note is saved to bring just that day up.
    Click on the note I want to edit to open it.
    Then click the event title at the top of this next screen which brings me into the edit event screen with a pop up box with the three options "change only this event", "change all events in the series" and "change this and all future events"

And if you have the same phone as me you should be able to do the exact same series of events...

Do you get a popup box? And does it look like this?
    http://db.tt/igg9rFBO

Yes, I got it to work by putting the event on" my calendar" and not on one of my Google calendars.

Advertisement