Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony e-reader

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Hi, just to add a wee question to this.

I'm thinking about picking a reader up for Christmas, and am torn between the Sony PRS-505 and the CyBook Gen3.

Sony - €249 (incl. case)
    Cybook - €279 (€316 incl. case)

From what I gather, the Cybook is probably the better bet, for the mobipocket support especially.

Does it come with a case, or do you have to buy a case separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

I see. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

I have tries Sony shops (Liffey Valley and town) and Xtra Vision Portaloise Newbride, all talking about 2 -3 week delay. Anyone know where the might be available please.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Picked mine up yesterday in Powercity, Coolmine Industrial Estate beside Blanchardstown.
    Got it for €223 was on display for €233 :D
    Seemed to have a few left.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

Sony readers now available in waterstones in the Jervis centre.
    Aprox 30 left. Sold out in peats, Jervis st Sony centre and Celbridge xtra vision.
    Retails at 250e in wAterstones.
    Good lcuk and happy Xmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Dazed909

Now sold out in Waterstones and all PowerCity stores. Missed out so gutted. If anyone hears of any shops with stock left pls let me know!

Tks,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

try any Xtravision!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

There are other Sony Centers in St.Stephen's Green and on O'Connell street too - both are larger than the tiny Jervis one, so they may be better stocked...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dazed909

Cheers folks but all Sony Centres and Xtra-vision outlets are sold out too.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

i have one since christmas and havent used it because i cant get any ebooks i want to read or anything on it..

can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

just wondering which sony model they are selling? is it the prs-505?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

I got it yesterday from waterstones (uk) for £240. I've several technical PDF's and it's great for reading them. Especially if they are formatted correctly with a proper TOC! I had some of these printed out on A4 2 per page front and back - took several bound books for even 1 of these and now I can carry 100's of these with me wherever I go - just wish it had a search feature.

I've been reading a PDF novel which is formatted for A4 so its not 100% when I try to view it even on the 2nd and 3rd zoom levels. It's still excellent and doesn't really bother me (even though I am extremely finnicky!)

Also have a sony formatted .LRF novel which is perfect - I converted it from a .rtf file and it is perfect (using calibre)

overall - extremely impressed. The thing is also TINY! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightswimr

00sully wrote: »
    I've been reading a PDF novel which is formatted for A4 so its not 100% when I try to view it even on the 2nd and 3rd zoom levels. It's still excellent and doesn't really bother me (even though I am extremely finnicky!)

How can you tell if a PDF is formatted for A4 i.e. whether it will zoom effectively? Thanks. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

ARGOS is selling the 505 for 349€!!!!

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5139024/Trail/C$cip=1500019645%3EC$cip=1500019659.htm

RRP according to WATERSTONES UK is £229.00. I got mine for €249 from XTRAVISION
    Needless to say that ARGOS UK is charging £229.00

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

A few people above have recommended booksonboard as a source for books but any book I've tried to buy it tells me it's not available for my country.

Is there a way around this?

I also believe you can get vouchers from one of the posters at mobileread.com for the sony ebook store that will work from here, but I haven't tried it.

I alseo tried to update the sony library/connect package to the 2.5 version on the sony website, but again it tells me it's the wrong country??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've bought two books from booksonboard and have had no trouble. (not exactly a representative sample i'll admit)

I was probably unlucky with the book I picked (The Camel Club by David Baldacci). And another one which I can't remember the name of!!!

I'll try a few others and see. I imagine it's down to individual publishers.

bedlam wrote: »
    Just tried it my self, it certainly doesn't let you buy it, very odd. Take your business to fictionwise.com or change your booksonboard user location to USA

You can change your location to USA but it cops on when you try to use your credit card. And fictionwise.com has the same restrictions. It all looks good until you go to pay for the book , then it stops you.

Anyway, I got it sorted. Booksonboard lets you use a thing called Google Checkout (similar to paypal) and if you register on Google checkout with a US address (google a random address and zip code) it doesn't seem to mind that you use an Irish visa card.

I can now buy US restricted books easily.

You must have your paypal set up as US, when I tried booksonboard and fictionwise with paypal both rejected me for the Baldacci books once I returned from the paypal website.

From what I see elsewhere it's the publishers restrictions.

I'm sure this'll all get easier as the e-readers become more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Block (8

Just posted this on bargain alerts on anyone waiting to pull the trigger :)

" Theres refurbished sony ebooks on ebay for £133.99 plus postage of £15.53 for a silver one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

or £119.99 for a blue one

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sony-Refurbished-...1%7C240%3A1318

They're from expansys so should be pretty safe.
    Claim to be in "pristine condition" and "no cosmetic issues".

So if your thinking of one it looks like a good deal. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Giggler

Hi all,
    i still havn't got around to buying an e-reader of any sort yet, but the launch of the Amazon Kindle II, has got me interested again. Just wondering, is there anyway that this can be purchased in Ireland, or would it have to be sent to a US address??

The ease of purchasing books for it seems better than other options, and as i do most of my book shopping on amazon anyway, it isn't much of a change.

The other question i would have is that if i was to get one, could i purchase books for it??

I used a Sony one recently and wasn't impressed, so i am looking for alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Giggler

Thanks Bedlam,
    I think i will be sticking to the old fashioned way of reading for the moment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭ferdi

whats the best price i'm gonna get on the Sony PRS-505?

waterstones dawsons street just quoted me €279 over the phone
    waterstones website (UK) is €224 (plus delivery)
    Amazon UK have them for £215 (Plus delivery)
    xtravision dont seem to have them anymore.

anywhere thats not ebay that i could get a better deal?

sons of bitches

know of any websites that will deliver to ireland charging less than €278 for the Sony PRS-505?

edit:

Argos.co.uk - £224.99 (€256.41)
    Argos.ie - €349.99 (£307.10)
    Grrrrr...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Powercity sell it online for €225.55 with stock available in all branches. I find that if you go into a store and mention the online price, that they will always agree to sell to you at the discounted price.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-12-PRS505

you're a star

• Registered Users Posts: 5 XYZ1098

Hi. Been looking to get an eReader for ages. Does anyone know if I get someone to send me the new 700 from the US, will it work here - will I be able to purchase books? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I had thought about getting someone to bring me back a PRS-700 from the US, but in the end decided against it because of the various issues I've been reading about on mobileread.com, the latest been dust spots - checkout the following forum for info about this reader:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176

• Registered Users Posts: 5 XYZ1098

very interesting - thanks. Looks like some people there think the 505 is better. I'm torn now.... I really want an eReader but want one sooner than later. I'm thinking the 505 may be best as at least it's available here. Could be inviting all sorts of trouble getting a 700 sent from US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I bought my 505 from this site in the U.S. in 2007
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com

They have the 700 for $399 here before shipping
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/587201-REG/Sony_PRS_700BC_PRS_700BC_Reader_Digital_Book.html

but be aware that you will get caught for Customs and VAT.

The PRS-700 will work fine in Ireland as it doesn't have wireless like the Kindle.

Advertisement