Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a Theme 12 (VOAT)

• 26-11-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭

It's time for another Variations on a Theme contest. This one is number 12 and the theme this time will be open to everyone, with no maximum number of entrants and no requirement to state your intention to participate beforehand.

To enter, simply write a short story of up to 2000 words. The limit is strict this time: 2001 words means instant disqualification. There is no lower limit.

The theme of the story this time round is as follows:

A Muppet Story (before or after they were famous).

The scope is any muppet(s) from The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock or Sesame Street. Use as few or as many as you like.

You may submit and resubmit at any time between the moment you receive your synopsis and the end of the contest by PMing me (Mr E) your story. The competition will close at 23.59:59 on the 8th of December 2013.

For anyone new to our short story contests, you can see previous editions here and here.

Some stories themselves can be seen here and here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

How are people getting on? Will we have submissions in 4 days? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just saw this. Enthused!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive done nothing :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oryx wrote: »
    Ive done nothing :(

That's a submission if ever I heard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I might get a chance to do some scribbling at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

As usual these VOAT competitions are proving much harder than you expect but I'll try to come up from something readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

400 words written, struggling for direction. Can someone tell me how to get to....

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Achillles wrote: »
    400 words written, struggling for direction. Can someone tell me how to get to....

. . . Viridian City?

Repeat to yourself, Achillles, there's no place like 2000 words, there's no place like 2000 words . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

There's also no place like bed is the problem. Maybe I'll combine the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Achillles wrote: »
    There's also no place like bed is the problem. Maybe I'll combine the two!

You sound a little "green" right now. Hopefully, you awake tomorrow and can hop to it . . . 2000 words is easy, but not easy when you're feeling green.

When I read Mr E's challenge, I, not being a big Muppet fanboi, immediately thought of a story centred around calling someone a muppet, or a fruitbat, or [insert endearing judgementalism here,] so if you have a story where you call someone a muppet just once, then I would say you've satisfied the requirements of the contest.

Or maybe I'm just being a fruitbat?

NB: I thought of the term: "fruitbat" early on, but later, just for the heck of it, I typed "muppet fruitbat" into YouTube and got a hit. It seems Jim Henson was exceedingly diverse in his subject matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Stories have been posted to this thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ack. I got mine started but the fates (i.e. my kids) conspired and I couldn't get back to it on time.

Off to read now!

Advertisement