Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I have the CM9 (ICS) Rom on my S2 now.

Battery seems okay but I'm wondering, of all the other Kernels out there, which if any will work with CM9? I know CM9 auto installs KP8 or whatever but I'm talking about flashing a seperate kernel after CM9.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

mathie wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best current way to root the S2?
    thanks

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

mathie wrote: »
    Anyone?

This is how to Auto Root.I followed this video when I originally got the phone

Litening Pro is now longer supported but its now been developed under the name Ultra Toxic. I am currently using this. You can find the details at

XDA

It aint rocket science but just be wary it voids the warranty and you may brick your phone. I had no issues

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Testament1

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dammer

Might not be a hardcore modders question as I have not yet rooted my GSII.... Yet. But as it is a sort of modding...

Has anyone flashed the official Samsung "alpha" pre release ROMS on to their GSII? 4.03 is meant to be pretty satble - Yes it still has Touchwiz :rolleyes:

How did they get on?
    Any probs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Does anyone have any good links or videos/guides for installing CM9 ROM? I havent done a ROM upgrade before so would like a good guide...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

nellocono wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good links or videos/guides for installing CM9 ROM? I havent done a ROM upgrade before so would like a good guide...

Thanks
    heres the xda thread
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1410400

i absolutely, would not recommend it as your first rom tbh.
    you wont get any support with it if something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

Lads I am mad for some Ice Cream Sandwich. Anyone see or use any stable enough ROMs out there yet? Can't find anything amazing in the maze that is XDA forums yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭marathonic

pedatron wrote: »
    Lads I am mad for some Ice Cream Sandwich. Anyone see or use any stable enough ROMs out there yet? Can't find anything amazing in the maze that is XDA forums yet.

I'm currently on Cognition S2 v1.6 and am happy enough with it. Obviously, I do intend to upgrade to ICS. However, I'm in no rush and am going to wait until a few good ROM's are released with it and a lot of reviews are available/bugs are fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

pedatron wrote: »

I am using Codeworx's experimental CM9 build, and it's ok for day to day use. I'm sure there's lots not working, but to date the only noticeable things for me have been:

FM Radio: Has always been an issue on SGS2 with CM
    Video: Not working, recording or playing any video content (youtube or netflix)
    Viber: Keeps crashing on me so I uninstalled it

But for me, phone works, email works, camera works and browsing works which is 95% of what I use my phone for on a day to day basis.

UI is nice to, haven't bothered installing ADW Launcher Ex because I like the stock launcher

• Advertisement

I also changed my radio to KP8 from KI4, and don't know whether it's this or the ROM but data can be a bit ...... iffy, particularly when going back to mobile data from wifi -it just doesn't connect sometimes.

Also wifi does seem to be hogging a lot of juice at work (where I guess signal is not super, and I'm walking around the building a lot) All was going fine until I decided to switch wifi on at work :eek:
    Screenshot_2012-01-17-13-14-52.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Samsung beta build of ICS leaked:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/new-ice-cream-sandwich-rom-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-leaks-we-try-it-out-on-video-video/

Going to wait for official version to be honest, backing up all your stuff is a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Samsung beta build of ICS leaked:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/new-ice-cream-sandwich-rom-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-leaks-we-try-it-out-on-video-video/

Going to wait for official version to be honest, backing up all your stuff is a pain.

Its 4.03 , I used it and it chews batteries for dinner. I couldnt see any advantage to it over the Gingerbread releases to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Finally upgraded my HTC Desire to a SGS2 yesterday, immediately rooted it (can't believe how simple it was!) and put CheckRom v4 onto it. Very impressed so far with it.

Just a quick query though - i've noticed a lot of talk of alternative kernels such as Siyah, does anyone have experience with these and whether they're worth using? Do they offer much in the way of improvements?

Switched back to Checkrom last night, the issue really was that the mobile data was very temperamental, and required reboots to get it working again. That just became a pain. Miss the ICS UI though :(

Hopefully CM will have it working soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aidog

Went to batista foxhound during the week and didnt like it so im back with trusty chriskelo rom with kh3 modem,siyah 2.6.6 kernal,easy to download different kernels and modems with his addons :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aidog

aidog wrote: »
    Went to batista foxhound during the week and didnt like it so im back with trusty chriskelo rom with kh3 modem,siyah 2.6.6 kernal,easy to download different kernels and modems with his addons :-)

I also had a problem with viber but fixed permissions and cleared cache and now is workin fine

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Got me a SG2 on upgrade this week. Has anyone used this or similar to Root?

http://theunlockr.com/2011/12/01/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-all-versions/

Are there any other methods that are more common? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Zagato wrote: »
    Switched back to Checkrom last night, the issue really was that the mobile data was very temperamental, and required reboots to get it working again. That just became a pain. Miss the ICS UI though :(

Did you install the KP8 kernel on CM9? This fixes the data connection issue. (Basically I was losing data every time the phone went into deep sleep).

Got me a SG2 on upgrade this week. Has anyone used this or similar to Root?

http://theunlockr.com/2011/12/01/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-all-versions/

Are there any other methods that are more common? Thanks in advance.

That's how I do it anyway. Using CF-Root.

• Advertisement

seanp_25 wrote: »

Did you install the KP8 kernel on CM9? This fixes the data connection issue. (Basically I was losing data every time the phone went into deep sleep).

No, don't think so. It was a KP8 based build, I think, and I changed the radio to KP8 (which wasn't great either) but I never flashed a separate kernel. Did you just use Chainfire's one?

I was loading data without it going to sleep, would reboot, go straight to browser, getthrough a few pages, and suddenly no connection, would still have a H in the status bar

No, don't think so. It was a KP8 based build, I think, and I changed the radio to KP8 (which wasn't great either) but I never flashed a separate kernel. Did you just use Chainfire's one?

I was loading data without it going to sleep, would reboot, go straight to browser, getthrough a few pages, and suddenly no connection, would still have a H in the status bar

Yeah this was happening to me too.

I don't think the CM9 builds have had the KP8 kernel for while (might be wrong there), anyway with the recent ones you need to flash a KP8 kernel afterwards (yeah I used the latest KP8 CF-Root).

The modem version doesn't seem to matter. I was confused about this too, I thought I'd need to go back to an older modem to fix the data connection issue, but no, it's an older kernel that's needed.

Yeah, I tried going back to KI4 radio, and the number of signal bars improved alright, but still had the data connection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Came across this earlier, thought it might be of use to some people.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21445390

Its a patch for the GPS, I have on occasion experienced the S2 not locking on for over 10mins, and other times its lightening fast in 2 or 3 seconds. Hoping this'll give it a bit more consistancy.

I'm flashing it now and will see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hi all a mate gave me a galaxy s gt 19001 to unlock but i cant seem to find any guide,s i have rooted the phone no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Been using CheckROM RevoHDv4 for the last couple of weeks. The battery is much better than the last rom I was using (Ligh'ning Rom).

Few bugs though. The flightmode is very temperamental. Sometimes it goes into flightmode by itself? Also a couple times I would check my phone and it would be switched off.

The strangest thing happen yesterday though. The battery discharged normally and got the low battery warning at 15%. Checked a few minutes later and it was back up to 40%. I took a couple screenshots below and you can see in the graph where the battery acted funny.

Plus side, the battery lasted the longest I ever had the phone with medium usage of 2 days 6hours :)

Graph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I hope it fits here (modding thread).
    I bought a small solar panel (60mmx80mm - that's the space on the back of S2), a micro 5V@100mA voltage regulator and microusb plug. The plan is to make a micro solar charger that could provide more power than the phone comsumes - (read: infinite battery life). It' seems to be possible in full sunlight :D

Anyone tried something like that?

AntiRip wrote: »
    Been using CheckROM RevoHDv4 for the last couple of weeks. The battery is much better than the last rom I was using (Ligh'ning Rom).

Few bugs though. The flightmode is very temperamental. Sometimes it goes into flightmode by itself? Also a couple times I would check my phone and it would be switched off.

The strangest thing happen yesterday though. The battery discharged normally and got the low battery warning at 15%. Checked a few minutes later and it was back up to 40%. I took a couple screenshots below and you can see in the graph where the battery acted funny.

Plus side, the battery lasted the longest I ever had the phone with medium usage of 2 days 6hours :)

Graph

could you link me to the rom and a good kernel cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

massy086 wrote: »
    could you link me to the rom and a good kernel cheers

Rom

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312240

There's an application within the rom called kitchen pro where you can flash themes, kernels, modems, etc.

Kernel

I use Siyah v2.6.6

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »
    Rom

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312240

There's an application within the rom called kitchen pro where you can flash themes, kernels, modems, etc.

Kernel

I use Siyah v2.6.6

cheers for that im already on it and its giving me problems like the phone freezing and locking up

Advertisement