Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Odd issue with Network Adapter on startup?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

:confused:

This one really has me stumped. I'm running Vista x64 and using the built in network adapter on my Asus Rampage Formula mobo.

The oddity is that I have a gigabit network between my main pc and my HTPC, but whenever I start my main pc the network adapter reads in Vista as only 100Mb/s, and transfer speeds confirm this (usually they are capped below 10MB/s)

I go to "Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network Connections" and right click on the adapter and check "status". To fix this, after the system has finished booting I have to right click on the adapter, disable it, and then enable it again. After this it gets picked up as 1.0Gb/s and the transfer speeds are normal.

I'm not having this issue on the HTPC so I've ruled out the gigabit router, I've also swapped around the ports on the router to no effect.

I don't understand it. The gigabit connection is working and I never have corruption issues, but something is happening at boot time that is defaulting the connection speed to 100Mb/s? :confused: Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you AUTO Negotiation on (enabled) in the NIC settings?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Have you AUTO Negotiation on (enabled) in the NIC settings?

-

Yes. I've tried manually setting it to "1000 Mbps Full Duplex" but when I do and restart it comes up as "Network Cable Disconnected". If I disable then re-enable the adapter it picks it up then fine as 1.0Gbps... like I said, very odd. It's like something is happening at boot that is setting it to 100 Mbps. But once Vista has loaded and a I re-enable the adapter it picks up the correct speed fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sounds like its setting itself to Wake on Lan 100Mbs on boot, try turning WOL off and setting speed to 1Gbps full duplex. I've also a gigabit network and had to set my speeds manually on each pc, auto negotiation didn't work for me

Advertisement