Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

thyroid issue

• 22-09-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I was diagnosed with graves disease in June 2010, (thyroid reading was at 35) put on 40mg of neomercazole and then over-treated, consultant then changed meds to 10mg in July and changed again 2 weeks ago and now I'm on 5mg. I'm still gaining weight and still have pain in my limbs and still feeling tired. When does it get better? Are the symptoms of pain in legs and arms and weight gain down to the neomercazole or thyroid? The consultant explained that it takes time for things to settle down!
    Thanks
    Aud
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Hi Audry

I was Graves/Hyper up until the end of May 2010, when I had a total thyroidectomy :D

What you have described is very similar to my first few months on Neomercazole (carbimazole). For me, it took a long time to get the dose right, and until we got even some semblence of control it was a total rollercoaster of hell, flipping from hyper to hypo and back again...I won't sugar-coat it :o

I can't tell when you're going to feel better, I only wish I could {{{hugs}}}

...we're all different...and in the early days for me, it was really hard to know when I did feel well, maybe you can relate to this, but I'd spent so many years feeling unwell, that feeling unwell became the 'norm'....so when I did start feeling better i didn't instantly recognise it as feeling better, as it felt very different to how I'd felt for a very long time!

Are your symptoms down to the thyroid or the carbimazole (CBZ)?...call me cynical, but I personally blame *everything* on my thyroid...or at least I used to, when I had one :D People often hugely underestimate how important the thyroid gland is in everyday life. Its essentially second in command to the pituitary gland, and is involved with almost every life process to some degree. When it goes a little wonky...well, it can make life hell in the most surprising ways!
    Regarding your weight gain....if I can give you any advice at all...it would be not to worry about your weight too much, until your levels are back under control...because until then, as long as you're eating healthily and exercising as best you are able, you won't have much control over your weight, you're thyroid gland will be calling the shots!
    Regarding exercise...make the most of the good days...because on the bad days, you just won't be able for it...don't push yourself.

I would definitely recommend keeping a diary of symptoms and your mood etc.
    And keeping copies of all your blood tests (as well as teaching yourself how to read them and understand them, with regard to how you're feeling) and if you're handy with MS Excel you can do up some nifty graphs to show how your levels fluctuate from bloodtest to bloodtest, another great way for you to be able to monitor which CBZ dose suits you best.

I really hope they get your levels sorted soon, and you start to feel well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lip gloss

Hi ALL,
    Im new to this so sorry if Im buttin in!.
    I have had under active thyroid for a number of years but in the last few months things seem to have changed, so I went to the doctor last week.
    The doc says that I may be over active thyroid. Im a bit worried though.
    My symptoms are clearing throat, ringing in my ears on and off, my periods are late (not pregnant) some times soreness in the throat, muscle twitching.
    Have any of you had simular symptoms? Im sure it will all be fine, will have blood results on monday.
    thanks.

Hi Lip gloss

Hope you managed to get your bloods results back today, and perhaps were able to discuss your latest concerns with your doc.

I have at various points experienced all those symptoms...when both hypo & hyper.

I used to swing quite regularly between both states,and got quite goodat predicting my blood test results. Fingers crossed yours come back good, or at least with some definite indications to someway to explain your new symptoms.

thank you, no results back yet Wed.

lip gloss wrote: »
    thank you, no results back yet Wed.

Any news?

• Advertisement

Oh you are so kind. No results yet, not sure whats going on. I hope they havnt lost my bloods, but I am also wondering if there is another reason for the delay.
    Im sure it will be fine. Just want to know for sure.
    Thank you for checking in on me. I havnt told any one about my concerns, they may amount to nothing so best wait and see.
    Thanks again.

Any news?
    Hi Dollydishmop, thanks for all your support. I finally got my results
    on friday. It appears that i have gone from under active to over active.
    I have to reduce my meds and go back in 6 weeks for another check.
    I am already feeling better.
    Thanks again.

Good stuff! :D

Well, not good that you've gone hyper....but good that now at least you know where those new symptoms stemmed from. ;)

Fingers crossed that the small tweak in your meds is all you need to get back on track. :)

I'm due to get my next set of bloods done next week. I only have to get them done every 3 months now (used to be monthly :eek: )

Good luck next. I hope you get good results.

I hope things have settled down with your thyroid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looks like they are about to diagnoes me with <something>thyroid shortly.

They have been doind various blood tests for a while, but the GP was failing to tell me really what it was all about, just doing more tests. Just been and seen someone else about something else today and they went and actually explained the results to me. She was talking about a bunch of numbers that I've not heard before so have no idea how far out of acceptable range of any of them that I am for them, but it seems to have been varying up and down on the hypo side of things as far as I can tell.

Now hypo means something completely different to me as as diabetic, but what are the symptoms that you actually get, and that I will have not been noticing for the last X amount of time?

I'll be speaking with the GP later in the week anyway as they are then testing me for something else againn, but think it will actually be a while before my body gets round to finally sacrificing another useful organ from the immune system going bonkers. First victim was the pancreas and now seems to be the thyroid it's targeting, wonder what it will go for next. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

robinph wrote: »
    Looks like they are about to diagnoes me with <something>thyroid shortly.

They have been doind various blood tests for a while, but the GP was failing to tell me really what it was all about, just doing more tests. Just been and seen someone else about something else today and they went and actually explained the results to me. She was talking about a bunch of numbers that I've not heard before so have no idea how far out of acceptable range of any of them that I am for them, but it seems to have been varying up and down on the hypo side of things as far as I can tell.

Now hypo means something completely different to me as as diabetic, but what are the symptoms that you actually get, and that I will have not been noticing for the last X amount of time?

I'll be speaking with the GP later in the week anyway as they are then testing me for something else againn, but think it will actually be a while before my body gets round to finally sacrificing another useful organ from the immune system going bonkers. First victim was the pancreas and now seems to be the thyroid it's targeting, wonder what it will go for next. :D
    You would be suprised - I had graves when I was 4 (am now underactive), I recently had suspected addisons (luckily it is something that I do not have) and I have sarcoidosis (am also a type 1 diabetic). The main thing is that I still live my life - my husband having crohns, graves and sarcoidosis does help as we understand each other. The oesophageal cancer was another thing though - horrible.

I have found the thyroid issues to be the easiest to deal with if that is any consolation - most endochrinologists deal with both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lollybob

mod snip, lollybob we cant comment on your symptoms and results. go back and ask your doctor if you're concerned/confused.

Just wondering if any one has the same experience as I am having.
    46 year old female with over active thyroid. Bloods last year said that
    I was first peri menopausal then further bloods say that I am menapausal.
    Thats fine not what I was expecting but thats life.
    However, earlier this year the bloods came back with no trace of any type of
    menopause!! until 2 weeks ago when they showed post menopause!!
    Whats going on?? Has this happened to any one else out there.
    Still having periods, going for an ultra sound to see if there is a problem
    with ovaries.

Advertisement