Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

An interesting guy, at 104 he has lived longer than expected, but he took the honourable way out, and on his own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Okay this is just weird.
    Bald–hairy (Russian: лысый–волосатый) is a common joke in Russian political discourse, referring to the empirical rule of the state leaders' succession defined as a change of a bald leader to a hairy one and vice versa. This consistent pattern can be traced back until as early as 1825, when Nicholas I succeeded his late brother Alexander as the Russian Emperor. Nicholas I's son Alexander II formed the first "bald–hairy" pair of the sequence with his father.

The current "bald–hairy" pair of Russian rulers are the balding Vladimir Putin and the hairy Dmitry Medvedev (who has a full head of hair). Putin was the president from 2000 until 2008; Medvedev held the post until 2012, whereupon Putin became president again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald–hairy

Life ain't always empty.

Funny, but in fairness there is very little difference in shagginess within most of those pairings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The ability to detect bullshit is positively associated with pro-social behaviour.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0201474
    Abstract wrote:
    Bullshit-sensitivity is the ability to distinguish pseudo-profound bullshit sentences (e.g. “Your movement transforms universal observations”) from genuinely profound sentences (e.g. “The person who never made a mistake never tried something new”). Although bullshit-sensitivity has been linked to other individual difference measures, it has not yet been shown to predict any actual behavior. We therefore conducted a survey study with over a thousand participants from a general sample of the Swedish population and assessed participants’ bullshit-receptivity (i.e. their perceived meaningfulness of seven bullshit sentences) and profoundness-receptivity (i.e. their perceived meaningfulness of seven genuinely profound sentences), and used these variables to predict two types of prosocial behavior (self-reported donations and a decision to volunteer for charity). Despite bullshit-receptivity and profoundness-receptivity being positively correlated with each other, logistic regression analyses showed that profoundness-receptivity had a positive association whereas bullshit-receptivity had a negative association with both types of prosocial behavior. These relations held up for the most part when controlling for potentially intermediating factors such as cognitive ability, time spent completing the survey, sex, age, level of education, and religiosity. The results suggest that people who are better at distinguishing the pseudo-profound from the actually profound are more prosocial.

robindch wrote: »
    The ability to detect bullshit is positively associated with pro-social behaviour.
    That statement is unfortunately prime bull$hit, because "bull****-receptivity had a negative association with both types of prosocial behavior."

And I should know; being an anti-social b'stard as well as an expert on bull$hitology.

A possible flaw in the methodology is equating pro-social behaviour with donating to charities. A cynic may have concluded that most charities spend most of their income on expenses, whereas the more naive person may believe their donated money is going to a good cause.
    Donation of time is probably a better measure of a pro-social (or altruistic as I would prefer to define it) behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The other possible flaw in the methodology is that it assumes those conducting the study were themselves capapble of distinguishing bullsh!t from profundity. Does the study measure the subjects ability to identify bullsh!t from profundity, or does it merely measure the extent to which they agree with those conducting the study about what is bullsh!t and what is profound? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The other possible flaw in the methodology is that it assumes those conducting the study were themselves capapble of distinguishing bullsh!t from profundity. Does the study measure the subjects ability to identify bullsh!t from profundity, or does it merely measure the extent to which they agree with those conducting the study about what is bullsh!t and what is profound? ;)

Yep, it doesn't take many repetitions to convert a once profound sound-byte into a trite aphorism.

Non-religious alternative to communion ceremony:

https://dublingazette.com/news/west-dublin-news/local-kids-enjoy-big-day-celebration-46297/
    The Finnstown Castle Hotel recently hosted the very first of a new type of ceremony for children who are not making their first holy communion.

My Little Big Day is a non-religious ceremony for children whose classmates were making their Holy Communion.

The event is parent-led, child-centred and not for profit and was the culmination of a year-long project which brought like-minded families together to organise a day of celebration for their children.

Head coordinator of My Little Big Day, Tony O’Donohoe told Dublin Gazette that the idea came about as he is raising his own son Brandon in a non-religious way.

He said: “We’re raising Brandon in a non-religious way. We have him in a multi-denominational school and it was just very apparent that his classmates were going to be making their holy communion and he and a whole other bunch of kids in the school were going to be missing out on the day.

“So we just thought what we could do about it. We don’t want him to be penalised because we’ve decided to raise him in a non-religious way.”

On the day, 12 children from 10 families took part in the ceremony, which saw children add wishes to a “Wish Tree” and read out lines from some of their favourite poems and songs.
    Most of the families involved did not know one another prior to becoming part of the project, and all had the same goal.

As part of the preparation for the ceremony, the children had a play date at BASE in Celbridge, some met for a picnic and games, and they planted a tree locally as well.
    They made new friends, had lots of fun and did something really positive for the environment.

Tony said the group hopes to assist other parents to organise their own ceremonies.
    “If your child’s classmates are due to make their Holy Communion in 2019, but they themselves are not, there is now an alternative,” he said.

“And that alternative is positive, uplifting and has a wonderful message for the children taking part.”

Anyone looking for more information on holding a ceremony can email littlebigdayproject@gmail.com

Life ain't always empty.

Non-religious alternative to communion ceremony.

Paint me cynical, but the snowflake generation seem to be celebrating big days far more regularly than previous generations. I reckon they're sponsored by Hallmark, and of the opinion we should perhaps celebrate achievements only once something notable has actually been achieved.

For those attending catholic schools where everyone else is getting a special day out it is nice that parents and children have a non religious option if they want one. I don't know why you are complaining about "snowflakes" which is a stupid term, these are 8 year old kids you are talking about.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

For those attending catholic schools where everyone else is getting a special day out it is nice that parents and children have a non religious option if they want one. I don't know why you are complaining about "snowflakes" which is a stupid term, these are 8 year old kids you are talking about.

This special day is essentially a bribe in favour of the church, paid for by the parents, as a last ditch attempt to keep the flock in line. Dress up like you're going to a hobbit wedding, publicly acknowledge that Jesus died for your sins and rake the latest iPhone and a PS/4. Dubious enough for those doing it and IMHO doesn't need emulating by those who aren't Catholic. This is the generation that came up with FOMO and I for one have no intention of pandering to it. I think its great to treat the kids to a surprise day or night out every now and again, but not because of someone else's religious festival. It'd be a bit like ordering a take-out last Saturday because the Muslims were enjoying nice nosh to celebrate the end of Eid ul Adha. Why do it?

Put the crack pipe down man.

Life ain't always empty.

smacl wrote: »
    Paint me cynical, but the snowflake generation seem to be celebrating big days far more regularly than previous generations.
    Can't say I've ever noticed that, nor do I think that using the derogatory far-right term "snowflake" adds anything to your argument.

The problem of how to deal with not-unreasonably pissed-off kids - too young to understand that the church offers this expensive, glitzy day out in order to guarantee more meat for its mills - is real.

Can't say I've ever noticed that, nor do I think that using the derogatory far-right term "snowflake" adds anything to your argument.

Been through it twice. In the ET primary ours went to it was a 'Day of celebration' and to my mind was a nonsense.
    The problem of how to deal with not-unreasonably pissed-off kids - too young to understand that the church offers this expensive, glitzy day out in order to guarantee more meat for its mills - is real.

By pissed off, you mean jealous, and what they're specifically jealous of isn't the ceremony so much as the wads of cash being waved around the next day. Is the plan to parade the kids around the relatives to stump up for a faux religious ceremony? Unless you come up with the spons the kids will still be plenty jealous. My approach has been and still is to celebrate things worth celebrating where pandering to jealousy doesn't make the list. This can be as simple as just wanting to have a great day out or night out with your kids which we do regularly.

FWIW, I think the notion of a snowflake generation and the helicopter parents that pander to them to excess is pretty apt, derogatory as some may find it. I don't for a moment believe it benefits the children. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

having been at a bunch of everything from baptisms to funerals lately ive become less cynical about them, they bring people together and people go out of their way to be at them so again makes them more special. whereas a makey uppy baby naming ceremony would just feel like a pale imitation and would lack the sense of occasion

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

silverharp wrote: »
    ...whereas a makey uppy baby naming ceremony would just feel like a pale imitation and would lack the sense of occasion

If you're not Catholic, a baptism is a makey uppy baby naming ceremony.

Dithering on whether to post this here or in the funnies;

Indiana Locals Are Upset Over Satanists Picking Up Trash On The Roads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cant say I agree

https://www.dw.com/en/calling-prophet-muhammad-a-pedophile-does-not-fall-within-freedom-of-speech-european-court/a-46050749
    An Austrian woman's conviction for calling the Prophet Muhammad a pedophile did not violate her freedom of speech, the European Court of Human Rights ruled Thursday.

The Strasbourg-based ECHR ruled that Austrian courts carefully balanced the applicant's "right to freedom of expression with the right of others to have their religious feelings protected, and served the legitimate aim of preserving religious peace in Austria."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The skeptics forum is closed, so I'll post here

https://twitter.com/photoscork/status/1056852903258963968?s=21

What do ye make of this ? mixed shots ? long exposure and bloke walked out of frame halfway through ??

Hard to say, it could be just photoshopped in. You'd really have to know the person who took the photo.

This CCTV footage from a Cork school is pretty good stuff. I saw the principal of the school interviewed on TV and he "seemed" to believe it was genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

This was published the other day in the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/atheists-in-foxholes-1.3708473
    Atheists in foxholes

Sir, – In response to a recent freedom of information request, our Defence Forces have confirmed that the chaplains in our military are appointed by bishops. As last reported to the Dail, the State spends approximately €1 million a year on military chaplain salaries, with one being Church of Ireland and the remaining 17 being Roman Catholic.

It is often said by military chaplains that “there are no atheists in foxholes”, but in fact it would be closer to the truth to say that there are more atheists in foxholes than chaplains in foxholes.

Atheists in uniform are as entitled as anyone else to relevant counsel about the ethics and morality of putting themselves and others in harm’s way. It is hugely disrespectful to atheists in our military (and inconsistent with the Employment Equality Act) that the Minister for Defence insists they may only receive counsel from a priest appointed by a bishop. Moreover, endowing bishops with these hugely valuable appointments is also inconsistent with Article 44.2.2 of the Constitution.

Today a person who carries a Bible into a church is paid more than twice as much by our Defence Forces as a person who carries a rifle into a foxhole.

The Minister should immediately revise the Defence Forces regulations to bring these well-remunerated military chaplaincy roles into line with best practice in public appointments.

All chaplaincy positions should be open to applicants of all faiths or none, and awarded to the best candidate for the job. – Yours, etc,

JOHN HAMILL,

Castleblayney,

Co Monaghan.

https://atheist.ie/2018/11/irish-defence-forces-evangelise/

https://atheist.ie/2018/11/chaplains-in-the-irish-defence-forces/

Life ain't always empty.

A handwritten letter by Albert Einstein in which the physicist doubts the existence of God has been auctioned in New York for $2.9m.
    "The word God is for me nothing but the expression and product of human weaknesses," Einstein wrote.
    "The Bible, a collection of venerable but still rather primitive legends."
    A very expensive firelighter for Pope Frank?

The Temple of Satan has added some religious symbols to festive displays at government buildings in Illinois:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46453544
    https://www.sj-r.com/news/20181203/satanic-temple-monument-added-to-illinois-capitol-rotunda-displays

A christian group has objected, though the symbols remain in place for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Temple of Satan has added some religious symbols to festive displays at government buildings in Illinois:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46453544
    https://www.sj-r.com/news/20181203/satanic-temple-monument-added-to-illinois-capitol-rotunda-displays

A christian group has objected, though the symbols remain in place for the time being.
    The linked newspaper report does not suggest that there have been any objections from Christian groups to the inclusion of the Satanic symbols in the display.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I had heard about this before, but something on the news recently brought it to my attention again, can’t remember what it was specifically, but there have been interesting developments with regard to human reproduction in medicine and technology -

First UK womb transplant 'by end of 2018'

Still prohibitively expensive for most people I would imagine, and we haven’t even legislated for surrogacy in Ireland yet (I don’t know whether we will or we won’t at some point in the future), but it’s still interesting to see what they’re doing in other countries.

A very clever monument.
    There are many atrocious episodes and bad lessons taught by the old testament, but only some of them made the leap into modern Christianity.
    Two of the worst lessons that are still regularly rehashed are the expulsion of Adam and Eve from paradise for wanting to acquire knowledge, and the willingness of Abraham to martyr (slit the throat of) his own child after hearing the voice of god in his head, egging him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The linked newspaper report does not suggest that there have been any objections from Christian groups to the inclusion of the Satanic symbols in the display.

I think they were referring to the picture retweeted by IL Family Group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had heard about this before, but something on the news recently brought it to my attention again, can’t remember what it was specifically, but there have been interesting developments with regard to human reproduction in medicine and technology -

First UK womb transplant 'by end of 2018'

Still prohibitively expensive for most people I would imagine, and we haven’t even legislated for surrogacy in Ireland yet (I don’t know whether we will or we won’t at some point in the future), but it’s still interesting to see what they’re doing in other countries.
    The first birth from an organ donor womb actually took place the other day;
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/04/woman-gives-birth-using-womb-transplanted-from-dead-donor

I don't believe there is any legal issue with this. Transplant of non-essential organs is a bit of a grey area, it may be a matter for the medical council to rule on.

Like you say, expensive. Probably not something the HSE will ever fund.

It opens up the fundies though for a whole new avenue of wailing; donation of a womb into a trans woman for the purposes of giving birth.

Advertisement