Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I can't understand how anyone can get an A1 in French :pac: My Teacher was telling me how one of her students last year got an A1 and left an hour before the exam, I was just sitting there in total disbelief at how anyone could manage an A1 in something so unpredictable!

You got an A1 in the Mock didn't you? Jeez. Well done like!

I can only manage A1's in Business where it's basically the same questions every year tbh! No thinking necessary! Suits me perfectly!
    Yup, one mark less and I wouldnt have gotten it, the stupid teacher who did my oral was really harsh and probably trying to downgrade me but he didnt know what he was dealing with :cool: :L I find business much harder to do well in, your constant A1s in it baffle me :pac:
    Is it really the same qs every year? Is it better than geography?! :P I havent ever had the chance to do all of them because my teacher just aaaaalways read the book so it wasted a lot of my time :( I've noticed repetition but ahh, the cramming is killing me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Has anyone else got maths modules on your course next year?
    All of mine do apart from the one I applied to in England, which is why I need to get the grades for there lol.

Dear god no, I was almost going to do a business course til I realized it involved matrices, the one thing we never did in maths so my HL maths would have still been useless to me. Maths can steer clear of me until my potential kids need help with it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Dear god no, I was almost going to do a business course til I realized it involved matrices, the one thing we never did in maths so my HL maths would have still been useless to me. Maths can steer clear of me until my potential kids need help with it. :pac:

Matrices are grand, only problem is they're not worth 50 marks! :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Matrices are grand, only problem is they're not worth 50 marks! :P
    They really dont look so bad, and last year it looked like it said evaluate PIMP :D But the fact that the one thing I hadnt done was cropping up just ripped my soul to shreds :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Eww. Just looked at the 2011 Applied Maths Marking Scheme- it looks like my worst nightmare. Serious congrats to anyone who can manage stuff like that, it truly boggles my brain tbh :cool:

My first applied maths class went completely over my head, I came out of it thinking "what...the...****." :L It starts to come together after a while though! I'd be seriously impressed if it made sense to someone right away.

Just got a whole Q2 right, on my first attempt :D:D:D I won't sleep tonight until I understand Q2! Then, not going to school tomorrow, I think I'll make it an applied maths day. Starting to want the A1 now, I WILL get it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Just finished school today, thought we'd be finished on wednesday but we got a text so apparently we're done today!

Not sure how to feel tbh

finality wrote: »
    My first applied maths class went completely over my head, I came out of it thinking "what...the...****." :L It starts to come together after a while though! I'd be seriously impressed if it made sense to someone right away.

I was wondering if people would just get it straight away or whether it takes time and practice and all that.

I'm sure most papers look impossible to people who don't do the subject, the maths and science ones definitely would anyway!

I was wondering if people would just get it straight away or whether it takes time and practice and all that.

I'm sure most papers look impossible to people who don't do the subject, the maths and science ones definitely would anyway!

Even now, looking at the questions we haven't covered in class, I wouldn't have a clue how to do them.

I think a business paper would seem impossible to me, never did business even for JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Is it really the same qs every year? Is it better than geography?! :P I havent ever had the chance to do all of them because my teacher just aaaaalways read the book so it wasted a lot of my time :( I've noticed repetition but ahh, the cramming is killing me! :o

Well a lot of Business is common sense, so in that regard a lot of the questions are fairly similar each year! I hate Geography, hate it. Got a B1 in the Mocks and did a savage project, but don't think I have enough time to learn everything well enough to get the A2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Anyone else ever get those moments where everyone else is talking about a subject and you think "Crap, I really need to study for that!"

....And then you realise that you don't actually do the subject in question? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Even now, looking at the questions we haven't covered in class, I wouldn't have a clue how to do them.

I think a business paper would seem impossible to me, never did business even for JC.

Ah Business is a babe <3. Best subject on the Leaving IMO. Here's a couple of questions on a business paper if you wanna satisfy your curiosity! :pac:

Andd i'll throw in some good 'auld Economics for the crack like! :P

Ah Business is a babe <3. Best subject on the Leaving IMO. Here's a couple of questions on a business paper if you wanna satisfy your curiosity! :pac:

Andd i'll throw in some good 'auld Economics for the crack like! :P

Looks like you could nearly guess your way to a pass in business. :P The economics is complete gibberish to me.

Well a lot of Business is common sense, so in that regard a lot of the questions are fairly similar each year! I hate Geography, hate it. Got a B1 in the Mocks and did a savage project, but don't think I have enough time to learn everything well enough to get the A2.
    Exactly, thats how I got my B3, waffling about technology I use at home really :L I got a B2 in my geo mock, 4 marks off a B1 but my teacher took 8 marks off my regional because of his weird obsession with headings :S The marking scheme got things wrong, and my teacher doesnt do OC marks in the option for some reason so yeah, I think I deserved an A. With all the stuff youre learning youll be covered!

I'm determined to get an A2 at least because I hate how geography is so easy but I cant do well in it because my teacher chose the hardest bits to do :( The other class have my English teacher, he isnt even qualified and his grades are the highest of all the classes! >_>

I s'pose I'd find Business pretty hard, I only did it in first year. Any subject I don't do would look impossible though. Music, Construction, Biology, etc. Geography would be the one okay one though, I'd have a tiny bit of a clue for some parts. My friends were always revising it last year and I always knew the Junior Cert version of what they were doing which is a start at least! Made me wish I did Geography. :L

Religion would be alright at Junior Cert level too if you never did the subject. I did it and as a piss take I wrote 'Jesus' as an answer to one of the short questions in my mock. Got full marks for it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Religion would be alright at Junior Cert level too if you never did the subject. I did it and as a piss take I wrote 'Jesus' as an answer to one of the short questions in my mock. Got full marks for it. :pac:

Religion ended up being my only B "/ I thought I was going to waffle my way through it :P :pac:

In junior cert home ec, in the pre, one of the questions was
    "how do you use a pressure cooker?"
    I had no idea and wrote,
    "you put the food in the pressure cooker, you turn on the pressure cooker, you let the food cook"
    and I got like half marks for it. :L
    Another question was "how do you properly care for a fridge?"
    My answer: "don't slam the door when closing the fridge"

oh junior cert home ec. Ruined my grade pattern though, I should've done something else instead.

Remember CSPE lads? <3 If only it was a Leaving Cert subject. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I dunno I was asked what the letters CSPE stand for in a test before and I didn't know :L

• Advertisement

Finished that exam in 29 minutes and got an A. Proudest moment of my life. Waiting around outside for everyone else to finish was no fun though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Haven't been around these parts in a while, how's everyone holding up? :)

No. I got a B, I'm such a failure :(

Finished that exam in 29 minutes and got an A. Proudest moment of my life. Waiting around outside for everyone else to finish was no fun though. :(

I think my A might have taken me 40 minutes. I remember worrying it'd take me an hour because I didn't want to be the last to leave but I still wanted an A. :pac: Ended up being one of the first to leave. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I spent aaages drawing a poster :pac:
    I was artsy back then.

EDIT: Got an A btw.. may not be much but when someone asks, how many A's did you get in your JC it does make a difference :L

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

When I finished I thought I made several mistakes.

Then I realised it's just CSPE.

I think my A might have taken me 40 minutes. I remember worrying it'd take me an hour because I didn't want to be the last to leave but I still wanted an A. :pac: Ended up being one of the first to leave. :D

I was the very first. Nobody else came out for about an HOUR. :mad:

Joey. wrote: »
    Haven't been around these parts in a while, how's everyone holding up? :)

No. I got a B, I'm such a failure :(

Not bad, yourself? :)

Ah I know loads who got Bs and Cs, it was a weird subject.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    I spent aaages drawing a poster :pac:
    I was artsy back then.

EDIT: Got an A btw.. may not be much but when someone asks, how many A's did you get in your JC it does make a difference :L

I specifically didn't do the poster question so I could get out faster :D

I was the very first. Nobody else came out for about an HOUR. :mad:

Really? :eek: I went out and I was like 'phew, I'm not the last of my friends to finish!' Our main aim going into the exam was to leave as soon as possible!

One class in our year had a teacher who took it really seriously and told them not to leave early. :( Poor things! :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I didn't really study for the JC until like 2 weeks before .
    Cspe was so boring lol I remember when we had to learn sphe as well that was kinda interesting even though there wasn't a test.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement