Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

loftus hall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

6th wrote: »
    Its going by Auction so thats not really an option.

Could all pool our money together :P;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Had been in the pub years back and finally got to do the tour recently. It is like a "haunted house" Disney would spend millions on- peeling wall paper, big old fireplaces, windows boarded over, whether you believe the stories or not, the tour is either a) good fun or b) cary. . You're not allowed to take photos inside ,but the stairs and entrance hall are worth the price of the tour alone.

Wouldn't stay overnight there ,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

There's a story doing the rounds at the minute regarding a photo supposedly showing a little girl in one of the downstairs windows.
    Here's the link: http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/27/ghost-of-little-girl-photographed-in-notorious-haunted-mansion-loftus-hall-4848380/

And here's the photo:7z2bpw.jpg

Doesn't seem a whole lot in it to me.
    Could easily be a reflection.
    Possibly just a publicity stunt - the tours seem to be doing quite well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

pity there isnt a larger picture as it looks like reflection to me. are we that desperate in this country to see ghosts?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its a reflection. There's the reflection of another person's head below the girl and you can see the top of their actual head just at the edge of the frame.

They'd make a story out of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Seems to be getting a lot of traction on 'news' sites.
    You'd know it was silly season anyway.

Can't see how anyone would think it's anything other than a reflection tbh.

this one is even scarier

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It must cost a fortune to do all the work that needs doing, so I don't begrudge the owners the odd photo on social media!

gouche wrote: »
    Possibly just a publicity stunt - the tours seem to be doing quite well at the moment.

Nail / Head , you hit it.

has anyone noticed that the Loftus Hall wiki has changed from saying:

"Loftus Hall was built by the 4th Marquis of Ely in 1870-1871 on the ruins of Redmond Hall, which had existed since 1350. Redmond Hallbecame the property of the Loftus family in 1666, and afterwards the old mansion became known as Loftus Hall."

to:

"The building that exists today was not built between 1870 and 1871 as many people believe. The Hall was in fact renovated extentively before a visit by Queen Victoria."

Jaysus, talk about hood winking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭solarplexus

Hi All,
    Myself and my partner visited Loftus Hall last year and I have to say it is an amazing place... I didn't see anything on that occasion

But last month my sister and her hubby and the kids went to Loftus Hall and did the tour... When they were in the Chapel room my 7 year old niece said she say a man, in dark clothing, layered clothing walk along the wall and then disappear... she didnt say anything until she got home but then her dad admitted to seeing the same thing. So I asked them to draw what they had each seen and they drew the same drawing of the man...... looked perhaps like a priest...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hi All,
    Myself and my partner visited Loftus Hall last year and I have to say it is an amazing place... I didn't see anything on that occasion

But last month my sister and her hubby and the kids went to Loftus Hall and did the tour... When they were in the Chapel room my 7 year old niece said she say a man, in dark clothing, layered clothing walk along the wall and then disappear... she didnt say anything until she got home but then her dad admitted to seeing the same thing. So I asked them to draw what they had each seen and they drew the same drawing of the man...... looked perhaps like a priest...

Love hearing all the stories. Shame ye didn't get to see anything.. I think twas more nuns were in the hall but sure maybe they had a priest visit the odd time!! :eek: Yeah I have noticed there is lots of Publicity things on with Loftus spotted a pic there in the Irish examiner too. But sure what harm still love the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Agree totally, especially when looking at the same'quality' reflection of the other person..

Oryx wrote: »
    Its a reflection. There's the reflection of another person's head below the girl and you can see the top of their actual head just at the edge of the frame.

They'd make a story out of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I did the tour about 4 weeks ago, there was a little girl about 3, her big sister and her mother on the tour. The kids were not really suitably aged and the mother spent most of the time herding them. After we were in the girls bedroom something very dramatic happened.
    The mother had the 3 year old in here arms and she started looking up the staircase landing and pointing really weirdly , hard to explain but strangely slowly and saying "man.....man.... Dave.....".
    The mother was genuinely spooked as she was saying the both she and the little girl did not know any Daves..! Our guide didnt make any connection but after we got back to after the tour and another member of staff said there was a Dave found hanged at the house a few years ago.

another member of staff said there was a Dave found hanged at the house a few years ago.

Can't seem to find any news reports about that. What puts me off Loftus Hall and its ghosts is the fact that they seem very interested in changing the history of the place to suit the ghost stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

The original house was knocked to the ground in 1870 and the present building was completed in 1871. The present building was built close to Redmonds Hall (the original building) but not in the same location. This is documented in a number of places, by a number of authors and official bodies and the reports all correlate. Anne Tottenham's room was in the original Redmonds Hall building and it's location in the building was documented. Anne never had a room in the present building because it did not exist when she was alive. Anne died on November 9th, 1775 and she was buried in the vault at St Mogue's Church in Fethard-on-Sea.

Having completed incredibly detailed research on Loftus Hall, there was never any record of a "Dave" having been found hanged there. This therefore is a figment of somebody's imagination. The last unusual occurrence was an accident at the private beach in 1901 where a local young man was drowned in a swimming accident and his name was very definitely not Dave.

As to the previous post about the man in dark clothing, were you not made aware that there are projectors installed in the building?

These days, Loftus Hall is a multimedia experience and little more than a circus.

I think they've changed the loftus hall wiki page to say something like it wasnt demolished, merely renovated. pretty thorough renovation.

In fact it says:
    The building that exists today was not built between 1870 and 1871 as many people believe. The Hall was in fact renovated extentively before a visit by Queen Victoria.

'extentively' is their word. I would have said 'extensively' myself.

maccored wrote: »
    I think they've changed the loftus hall wiki page to say something like it wasnt demolished, merely renovated. pretty thorough renovation.

In fact it says:

'extentively' is their word. I would have said 'extensively' myself.

Doesn't add up. Queen Victoria visited Ireland 4 times, in 1849, 1853, 1861 and 1900

Doesn't add up. Queen Victoria visited Ireland 4 times, in 1849, 1853, 1861 and 1900
    On the tour I took, the guide said she was supposed to come, but didnt.

intriguing. they should change their wiki once more to say "The Hall was in fact renovated extentively before a visit by Queen Victoria - but the fecker never showed."

The paranormal field is bad enough without places like loftus hall purposely misleading people.

• Advertisement

LOL Oryx ...and you were supposed to swallow it hook, line and sinker but you didn't.

The whole place is nothing but a joke. From what I can see, they're making up the story as they go along. As a building, fantastic place! As a multimedia experience, possibly! As a location of paranormal interest, definitely not!

I fail to understand why people will pay money to be spun stories that have no historical basis and are quite obviously (based on the evidence) made up to suit the occasion. Now that's scary!

Sure they even say one of the ground floor reception rooms was a bedroom. :)

Sure they even say one of the ground floor reception rooms was a bedroom. :)

In the present building which was completed in 1871, that was by all accounts the "Morning Room" of John Henry Graham Wellington Loftus, the 4th Marquess of Ely.

The Tapestry Room was in the original Redmonds Hall building (which subsequently became known as Loftus Hall) and was on the first floor to the front of the building. It was also used to provide accomodation for visitors when the need arose and it has been suggested that it may have become Anne's room at one point but there doesn't appear to be a lot of evidence to back this up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Here's a spooky account of piracy near Loftus Hall from the Leeds Intelligencer of 1762; maybe Miss Tottenham's mysterious stranger disembarked from this vessel :cool:

lofth_zps88a2acc8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Im really sorry, it seems like I got my facts badly incorrect. The name was not Dave , it was Micheal. It was the name of the last owner and nothing about a hanging. My wife is really having a good laugh at my overactive and forgetful imagination. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

I was on the tour of the house only this weekend and found the house eerie but interesting. The tour guide was very tongue in cheek about the whole haunting thing. However, he did mention that the current owners had found something like 56 holy statues all missing their heads. Having read this thread through, nobody has mentioned this before and I am wondering if anyone knows anything of the veracity of this claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

childsplay wrote: »
    I was on the tour of the house only this weekend and found the house eerie but interesting. The tour guide was very tongue in cheek about the whole haunting thing. However, he did mention that the current owners had found something like 56 holy statues all missing their heads. Having read this thread through, nobody has mentioned this before and I am wondering if anyone knows anything of the veracity of this claim?

I heard about the statues missing their heads too. Not sure how true it is either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Year's ago ceramic holy statues had bigger than average heads,when they would topple over sometimes the head would crack off.
    They wouldn't discard the statues,they would hold onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Year's ago ceramic holy statues had bigger than average heads,when they would topple over sometimes the head would crack off. They wouldn't discard the statues,they would hold onto them.

That makes sense. I remember my Mother having statues of the holy family and the heads did break off. The neck would be the weak point because they're thinner.

• Advertisement

When I was in it when it was a pub/hotel, there were very few statues in the place-some were scattered around the back of the bar but that was it. The mosaic floor in the entrance hall was supposed to have been done by Italian craftsmen who then had their hands chopped off to prevent them replicating the floor elsewhere. Again,no basis for this in fact. Look, I don't begrudge the owners who bought the place and saved it, from making money off it, but I do object to makey-uppy stuff!

Advertisement