Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leap Card - On-line top-up issues

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

AlekSmart wrote: »
    But,but,butter.....It would appear that the "statistics" which are shrouded in mysterious secrecy,indicate such carry on is at a figure of less that 2%.......however such statistics tend to be pooh-pooh'd wherever groups of Busdrivers gather....;)

I suspect that the great n good who sit atop Mount Olympus are afeeard that the long-hopping,short-hopping fare payer will simply decide to rob a car or bicycle instead thus depriving us of his/her €1.40 .....;)

I really do feel that Leapcard needs an urgent Re-Launch if it's to regain the momentum it has to generate to succeed.

To do this,we require strong Management of it's market-focus,which currently is all-over-the-place,with many people being totally unaware of it's existence,let alone it's capabilities. :mad:

I don't think so . It will be a slow burner, eventually in 1-5 years we will have a decent card and more and more will be using it. Sort of how electronic toll tags became more and more wide spread

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well I don't think Leapcard should be relaunched until the whole public transport fare system is revised, with proper mult-modal travel.

Then that is the time to relaunch leapcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bk wrote: »
    Well I don't think Leapcard should be relaunched until the whole public transport fare system is revised, with proper mult-modal travel.

Then that is the time to relaunch leapcard.

If we rewind to 2000,it's possible to get a grasp of the scale of missed opportunity we now see....

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/2648-0.pdf

Remember this is 12 years ago........It's often said that time moves differently in Ireland,but up to Leapcard,we've been stuck for proof.....:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Ok, so I did my first "online" top up in a shop today. Luckily the spar around the corner from my job does it and it went easily enough.

With the slowly increasing models of mobile phones containing NFC technology, am I naive in thinking an app may be available some time in the future to allow you to top up?

The app would require you to log in to your leap card account and have payment information stored there.

I'm sure the security concerns will slow that if not stop it altogether.
    And by security I mean preventing people from doing hacks to top the cards up illegally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I recall hearing NFC phones being trialled as a replacement for a smartcard, possibly in London, but that's as much as I've heard on it.

• Advertisement

I recall hearing NFC phones being trialled as a replacement for a smartcard, possibly in London, but that's as much as I've heard on it.

Whoah there Captain Kirk! Where do you think you are?!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't expect NFC phones to be used for paying for anything directly in this country for quite a while. I thought the app thing may be a solution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Seriously though, I wouldn't expect NFC phones to be used for paying for anything directly in this country for quite a while. I thought the app thing may be a solution though.

Is NFC the technology used in the new Visa Debit card which can be used to pay for goods and services up to €15 by waving the car over a reader i.e. contactless payment?

coylemj wrote: »

Is NFC the technology used in the new Visa Debit card which can be used to pay for goods and services up to €15 by waving the car over a reader i.e. contactless payment?

Yeah that would be it.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I've two Visa Debit cards with these chips in them since July. I've only seen one shop in that time with a reader for them :o

• Advertisement

I've two Visa Debit cards with these chips in them since July. I've only seen one shop in that time with a reader for them :o

I think you can get a BigMac Meal with a McFlurry using it.....? :D

I think you can get a BigMac Meal with a McFlurry using it.....? :D

Is that less than €15, Alek? :)

Is that less than €15, Alek? :)

As long as you don't SUPERSIZE it you should be grand....:eek:

As long as you don't SUPERSIZE it you should be grand....:eek:

I'll assume that you stick to the Euro Duties menu :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You will likely see a big rollout of contactless card readers to shops over the next year or two now that almost everyone in the country will have one of these cards by the end of the year (BOI's rollout is already almost complete, AIB start this month with their rollout).

It is a pity that they don't work as an ewallet with the leapcard readers. In the UK they are now transitioning to these contact less debit cards from Oyster cards for the ewallet.

I look forward to the day when my debit card, lepa card and dublin bikes card are all on one card. Even better on my smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think the Visa Debit card uses NFC technology. It looks to me that NFC requires both parties to have communications capability so the consumer end will typically be a mobile phone. The VISA Debit card is just a passive device probably with an RFID chip to provide it's identity via radio but it doesn't seem to involve NFC technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

The credit needs to be recorded on the card because the likes of Dublin Bus readers have no online (instant) access to the centralised database, hence you need to physically visit a machine to get the credit transferred onto the card.

Maybe someone can answer this one which you didn't mention - can you pickup new credit purchased online for a Leap card from a ticket machine in a Dart station yet - either the topup cash/CC machines or the readers at the barriers?

Sorry I didn't check back on this thread for while. Thanks for pointing out the reasons why it doesn't work. The way I imagined it would work would be logical but something always gets in the way of logic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The credit needs to be recorded on the card because the likes of Dublin Bus readers have no online (instant) access to the centralised database, hence you need to physically visit a machine to get the credit transferred onto the card.

Maybe someone can answer this one which you didn't mention - can you pickup new credit purchased online for a Leap card from a ticket machine in a Dart station yet - either the topup cash/CC machines or the readers at the barriers?

None of them are instantly online, including Luas and Irish Rail. Otherwise the information from them will be updated as you use the card, as opposed to following day.

Advertisement